I posted this question a year ago, but no one was able to really help me because I didn't really have much information about the problem.
I bought my Vypyr 3 years ago. I had had it for a year when this buzzing problem began to arise. It was bad at first, just a little background static, but it eventually turned into a big problem that made the amp mostly unusable. What happens is whenever I pick a bass note, anything lower than the open D string, it creates this obnoxious static noise. After a few minutes of use, the higher notes begin to crackle horribly as well. It eventually gets so annoying that I have to shut the amp off. I thought it was a blown speaker for the longest time, but just yesterday I switched the speaker out for a brand new one with no issues. I turned on the amp, and I still had the same issues. Just out of curiosity, I put the Vypyr speaker into a practice amp I have. There was no buzzing, which means the issue is in the wiring or something. I don't know if there's something loose or not properly grounded, or even if I can fix the problem, but it's an amazing amp and I really want to fix it. I'm hoping one of you guys reading this has a solution. Is there a way to fix this, or is the amp a lost cause? I've got my fingers crossed for a fix, because otherwise I'm stuck with a crummy practice amp .

Thanks

Just as a little additional information, there is nothing wrong with my guitars, cables, or distortion pedal. I've tried my stuff on three other amps and I only have this issue on the Vypyr, which definitely means there's something wrong with the amp itself, not my gear. The amp has the issue everywhere in the house. I've tried different outlets, placing the amp on higher spots or on carpet and wood, almost anything I could think of. I always play at low volumes, definitely not high enough to blow a speaker or damage something.
Last edited by Skodward714 at Mar 8, 2013,
can you check the insert jack and firmware?

that's all I can think of for this amp.

I hate to say it but a $99 amp that is 3 years old could technically be considered 'disposable' at this point.

Get a used Vypyr 60 for $250
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I hate to say it but a $99 amp that is 3 years old could technically be considered 'disposable' at this point.

I'll have to take a look at the jack, I don't think I have yet. And I don't think it's good that a 3 year old $100 amp is disposable, considering my 20 year old $80 practice amp works fine. I kind of don't want to buy a new amp, but if I can't fix mine I probably will have to. I'm definitely going to get another Vypyr, but a 60 might be a bit big for me right now I might just go for the newest 15, maybe a 30.
Thanks.
I think we have had 3-4 people have bad input jacks on the Vypyr 15/30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a 60.

love it.

Don't get another 15

if you need help on jack and such i can probably dig up some help but Google Vypyr 15 insert jack

Get a 60

I might not need to buy a new amp. I've got another input jack that I can use to replace the Vypyr's. It IS the input jack causing the problem. About 2 years ago a chair fell over and somehow one of the corners of the backrest managed to land right on the control panel on the amp, dead on the jack, denting it in pretty good. It must have been a one in a million shot. It was around that time my amp began to act up, so I'll bet you that the blow from the chair either busted the jack a bit or knocked some of the wiring loose. I don't know why I didn't think of it before .
Well, this looks like a problem that just doesn't want to be solved. Not only did I not fix the jack, I just found out it wasn't the jack at all. I just found out that headphones produce the same buzzing issue as the speaker. Clearly it has to be something else in the amp. I'm assuming it's some diode or other piece of microelectronics that fried out, causing that buzzing sound. Unless someone can think of something else I can try, and I'd be extremely grateful if you do, I'm just going to have to call it quits and just get a new amp.
Eh.... what do you mean you tried the headphone jack?

If your input jack is broken it can even effect the sound with no cable plugged in. Just depends on what part failed.

And if bypassing your speaker with the headphone jack is NOT a step for diagnosis.... I would only expect the noise there as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Eh.... what do you mean you tried the headphone jack?

If your input jack is broken it can even effect the sound with no cable plugged in. Just depends on what part failed.

And if bypassing your speaker with the headphone jack is NOT a step for diagnosis.... I would only expect the noise there as well.

You totally right. I was tired when I wrote that, I wasn't really thinking straight .
Quote by Skodward714
You totally right. I was tired when I wrote that, I wasn't really thinking straight .

It happens.

Wiggle your cable around a little and see if anything changes.

Take a light and look inside.

Some people have reported the ribbon strip that connects it to the board comes off as well. Not sure if you are comfortable opening it up.

Past that....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a 60.

love it.

Don't get another 15

Get a 60

+1

Treat yo'self. Once you play with a bigger Vypyr, you'll hate the 15 like the rest of us. Shitty 8" speaker is shitty.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+1

Treat yo'self. Once you play with a bigger Vypyr, you'll hate the 15 like the rest of us. Shitty 8" speaker is shitty.

I would love a 60. Only problem is I can't afford one right now . I'll look around for a cheap 60, like eBay or Craigslist. I didn't know there was such a big difference between the 15 and the larger sizes, but I guess there is.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A