The one you like the most, its impossible to tell which is the best. They are both two guitars of similar style and spec with almost identical pickups in roughly the same price range. Guitars can be different on an individual basis, meaning that you could have 10 of those Charvel Desolution guitars and every single one would sound and play slightly differently, due to the nature of woods.

So you buy the one you think you will like the most, since there is no real way to tell without playing them which one is the better guitar.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 8, 2013,
Gonna say Jackson. The Charvel Desolation series has terrible quality issues.

Plus... I mean... Jackson. Can't go wrong.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Both companies owned by Fender anyway!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
The finish on the Charvel is so nice! And the headstock on the Jackson is nasty. That being said I've always enjoyed Jackson necks, Which is probably the most important thing to look at since the specs are so similar.
Quote by Bigbazz
The one you like the most, its impossible to tell which is the best. They are both two guitars of similar style and spec with almost identical pickups in roughly the same price range. Guitars can be different on an individual basis, meaning that you could have 10 of those Charvel Desolution guitars and every single one would sound and play slightly differently, due to the nature of woods.

So you buy the one you think you will like the most, since there is no real way to tell without playing them which one is the better guitar.

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't rely on word of mouth quality issues either as these are pretty much the same spec and as far as I know are essentially the same company. Play them both and see which one you prefer, keep in mind how they're set up though so it doesn't distort your view. If you aren't playing them and you're only ordering online I think either one is as much of a gamble.
Quote by shiggityswah
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't rely on word of mouth quality issues either as these are pretty much the same spec and as far as I know are essentially the same company. Play them both and see which one you prefer, keep in mind how they're set up though so it doesn't distort your view. If you aren't playing them and you're only ordering online I think either one is as much of a gamble.

I respectfully disagree, while this is true in most cases it doesn't seem to apply to the desolation series. They ARE awful, really awful. look here at post #31 for pictures of the one i had to send back... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562574&page=2

TS, you might get luck and find a good one, it does happen, but it seems rare when taking my experience and the experience of others into account. I don't think I've ever even heard of a similar story of QC issues over a jackson, even though they are basically the same company. It is disappointing yes, but it doesn't make it any less true sadly.

TL;DR? DON'T GET A DESOLATION! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL MERCIFUL CRAP JUST DON'T GET A DESOLATION!
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at Mar 9, 2013,
It's hard to say which one is better when (to all intents of purpose) they're exactly the same guitar, made by the same company to the same specs.

Only difference is one's basswood and the other is 'mahogany', to use the term 'mahogany' loosely.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 9, 2013,