I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm starting a guitar club at my high school because there is absolutely nothing for guitarists in our music department. Plus, heading toward college I need something on my transcript other than my grades.

But I don't even know if I should call it "Guitar Club", "Jam Club", "Rock Club"...I'm looking to find a way to invite guitarists after school to jam together, but mainly for electric guitars. This gets rid of all the posers who only know 4 chords and whatnot. Maybe acoustic guitar days...?

Anyways, I need some general ideas as to how I'm gonna run this. Should I try and find a bass player and a drummer as well? How should I get everyone's amps and stuff over to the school? Does once a week, 1 hr long sound good?

The worst part is that I have to fit all of these weird requirements, like knowing a scale or two for example, onto a poster. I don't want to scare away people with some poster looking specifically for certain players, so the name should be able to specify that it's for rock music and electric guitars.
Quote by -Retro-
This gets rid of all the posers who only know 4 chords and whatnot.

lewl
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
lewl

It's worse than it sounds...I ride a bus everyday with a kid who can only play "What I Like About You", and makes sure to play it 5 times every day.

Except really slow.

And all the main lyrics are replaced with the word "Penis".
Quote by -Retro-
It's worse than it sounds...I ride a bus everyday with a kid who can only play "What I Like About You", and makes sure to play it 5 times every day.

Except really slow.

And all the main lyrics are replaced with the word "Penis".

No, I'm laughing at your exclusionary vision for your club.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
No, I'm laughing at your exclusionary vision for your club.

Well, it's intended for a lot of improv and stuff so there are just some select few that I know that would just slow down the whole thing.
What about just Music Club? So you can have drummers and bassists to keep your jams together and enable people to meet other musicians they might not have met and start projects they wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Additionally, you could also attract singers, keyboardists/pianists, and any other players of instruments. I would have loved something like that in high school.

Also, instead of being elitist and exclusionary, I suggest a more welcoming approach. You can teach the "posers" musicianship and if you keep it well structured and focused the ones who are not truly interested in learning will just drop out.

Also, you won't drive people away by seeming pretentious. Honestly, I wouldn't have joined a club like you're describing though I would have more than met the requirements in high school. The implied elitist and judgmental attitude is kind of a turn off. Also, only electric guitarists sounds pretty boring to me. You can't really have a million electrics improving at once. Too many cooks spoil the kitchen as they say .

Not a personal attack, just constructive criticism.
Call it a "society" and allow anyone to join and you will find that the kind of people you want will be the ones to stick around.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Faux
What about just Music Club? So you can have drummers and bassists to keep your jams together and enable people to meet other musicians they might not have met and start projects they wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. Additionally, you could also attract singers, keyboardists/pianists, and any other players of instruments. I would have loved something like that in high school.

Also, instead of being elitist and exclusionary, I suggest a more welcoming approach. You can teach the "posers" musicianship and if you keep it well structured and focused the ones who are not truly interested in learning will just drop out.

Also, you won't drive people away by seeming pretentious. Honestly, I wouldn't have joined a club like you're describing though I would have more than met the requirements in high school. The implied elitist and judgmental attitude is kind of a turn off. Also, only electric guitarists sounds pretty boring to me. You can't really have a million electrics improving at once. Too many cooks spoil the kitchen as they say .

Not a personal attack, just constructive criticism.

No no, by all means thank you. Constructive criticism is what I need the most. These were just basic ideas that me and some friends had outlined.

One side of me wants a club where musicians can just come right after school and just flat out jam for an hour...improvisation over chord progressions and stuff like that. The other half of me wants a class maybe where I could divide the entire group into two sections, electric and acoustic, and then put together groups based on skill.

My high school has maybe two bass players and ten or so drummers, in comparison to the near hundred we have that play guitar.

Don't get me wrong, I think half of the purpose of the club should be to share riffs and techniques with other players. I just don't want it to turn into complete after school lessons.

Again, thank you for the imput
How you instead of just screwing around, why don't you actually arrange a few tunes using the instrumentation that you have, making sure there are parts with varying difficulty levels for both those that can play and those than can't? If you want to improvise, you can add that in the tunes as well, and take turns soloing.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
How you instead of just screwing around, why don't you actually arrange a few tunes using the instrumentation that you have, making sure there are parts with varying difficulty levels for both those that can play and those than can't? If you want to improvise, you can add that in the tunes as well, and take turns soloing.

Yeah, I had a teacher suggest that it should just be a big circle where everyone takes turns soloing but I don't know if anyone would really wanna do that every time for an hour.

It all depends on the size of the whole thing. It'd be cool to arrange different groups based on skill and then work with that.
I suggest you do an entire tune for the whole group each time (if your ensemble has a lot people, get them to double up on parts), it'll not only make you a better composer and arranger, but will make the people who are less proficient on guitar feel more accepted. You write both simple and complex parts for each tune you arrange.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Mar 9, 2013,
nobody likes electric guitars, the sooner you accept that the sooner you can jump on art music and the bass guitar and get real pussy in college
modes are a social construct
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I suggest you do an entire tune for the whole group each time (if your ensemble has a lot people, get them to double up on parts), it'll not only make you a better composer and arranger, but will make the people who are less proficient on guitar feel more accepted. You write both simple and complex parts for each tune you arrange.

Doubling up is a good idea. I could pair up players of different skill levels to help one another learn parts.