Apparently not much.

Neck Stringers and Dual Truss Rods are about all that it has contributed to the Design of the Bass.

Neck Through is not an important nor really new point of design really.

Tone wise. Geddy did all of his recordings on his Pre 65 Jazz.

Sure Lemmy and Rick James loved the Rick, McCartney playes it just a little, but that is about it to my recollection.

The fact is, it's adherants are few.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Rics are a love / hate thing. Their tone is really distinctive and nothing sounds like a Ric but a Ric. However, that tone can be limiting in playing situations. Bruce Foxton made good use of it with the Jam as well as Chris Squire (Yes). I like the tone of a Ric myself.
Read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be a thread about Rick copies.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by DESTROYER5000
What do the masses think of the Ricky basses like what lemmy plays

Terrible basses made by a terrible company owned by a terrible person.

Buy one and you can join the Terrible Club too!

Seriously, they're poorly designed one-trick-ponies with an artificially high price due to them SUING any possible competitor.

Go on eBay and find a Tokai, Anniversary, Ibanez or any other copy. Same bass for a fraction of the price.

(The fact that Lemmy and Cliff Burton used them is a warning to any self respecting bass guitarist.)

Quote by Ziphoblat
Read the title of this thread and thought it was going to be a thread about Rick copies.

We'd all be getting sued if that were the case.
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Mar 9, 2013,
I'd like to think that every bassist goes through a phase where they really want a Rick, but over time we all realize that you can get much better basses for less money.
Quote by Ziphoblat

Same here!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Chris Squire was playing Tobias last I saw.

So even he has moved on.

All others are dead or moved on. Except Lemmy
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Sliide90027
Chris Squire was playing Tobias last I saw.

So even he has moved on.

All others are dead or moved on. Except Lemmy

There are plenty of people still using Ricks even now. Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear, Chris Wolstenholme and shitloads of other musicians, predominantly in the indie rock scene. A lot of other bass players I play with use Ricks. I'll be buying a 4001 this year for that exact purpose.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Good luck finding a copy on eBay. Sellers of 30+ year old copies without the name Rickenbacker anywhere either on the bass or the listing have been sent Cease and Desist letters and been threatened with legal action. However there is someone on Talkbass right now trying to sell a Kay shortscale copy if you're interested in one.

I like their sound personally, but not enough to pay thousands for one. Well, I say that but... I once heard a live Motorhead set being streamed live and absolutely hated Lemmy's tone at the time. So I guess I should say that I like their -clean- sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
They look great but that's about their strongest feature, i'm going to agree with Paul Simonon who once said they "sound too thin". Don't get me wrong though, i'm sure they're amazing to own and would still grab one just to have a go for myself if they weren't so dam expensive.
Quote by Spaz91

Seriously, they're poorly designed one-trick-ponies with an artificially high price due to them SUING any possible competitor.

Go on eBay and find a Tokai, Anniversary, Ibanez or any other copy. Same bass for a fraction of the price.

(The fact that Lemmy and Cliff Burton used them is a warning to any self respecting bass guitarist.)

We'd all be getting sued if that were the case.

+1, normally I'd be a bit more civil about it but whatever, I can't put it any more eloquently then that. So yay for being contemptuously bitter about them!

Opinion: Some people like Ricks, good on them, they're free to spend money (and a lot of it) on them. Almost every Rick I've tried has ranged on a spectrum from disappointing to miserable, 4003's, 4004cii's, the whole lot. The only one I've played I would consider bearable was a 4001 that was beat to hell and back, I'm pretty sure the neck was shaved, and it was so gutted that it's only real common point with other Ricks was it's shape. Not a nice sound, uncomfortable design, and I cringe every time I see a picture of one of those bridges lifting.

Oh yeah, and the suing and all that jazz too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by DESTROYER5000
What is that thing they have that goes around the strings from the pickup?

Pickup cover. You can also see them in other basses like Jazz Bass:

Though I have heard that many people don't like them and take them off. They look cool but kind of limit your playing. It makes it harder to pick the strings.

Here is a demo of how a Rickenbacker sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsRvPivoXww
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Spaz91

Wow, that's bitter even for you.

Ricks are good basses, I for example can't stand Fender in any capacity whatsoever, but they make a decent bass. Just because you don't like the ethics of the company, doesn't mean to say its a bad product. I personally would always buy a Rick over a Fender (although I would always pick a Gibson or Ibanez over either....), because I prefer their products, tbh I could not care less about the company's morals and ethics.

Overpriced one trick pony is also just a matter of opinion, and essentially the same as why I don't like P-basses. Yet again, doesn't make it a bad product.

Also, why all the hat against Lemmy?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Quote by Karl Marx
After watching that video, I think the recording I heard must have had effects applied afterall. I've never bothered looking other recordings up because I've never intended to buy one, partly because I wouldn't have much use for it and partly because I don't much like their business practices either. That one does sound a little thin on its own. The recording I heard was very similar but sounded a lot fuller that that. Could have been mislabelled too I guess.

Quote by Spanner93

Ricks are good basses, I for example can't stand Fender in any capacity whatsoever, but they make a decent bass. Just because you don't like the ethics of the company, doesn't mean to say its a bad product. I personally would always buy a Rick over a Fender (although I would always pick a Gibson or Ibanez over either....), because I prefer their products, tbh I could not care less about the company's morals and ethics.

I look at the morals and ethics of a lot of companies. If people carry on paying them thousands they're never going to change. If they start losing money they might rethink it a little. C&D letters might all have the same standard wording, but I've read many reports about very rude and unhelpful employees. Manners don't cost anything and there's really no excuse for it.

Quote by Spanner93

I just don't like his tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by Spanner93
Wow, that's bitter even for you.

Overpriced one trick pony is also just a matter of opinion, and essentially the same as why I don't like P-basses. Yet again, doesn't make it a bad product.

If you don't care where your money goes then you are part of the problem.

I have nothing against Lemmy, I like Motorhead. On the other hand, he isn't particularly virtuous or andventurous when it comes to bass so any of his choices should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Quote by Spaz91
If you don't care where your money goes then you are part of the problem.

Define problem....

Its all about supply and demand. I demand a product like a Rickenbacker, they supply said product. If you feels so bad about the company's ethics, you don't demand their product and therefore they don't supply it.... No transaction and therefore no issue.

Companies like Rickenbacker know they have something unique (whether you like it or not is completely irrelevant) and wish to protect that. How dare they protect their own product???? Companies like fender on the other hand didn't really bother protecting anything, and that is why (pretty much) every cheap chinese bass is based on a Fender. Rick charge that amount for their basses because they feel obliged to protect their idea (and thats really expensive), and also because they have an 'exclusive/unique' product that they know they can charge 2200eur for.

Hate the game (all these other brands ripping off the original) not the player (Rickenbacker).
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
Define problem....

John Hall (CEO) threatening legal action against people selling second hand basses that were discontinued thirty years ago.
Its all about supply and demand.

It's about artificial demand, see above, and famous names.
Companies like Rickenbacker know they have something unique.

They know they don't, hence it being so easily reproduced for a tenth of the price.
Rick charge that amount for their basses because they feel obliged to protect their idea

It isn't their idea, the guy who designed them died nearly 40 years ago.
Quote by Spaz91
John Hall (CEO) threatening legal action against people selling second hand basses that were discontinued thirty years ago.

Admittedly, this is a bit off, however, technically speaking he is entitled to. As the product was in breach of Rickenbacker's patent then, it is technically speaking still a bit of an issue now (in most european countries at least). Most other companies are also entitled to do this, but choose not to. Essentially Rickenbacker are just being exceedingly mercenary.

Quote by Spaz91
It's about artificial demand, see above, and famous names.

People like the product and that's artificial!?!?!?!? Nope.

Quote by Spaz91
They know they don't, hence it being so easily reproduced for a tenth of the price.

Easily reproduced does not mean a good quality reproduction. Just look at the millions of Jazz bass ripoffs there are. Each one is relatively crappy compared to the original. Rickenbacker are just ensuring that their concept is made to the highest possible standard.

Quote by Spaz91
It isn't their idea, the guy who designed them died nearly 40 years ago.

Leo Fender's dead too, more to the point, pretty much every designer of these classic basses is dead now. That's the whole reason they're classics (because they're old, tried and tested designs). On that basis, not guitar company would have much revenue at all because all their "good" designs would no longer be their intellectual property. Rickenbacker own the patents, not the designer, therefore in a legal sense, it is their idea, moreover they can do whatever the hell they like with it....

If you don't like the company, don't buy their products. That simple.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
Admittedly, this is a bit off, however, technically speaking he is entitled to. As the product was in breach of Rickenbacker's patent then, it is technically speaking still a bit of an issue now (in most european countries at least). Most other companies are also entitled to do this, but choose not to.

Having the right to do something doesn't make you any less scum.
People like the product and that's artificial!?!?!?!? Nope.

Creating a cheap instrument, giving them to famous people, suing the competetors and then raising the price far beyond its worth to make it seam "boutique". That is artificial.
Easily reproduced does not mean a good quality reproduction. Just look at the millions of Jazz bass ripoffs there are. Each one is relatively crappy compared to the original. Rickenbacker are just ensuring that their concept is made to the highest possible standard.

My Anniversary 4003 was exactly the same as my friend's Rickenbacker 4003 aside from the price, of course.
Leo Fender's dead too, more to the point, pretty much every designer of these classic basses is dead now. That's the whole reason they're classics (because they're old, tried and tested designs). On that basis, not guitar company would have much revenue at all because all their "good" designs would no longer be their intellectual property. Rickenbacker own the patents, not the designer, therefore in a legal sense, it is their idea, moreover they can do whatever the hell they like with it.

Legal and moral are not the same thing. Decent guitar companies will make revenue through innovation, good design and keeping with the times. Not constantly selling the same relic and protecting it like they designed it themselves. See: Warwick, Ibanez and genuine boutique brands.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing Fender, I'd sooner buy a Rick than a Fender.
Quote by Spaz91

Creating a cheap instrument, giving them to famous people, suing the competetors and then raising the price far beyond its worth to make it seam "boutique". That is artificial.

Legal and moral are not the same thing. Decent guitar companies will make revenue through innovation, good design and keeping with the times. Not constantly selling the same relic and protecting it like they designed it themselves. See: Warwick, Ibanez and genuine boutique brands.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing Fender, I'd sooner buy a Rick than a Fender.

Cheap instrument?? The market is determined by the price. By the sheer volition that Rickenbacker still exists as a company, they can't be too far off the mark price-wise. You might not pay 2200eur for a Rick, but there are plenty of people who would. Many of the artists who use Ricks aren't endorsed and therefore bought their instrument. These happen to be professionals and know what to look for. The product is therefore pretty damn decent, even if it isn't your personal taste.

Innovation isn't something the bass business does really. Jazz, P, Rick, Höfner Violin et al. have all been around for 40+ years. Innovation has nothing to do with it. Most companies are pedaling the same products they were 15 years ago. Even companies like Warwick and Ibanez do it, they tinker slightly with each model and then re-release it making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Boutique brands are exactly that, boutique and therefore build any concoction their clientele wants. That's not innovation, it's a shrewd business model that panders to the market.

Fender just happens to be the first brand that comes to mind when I think of a stale business model, they've done nothing of any merit for the industry in the last 5-10 years. They've only got as far as some gimmick product lines (Road Worn, Pawn Shop) that are overpriced and offer nothing new.

I personally would always buy a Rick over a Fender, but only because I prefer Rickenbacker's products.
Quote by Karl Marx
Last edited by Spanner93 at Mar 11, 2013,
You're mistunderstanding everything I type. I'm not bothering any more.
Rics are Rics. They sound like no other bass. They are a truly unique instrument among the electric bass masses. Many people approach them with an "either/or" mentality: Either they love the shit out of them, or they hate them. There seems to be no opinion in between. If you like the bass sounds of Motorhead, early Rush, Yes and countless similar bands (even Paul McCartney played one from Sergeant Pepper onwards), then you'll love the Ric. A fine, American-Made high quality bass with a sound all of it's own.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Quote by FatalGear41
Rics are Rics. They sound like no other bass. They are a truly unique instrument among the electric bass masses. Many people approach them with an "either/or" mentality: Either they love the shit out of them, or they hate them. There seems to be no opinion in between. If you like the bass sounds of Motorhead, early Rush, Yes and countless similar bands (even Paul McCartney played one from Sergeant Pepper onwards), then you'll love the Ric. A fine, American-Made high quality bass with a sound all of it's own.

Rics never sounded all that unique to me. They just sound like a thin/weak jazz bass usually.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
What's wrong with everybody here? If somebody likes Rickenbacker, he likes it. And if you don't like it, you don't like it. It either is for you or it's not. And if somebody's willing to pay $2000 for his Rickenbacker, let him do it. If somebody thinks it's worth it, why do you argue about it?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What's wrong with everybody here? If somebody likes Rickenbacker, he likes it. And if you don't like it, you don't like it. It either is for you or it's not. And if somebody's willing to pay $2000 for his Rickenbacker, let him do it. If somebody thinks it's worth it, why do you argue about it?

Because they're funding an unethical company.
Quote by Spaz91

Don't like, don't buy. Just stop complaining.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
Don't like, don't buy. Just stop complaining.

No. Stop giving money to John Hall.
Quote by Spaz91

"Unethical"? What's unethical in Rickenbacker? Why are they more unethical than other manufacturers?

I see that you don't like them but some people do and let them like them.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Spaz91
No. Stop giving money to John Hall.

Look, it's not your money, nor is it your place to preach. Stop your complaining and let people enjoy Rickenbackers for what they are, a good high quality bass. To be honest, I do not give a damn as to whether you agree with their business practices, as buying a bass is always a personal choice defined by a range of factors, predominantly the instrument (and not the company's ethics).

Frankly sir, you could do with getting off your soapbox.
Quote by Karl Marx
Quote by Spanner93
Look, it's not your money
It's an industry I care about.
nor is it your place to preach.
Yes it is.
Stop your complaining and let people enjoy Rickenbackers for what they are
No.
a good high quality bass
Debatable.
To be honest, I do not give a damn as to whether you agree with their business practices
Evidently you do.
as buying a bass is always a personal choice defined by a range of factors, predominantly the instrument (and not the company's ethics).
Range of factors =/= speficially one thing, spefically not one thing.
Frankly sir, you could do with getting off your soapbox.
I'll shut up when people stop being complacent about shit which, in turn, affects me.
Lol what a troll.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115