I decided on getting the roland cube 40xl but I also will be running a mxr eq pedal, for better tone shaping....so should i get the 6 band or the 10 band?....I also want to try a mxr dullbore distortion pedal on the clean setting of the amp, so how does all the eq settings work. The amp has a 3 band eq and the pedal also has a 3 band eq, so do i just set the 2 3band eq's at 12:00 and shape with the mxr? and which eq should i get? I want to get the full potential of this set up so I want to see what this distortion pedal can do vs the distortion in the amp
What type of music are you after and what is your budget, nearest major city? Perhaps the cube 40 may not be the best option?

Just a thought. I'd hate to see you spend on the amp, then a 10band, then run a distortion up front from the price of an amp that would do it all.... without the bullshit.

The 10 band is great, it has gain and volume along with the 10 bands. Where would you run it? Into the amp or in the FX loop? Does the 40 even an FX loop?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 9, 2013,
I play metal down, crowbar, pantera and sometimes clutch. I wanted the eq pedal because I wanted complete control over my tone shaping. wanted the distortion pedal because I wanted to compare the distortion on the pedal vs on the amp....just trying to achieve the control of my tone and the highest quality sound at bedroom levels....plus I'm a guy and pedals are fun to play with lol
What is your overall budget??

I think you are better off getting a decent amp to start with rather than a cube and a bunch of shit to polish the turd if you know what I am saying.

Cubes aren't bad, but potentially you can get something better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
what amp would you suggest? with a $450 budget. I have had a mustang, hated it. blackstar...it wasnt my cup of tea and I had a vypyr and didnt like it. The reason I wanted the cub was I saw some youtube vids on it and i thought it sounded good so i was gonna get it or a vox, i even considered a marshall but ever one said the mg series sucked
T
Are you willing to go used?

What is the nearest major city?

Any sounds you want to get beside the 3 bands you listed earlier?

With a $450 budget you have some options. First off is one of the amp dimebag played/- the RG100ES.

Depending on where you live there may be even better options. I am assuming you don't already have a cab?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
not sure but he was a randall guy, closest city is pensacola but the guitarcenter there is tiny, they don't keep much in stock especially since this is a tourist area....I prefer to buy new. I want something with a solid warranty. I actually have the 6505 now that im selling for something more apartment friendly. As far as bands....I just play metal....killswitch engaged, crowbar, stavesacre slayer, helmet, life of agony, typonegative
You are really limiting yourself by the buying new. I understand the warranty thing, however what good is a warranty if you don't use the amp because you don't like it?

And man... your CraigsList is empty. Holy cow.

It also would have helped if you had said you were selling your 6505. Is it the combo or the cab?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by jamesdolecek
not sure but he was a randall guy, closest city is pensacola but the guitarcenter there is tiny, they don't keep much in stock especially since this is a tourist area....I prefer to buy new. I want something with a solid warranty. I actually have the 6505 now that im selling for something more apartment friendly. As far as bands....I just play metal....killswitch engaged, crowbar, stavesacre slayer, helmet, life of agony, typonegative

you didn't think that was relevant? is that in addition to the budget or is the budget from selling the 6505?

dime played Century 200's on two albums, although i don't remember which ones. i have the little brother combo version. the Randall Century 100, not too bad, a little fizzy takes a while of tweaking to get it where you want it.

i have owned two RG100ES's and one needed a cap job so i sold it (they knew) and the other i just didn't need at the time.

it would be rather silly to buy new at your budget. used you can get something significantly nicer used. but its your choice
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
selling my 6505 is how im going to be able to afford my new amp...so once its sold then I can go buy my new amp
Quote by jamesdolecek
selling my 6505 is how im going to be able to afford my new amp...so once its sold then I can go buy my new amp

fair enough. we don't know anything more than you tell us.

a cube is a huge setback from a 6505. i don't care what you do to it. (unless improper genre).

what about a POD and headphones?

guitar rig (software that IIRC comes with basic interface).

if you do what you are doing: 10 band for sure, because it has (in addition to the 12 bands) has a volume and gain slider.

fullbores sound terrible. you would probably be better just with the cube. also i don't know how a cube takes distortion pedals.

when thinking of EQing, all that matters is WHAT you are eqing. if its in front of an amp you are EQing your guitar (pickups) if you run an OD you probably would want the 10 band last in line, (EQing the Dist) or in the effects loop, essentially everything after the preamp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591714

What happened to this thread? I asked some questions and you just ignored it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
don't make more threads than you need. answer our questions if you want help. you seem to be neglecting something every time.

i don't think we are physics but maybe some of us would like to think we are...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by jamesdolecek
I apologized already

he posted while i was still typing. commonly referred to getting ninja'd
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!