Hey guys im looking at a PRS SE KORINA for 350.00 pretty good condition... is this worth it? and can this guitar handle more genres then just rock and all that stuff.... ie. can you play cool effects on it?
You mean the one with the single P90? If so, I wouldn't pay 350 for it. Seems like too much of a one trick pony, unless you like simplicity that much. I'm sure it's a quality instrument, but it's really up to you.

Edit:

I'll put it to you this way: I have a Kramer F1000, which has one bridge humbucker, one volume pot, and a Floyd Rose. It's a one trick pony, but it does that trick (metal) very well. I got it, with a hard case, for much less than 350.
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Mar 9, 2013,
Uh... I mean PRS SEs are great guitars, yea, but effects...? What do you mean? Effects come from pedals (or an amp).
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
I'd look at other SE's if you want versatility in tone, one pickup and volume is limiting as far as just the guitar is concerned. $350 also isn't that great of a price used, and yeah, what do you mean by "effects"? You could do some Matt Bellamy mods I suppose, if you want "effects" on your guitar.
OffsetOffset
ok so i may of worded what i was trying to say badly hhaha... i understand that efects and the likes are generated from amp and pedals.... but the versatility of the guitar can still limit the range of effects and quality of effects you can get from an amp.. is this correct?
Looks like I'm gonna be in the minority here but I love my PRS SE One. It's light and sustains for days, build quality is first rate. If I want effects I can run the signal through my tonelab. I hear lot's of negative opinions on the lack of a tone knob but honestly I don't miss it, I know how to adjust my amp. That said, I play mostly vintage rock-n-roll so can't speak for how this guitar handles baby killer metal or what not. Best advice I can give is to play one and see what you think.
Quote by deputydoodoo
ok so i may of worded what i was trying to say badly hhaha... i understand that efects and the likes are generated from amp and pedals.... but the versatility of the guitar can still limit the range of effects and quality of effects you can get from an amp.. is this correct?

No, the amp or pedal will still produce an effect, regardless of what the guitar is equipped with. If you use delay, the delay will still function regardless of what is plugged it. You will lack the ability to modify your tone from the guitar with the SE One, that's all.

Why don't you give us your budget, style of music, location, etc., so we can better help you with a guitar?
OffsetOffset
OK so

budget: $100-$400
style of music: pop punk, alt rock, space rock... and i still wanna be able to play old school rock..
and if it can be helped id rather not get a fender strat or les paul.. i dont like the fact that they are so common
Without doing the conversion rate, I'd take a look at the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified line. Teles, Jags, and Jazzmasters will all be your friends. I would personally grab the Jaguar out of that list, given what you want to play, but take a look at those lines and see if anything grabs you.
OffsetOffset
You might also take a look at the Fender Modern Player line. The used ones are competitive in price with Classic Vibe and Fender MIM. I'm pretty happy with my Modern Player jag, it's a fun guitar.
Yeah, I'd look at the rest of the PRS SE line. For instance, on Musicians Friend right now, there's a few used guitars that would be great for you in that same line. Since your range is $400max, I would take a look at this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-tremonti-se-electric-guitar/h70031?condition=used#used (Check out the one in the middle of the page.)

Also, these are a tiny bit more than $400, but...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029?condition=used#used (Check out the ones on the right & left.)

I mean, I wouldn't buy any of these online (because you can't try out a guitar online), but at least you can look at them and see if they're what you're looking for. Problem is that a guitar with just a single pickup is NOT going to be versatile at all. So, I would look at the links I provided and then go to your local guitar store and say, "Look, I'm looking for something similar to this" and have them show you what they have.
He's in Australia, and I'm pretty sure the priced there are considerably higher than in the U.S. or Canada.
OffsetOffset
yeh being in australia its really hard too not spend a fortune on a handy guitar... the squier jaguars here are like 400 buks... i think im going to get the prs se one korina... some thing about it i really like.. and ive been reading up on it , and everyone seems impressed by it... it comes with the gig bag too, but ill let you guys know how it all goes thanks heaps for the advice.
Hey, if you dig it, that's all that matters. As long as you have a decent amp, or maybe some pedals to run with it, you should be able to get some different sounds. If you're just starting out on electric, it will also keep you from spending too much time goofing with the options. A Jaguar would be the opposite of that
OffsetOffset