Hey crowd.

I've recently joined a technical death blues or progressive rockcore. There is a bit of everything in it. Hard hitting, balls to the walls riffs, then there are blues licks and cleans here and there.

My personal influences are:

Metal! Behemoth, As I lay Dying, Black Sabbath, Dark Tranquillity, Dream Theater, The Faceless, Gorgoroth, Grave, Immortal, Meshuggah, Lamb of God, some Machine head, Wu-Tang Clan, Metallica and Opeth and such.

Secondary tones I would prefer to have are likes of David Gilmour, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tenacious D, Guthrie Govan, Maiden and Judas!

My budger would be 1300 Euros. I live in Hamburg, Germany and the weather is shit. Sorry, had to put that down.

I prefer a head and 2x12 cab (i'd love a 4x12, don't mind me) to a combo for increased portabillity.

My current rig is posted in my sig.
I'd love to get used, but stuff is rare around here.

Let's get this done! Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Edit:
Quote by omidmash
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Last edited by omidmash at Mar 11, 2013,
Whats a used mark IV run over there?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
None available in the area around me as far as I can see. I searched for a Mark IV for ages.
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
A used Cornford MK50 or maybe a Roadhouse 50 perhaps?
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
What the difference between VH100R and Ironheart? Laneys are not much known to me.
Bigbazz, I'll check them out.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
I'm actually not 100% what the differences are. I imagine the Ironheart is more modern possibly?

The Ironhearts are new. From the clips I have heard they sound great.

I think KSE is using them right now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Yeah I know they are newer. I think they are more modern sounding. And that's what I'm gathering from the clips. I wanted a VH100R after I saw Opeth live a while back. I can't imagine needing any more gain than it has. And it is versatile enough for me to not really think about looking into anything else. ha
5150 III. Probably the 50W at that budget, which actually seems more highly regarded than the 100W anyway. Pretty insane versatility. I actually have one on order. I played through the 100W at a GC and it is also crazy versatile. The clean channel goes from Fender-type cleans to AC/DCish tone (there's a gain control on the clean channel...awesome). However, it's 966 Euro at Thomann and I'm not sure how easy it is to find discounts over there. Would leave you stretching for a good cab maybe.

I think it can do anything very well: jazz, clean blues, dirty blues, funk, classic rock, hard rock, metal, br00tz. Can't F'n wait for mine to get here.

I'm gonna have to check out one of the Laney's one of these days. The do get recommended a lot, especially in Europe.

Guitars
- Strandbergs, Gibson LP Studio, RGA42FM, S570DXQM, Mayer Strat
Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 8, 2013,
I got my Laney Ironheart last week (ill be NGDing all my new stuff soon) and, my friend, get one!!!

Like, right now...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Find a used Marshall JVM maybe? They do anything from super clean ballad type stuff to Satanic Black Death Pulverising Uber Metal.
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
what would a VHT/Fryette sig:X do for you? they are three channels, nicest thing being that all of the channels are very usable. very tweakable.

i have a MKIV too. great amp. be patient and see if you get one for the right price. their prices have plummeted (i paid $875 for a minty fresh looking long head).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Second hand Marks are practically non-existent in this part of planet. I've been looking for one for ages. I'll look at Laney and used JVMs, also at the Peavey. Any cab suggestions? 2x12 or 4x12. Any ideas on Orange and H&K?
+1 to the 5150 III

besides that I say try to find a high end Line 6 like a Vetta II or an HD147.

Most straight forward tube amps aren't going to give you anywhere near the amount of real versatility that you probably want.

The SigX is a beast amp. A little hesitant to rec just because I don't know what prices/availability are like for you. Marks are very versatile, but in my experience they don't actually get really heavy. They sound good for modern heavy in a mix a la Lamb of God, not as much on their own. So that may work either way for you. Similar deal with the VH100 a la Opeth. JVM is fizzy and lacks standalone balls. If that's what you're into it's a great amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by omidmash
I'll look at Laney and used JVMs, also at the Peavey. Any cab suggestions? 2x12 or 4x12.

JVMs are very versatile. They definitely have the Marshall character, which is great on a lot of stuff, but I didn't care for it (410H) with drop tuned heavier stuff. I thought I just wasn't dialing it in right, but listening to Ola's video with the JVM I realized I just didn't dig its metal tone like I did with other amps. Not that it's bad...it's quite good overall.

2x12 would be fine and probably keep you within budget after you decide on the 5150 III.

Guitars
- Strandbergs, Gibson LP Studio, RGA42FM, S570DXQM, Mayer Strat
Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50
Looking at your requirements it seems quite crazy

You want extreme metal, progressive, classic rock, blues and jazz fusion all in one amp! I suggested Cornford because you mentioned David Gilmour, SRV and Guthrie Govan. Cornford make some of the finest amps in the world, they are handwired built to absolute perfection with the highest quality parts and Guthrie Govan was most famous for playing them for pretty much all of his career, the Erotic Cakes album (which sounds unbelieveable) is all Cornford.

With that said they are not the easiest amps to get hold of accross seas, and for the Extreme metal stuff none of the Cornford collection is as well suited as a 5150 for example, For all the SRV/Guthrie, blues and progressive stuff a Cornford makes a 5150 sound like a cheap doormatt but for metal and extremely high gain compressed fat chugga sounds the 5150 (Mk1, II by Peavey and the III by Fender) are almost unbeatable at any price.

It's hard to really find an amp that is going to do everything perfect, like in my eyes there is no better full out metal amp than a 5150, others can match it in their own way but nothing has ever to my ears surpassed it for high gain metal, on the other hand when it comes to beautifully textured sounds like SRV, Guthrie and Gilmour you're really hard pushed to find any amp in the world that can do it better than a Cornford.

It depends which part of your sound is more important, whatever you do you can't go wrong with a 5150III, but every amp has its strengths and weaknesses and the right choice to make depends on exactly what type of sound and dynamics you want most of all.

The Marshall JVM and Laney suggestions are ofcourse all good suggestions but for me they are amps I have tried and enjoy but probably would never buy. If I wanted a Marshall sound then there are finer choices out there (Splawn Quick Rod?).
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 9, 2013,
Maybe check out ENGL?
They're really versatile if you take long enough to tweak them and they don't go for that much in Europe second hand, so maybe a good deal might pop up for you.

Same goes for H&K, but that's a different sound.
Quote by Bigbazz
Looking at your requirements it seems quite crazy

You want extreme metal, progressive, classic rock, blues and jazz fusion all in one amp! I suggested Cornford because you mentioned David Gilmour, SRV and Guthrie Govan. Cornford make some of the finest amps in the world, they are handwired built to absolute perfection with the highest quality parts and Guthrie Govan was most famous for playing them for pretty much all of his career, the Erotic Cakes album (which sounds unbelieveable) is all Cornford.

With that said they are not the easiest amps to get hold of accross seas, and for the Extreme metal stuff none of the Cornford collection is as well suited as a 5150 for example, For all the SRV/Guthrie, blues and progressive stuff a Cornford makes a 5150 sound like a cheap doormatt but for metal and extremely high gain compressed fat chugga sounds the 5150 (Mk1, II by Peavey and the III by Fender) are almost unbeatable at any price.

It's hard to really find an amp that is going to do everything perfect, like in my eyes there is no better full out metal amp than a 5150, others can match it in their own way but nothing has ever to my ears surpassed it for high gain metal, on the other hand when it comes to beautifully textured sounds like SRV, Guthrie and Gilmour you're really hard pushed to find any amp in the world that can do it better than a Cornford.

It depends which part of your sound is more important, whatever you do you can't go wrong with a 5150III, but every amp has its strengths and weaknesses and the right choice to make depends on exactly what type of sound and dynamics you want most of all.

The Marshall JVM and Laney suggestions are ofcourse all good suggestions but for me they are amps I have tried and enjoy but probably would never buy. If I wanted a Marshall sound then there are finer choices out there (Splawn Quick Rod?).

Thanks for the reply. I've never tried a Cornford. If an over drive such as TS is added to boost the gain channel, would high gains be plausible?

And as for Engl. They are quite cheap and good in my eyes. In particular I've seen the Screamer 50 and Powerball/Fireball. Any recommendations on those?
Quote by omidmash
Thanks for the reply. I've never tried a Cornford. If an over drive such as TS is added to boost the gain channel, would high gains be plausible?

And as for Engl. They are quite cheap and good in my eyes. In particular I've seen the Screamer 50 and Powerball/Fireball. Any recommendations on those?

Oh by all means they are high gain without a TS, the Hellcat, MK50, MK50II and RK100 models are all high gain amps, but due to the way the sound is textured it wouldn't sound... or well "feel" as good as a 5150 for example for full on metal.

It's not a case that it can't do it, infact they can do it very well, but the textures and the fact that the amps are exceptionally dynamic and give a true sound of your guitar (which is amazing for some of those sounds you stated) is sometimes the opposite of what many go for in a metal amp.

If you take an amp like a Peavey 5150 or an Engl Powerball (even more so) they have very compressed high gain sounds, what you're getting is more the amp sound than the guitar, there aren't a lot of dynamics going on, the low end is crushing in a fat chunky way and the across the whole range of EQ it is a fairly compressed (and to my ears a little fizzy) sound. What that results in when you're playing that high gain balls to the floor metal is a very aggressive, tight and chunky rhythm sound, very consistant accross the board.

Lets say that in both situations both amp types would be able to pull off what you're looking for, but that they excell in different areas and the main characteristics of each amp can be counterproductive to different styles of music, a 5150 is not an amp you would use for blues, though with the volume rolled back on your guitar it could probably pull it off. A Cornford MK50 is not the typical amp you would find in a metal band, but it could pull it off and with a tubescreamer and/or compressor in the front it could pull it off really well.

As for the Engl, I played a show with a Powerball once, and had a day with it at my house. It didn't have as much mids aggression as the 5150 though it seemed even fatter and chunky sounding and perhaps even more compressed in the high gain. It excells at that high gain metal type of tone and was extremely popular in the metal scene a few years back (especially with the guys playing Djent), certaintly more versatile and well rounded than a 5150 too, but it wasn't for me.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 10, 2013,
I'm all about mids in the sound. I like some chugga chugga time to time, but chugging is not the main thing. I like the tones of such as Dream Theater where the guitar is open up and you can hear all notes and where the harmonics shine. I will look for a Cornford but I doubt that I'll find one in Garmania.
http://www.session.de/Cornford-Roadhouse-30-H.html
http://www.session.de/Cornford-Roadhouse-50-Combo-GEBRAUCHT-.html
are these the ones you are talking about?
Indeed, the Roadhouse series are their range of affordable amps, though they are still handbuilt in England, just using PCB boards (like most modern amps) instead of being completely handwired like the more expensive models.

There should be a bunch of videos on youtube of it in action, many of them being demo'd by Guthrie Govan.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I just bought a blackstar ht100 stage yesterday and it's amazing
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Boom news. No Cornfords, not new, not second hand, not even parts and bits. I got two offers for Blackstars. First one is a HT20 and costs 450 euro. The second one (and more tempting one) is a HT100 with a matching 2x12 cab for 750 euro, but it's on the other side of country and i expect around 50-80 euros of post. Any suggestions on Blackstars?
Peavey JSX
Peavey Ultra
Marshall JCM2000 DSL (you'll need a tubescreamer type pedal for the extreme metal)
Mesa Single recto
EVH 5150III mini
Look used for these and you'll find them under budget

And then get the Harley Benton 2x12 vintage cab with V30's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by omidmash
Boom news. No Cornfords, not new, not second hand, not even parts and bits. I got two offers for Blackstars. First one is a HT20 and costs 450 euro. The second one (and more tempting one) is a HT100 with a matching 2x12 cab for 750 euro, but it's on the other side of country and i expect around 50-80 euros of post. Any suggestions on Blackstars?

Those amps are not what you want most likely
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Those Blackstar amps are immensly popular and have picked up a really fast reputation on the live circuits with some of the up coming bands. The amp in the video sounds pretty good to me, I have no personal experience with them and can't see myself buying one for myself as I have some beautiful amplifiers, but on reputation alone Blackstar have come to be an amp company that is well respected.

Is it the case that you have something specific against Blackstar? seen you mention that you don't like them in a few threads now, I'd never advise this guy to go with a DSL for what he's looking for. A JSX perhaps, and a Mini 5150III for sure but not a DSL, it neither excells at the Metal sound he wants nor the Guthrie/Dream Theatre/Gilmour sounds.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
Those Blackstar amps are immensly popular and have picked up a really fast reputation on the live circuits with some of the up coming bands. The amp in the video sounds pretty good to me, I have no personal experience with them and can't see myself buying one for myself as I have some beautiful amplifiers, but on reputation alone Blackstar have come to be an amp company that is well respected.

Is it the case that you have something specific against Blackstar? seen you mention that you don't like them in a few threads now, I'd never advise this guy to go with a DSL for what he's looking for. A JSX perhaps, and a Mini 5150III for sure but not a DSL, it neither excells at the Metal sound he wants nor the Guthrie/Dream Theatre/Gilmour sounds.

Your right about the DSL, thats why I added he would deff need a boost to get extreme amounst of gain

I believe Gilmoure used a DSL100 for a while

The Blackstar HT series was very underwhelming when I have tried them. I went to a guitar store and spent a good hour+ demoing the diffrent HT models. They seem to have a diecent clean channel, but I could not like the gain at all. It reminded me of a JCM900 DR with more gain on tap (very fizzy/fuzzy/undefined). I guess part of the issue was that I had heard such great things about them I went in expecting Mountain Dew and I got Diet Coke They also market the HT as all tube and it is like the JCM900 DR, a hybrid amp in reality.

The HT series is not horrible, but I can think of many amps that would be much better at the same price or cheaper. The small HT5 is a diecent practice amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by omidmash

You can get a new Cornford from Andertons, they ship to Germany for sure.
Unfortunatly importing would not be possible due to ridiculous laws that we have for tax. I'd have to pay 20% extra + massive shipping cost.
The Marshall isn't my cup of tea. I also mentioned that tons of Guthrie/Gilmour would be my secondary tones, seems like there is too much focus on that section.

I'd like to have more opinions on the Blackstar HT100 and it's relative noise issues. If I get the Blackstar I'll have some cash to dig in a TS, PolyTune and maybe a NS2 (if there are noise issues with channel 2). I know that they are hybrid, but that's not my concern. I want to know whether it'd be a smart decision or not for the tons that I'm striving for.

The deal is an HT100 head + Blackstar matching 2x12. I think they run the head for 800 Euro new and the cab for 250 Euro which'd sum up to 1050 Euros. I can get it second hand for 750 + 20 Euros of shipping.

One more thing I'd like to mention is that the amp will sometimes be played in Bedroom and sub-bed room levels, and is not always cranked. Matter of fact I might crank it 2-3 times during week but the rest will be a little less than growling volume.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, you guys rock.

edit: typo
edit2: maybe listing my favorite amps helps.

Gain: Dual Rectifier, Mark IIC+, Engl Powerball, Bogner Ueberschall, Dizel VH4
Clean/Crunch: Twin reverb, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Mark 4+5, Fender Super Sonic.

Pretty wide range but again, most of my focus in on channel 2, and sometimes I roll of my volume to achieve cleans, so not necessarily always going from extreme to extreme. At least 2 channels are required, and a footswitch will be highly regarded.
What do used Peavey JSX heads run in your area?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I feel bad for bumping but this has to be done, else the deal will be gone. Any suggestions on Blackstar HT100 with a 2x12 cab? I might go and play them all today, will update this post respectively.
You sure do have diverse sound tastes.

Lamb of God - Mesa Boogie MKIV
Erotic Cakes - Most of it is a Cornford RK100 with also some MK50 and Hellcat being used. Cornford Harlequin for the solo on Fives.
SRV - Used mostly Fender and sometimes Marshalls, Fender Super Reverbs (Blackface) from what I remember mostly, but he would use two amps at the same time.
Meshuggah - From what I remember they were using one of those weird DAR amps, there is a video on youtube of it, pretty crazy sounding thing.
Dream Theatre : He changes his gear all the time and usually has a space station of rack stuff going on but always uses Mesa Boogie amps/cabs.

Like I said, you need to narrow down your sound a bit when looking for advice, because you pretty much have every amp on the market covered in those videos, haha.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Later Amon Amarth?

They use those.

Will work with djenty songs too.

Dream Theater? You want a Mark V or a Recto.

Pink Floyd? Hiwatt of some sort.

SRV? Something Fendery I would guess.

Rush: Not too sure, but I think it's an H&K of some sort, a tri amp IIRC.

You might want to look into an Axe Fx or something of the sort. Doubt there is any amp alive that can do all that at once, save maybe something like a Mesa Road King.........and even that will only sound like itself.

Quote by Bigbazz
You sure do have diverse sound tastes.

Lamb of God - Mesa Boogie MKIV
Erotic Cakes - Most of it is a Cornford RK100 with also some MK50 and Hellcat being used. Cornford Harlequin for the solo on Fives.
SRV - Used mostly Fender and sometimes Marshalls, Fender Super Reverbs (Blackface) from what I remember mostly, but he would use two amps at the same time.
Meshuggah - From what I remember they were using one of those weird DAR amps, there is a video on youtube of it, pretty crazy sounding thing.
Dream Theatre : He changes his gear all the time and usually has a space station of rack stuff going on but always uses Mesa Boogie amps/cabs.

Like I said, you need to narrow down your sound a bit when looking for advice, because you pretty much have every amp on the market covered in those videos, haha.

The DAR is pretty recent. For most of their stuff till obZen, they used a Line 6 Vetta. I've heard they've also been using the Axe and the Kemper of late.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 12, 2013,
Dude a line6 dt 25/50 can do that it has 4 analog voicings not only in sound but feel and texture.
Boom update news. I tried the HT60 and 6505 112 today and quite surprisingly, the Blackstar didn't have any balls whatsoever. Even boosted with a TS9, it just got too fizzy and not ballsy. On the other hand, the 6505 is the brootz but the cleans are not exactly my cup of tea. What say you, UG? Suck it up and get a MXR 10 band and 6505 or go for Blackstar HT100 + 2x12 cab?

Btw, you really over-estimated the used market around here, which is quite barren and desperate to be quite honest. Mesas are NON existent unless you got some serious cash in your pocket.