Three stock tremolos. Time for an upgrade. You decide what's the best option. I want better sustain and tuning stability, but I'm also keen on knowing what's the tonal advantage each tremolo offers. But it should fit like a glove- and not require any routing at all.

Vintage Six-Screw Strat Tremolo- I've thought of three options- the Callaham Mexican Strat upgrade, the Gotoh Vintage tremolo and the Super-Vee Blade Runner. Callaham's site explains very clearly why their tremolo is superior to the stock Fender tremolo, and they use better material. I'm not so sure about Gotoh, but they are much more value for money, coming at a fraction of the price. Super-Vee, on the other hand, are a little less costly than the Callaham bridge, but they use a different technology, which I find a lot more efficient. I don't know about an option from Schaller. A double-locking tremolo would be fine, but the one offered by Super-Vee is frightfully expensive- which rules it out on a guitar that cost a fortune.

Floyd Rose Special- The weaker Floyd Rose tremolo with the official branding. Lesser material, and consequently lower quality. Original Floyd Rose is the way to go, but I don't know if Schaller or Gotoh trems fit in just as well.

JT580/JT580LP- Yes, I'm still keen on owning a guitar that uses one of these. On JCF, there are a few members who have replaced their JT's with OFRs, but again, the same question comes up- will the Gotoh/Schaller tremolo fit in just as well?
Last edited by Arjun_M at Mar 11, 2013,
What model guitar will you be replacing it? Routing will be need to done if you have a vintage style trem and chose double locking, and the other way around, albeit not as much.

The JT80 is just a Licensed Floyd.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
I think he has 3 separate trems he wants to upgrade...

Can't really comment on the vintage strat trem as I only know the Gotoh one, which is really good btw. If you can upgrade to a decent brass block on it too you'd have a serious upgrade on your hands.

the FR... Personally would go for a Schaller over a FR. Schaller make the Floyd Roses anyway and personally I think they save their best work for their own. and I'm 99% they use the same cavity rout.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I have installed 2 Super-Vee Blade Runners on my old guitars. One was a 2001 MIA and the other was a 2004 MIM. Hands down my favorite aftermarket Strat trem.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I only own old Schaller made W. German OFR's so I can't comment on modern Schaller Floyd vs. Floyd Rose. I believe the Schaller Floyd fits the Jackson recessed route better due to its short lock screws, so that would be the way to go.
we need to know which strat tremolo you have (i.e. which guitar it is)

supposedly a schaller (or lockmeister- it's supposedly a schaller-branded OFR) is a direct swap for an OFR, but i haven't tried the swap myself. it says so on the schaller website. Gotoh is more or less the same size (i think- dimensions are on the gotoh site if you want to check) but the studs are marginally larger and the sustain block might be too big too.

ditto for the jt580LP- supposedly the OFR fits, so the schallers should too (again, i haven't tried this myself, this is just from what i've read). Gotoh should more or less fit, but studs and block might be problematic so if you want the swap to be as painless as possible, go with the OFR (or schaller, i guess).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm looking exactly for a direct swap. Not like a Floyd Rose for a Fender Tremolo. For each of the tremolos I have listed, I'm looking at a proper direct swap. The Super Vee Double Locking tremolo is built specially for Strat installation without routing, but it costs a fortune.

Then I need to know which Schaller or Gotoh to opt for. Even Floyd Rose outsource the production to cheaper Asian factories to reduce costs. A cost advantage is useful, but not at the expense of quality.

The Blade Runner seems to have a better technique than other Strat Trems, and it is (according to experts) so stable that you don't need locking nuts and tuners. But is the Callaham a better-sounding trem? The Blade Runner anyway sounds better than the stock six-screw Fender bridge.
the OFR (made by schaller) should be a direct swap for both the floyd rose special and jt580LP. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't tried either swap myself, that's just from what I've read. You could email floyd rose to see if the OFR is a direct swap for the floyd rose special (they took a while to get back to me, but they eventually did, and told me that the OFR was effectively a direct swap for the FRT-x000, but I didn't ask about the special).

as i said, you need to tell us what strat trem (or better yet just what strat) you have. not all strat trems are the same size, even on fender guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've listed out the three trems, including the Strat trem, in the first post (and have clarified which Strat trem) and want direct swaps that require no routing. But if you want to know which guitar needs a swap (I don't own all of these, but it may decide a future purchase), here's the list, with notes for each option.
  • Fender American Special Strat HSS: This costs a little too much, so I wouldn't want to spend too much on a trem (so the Super Vee Double Locking Trem is out).
  • Fender Blacktop Strat HSH: Comes cheap, so a better tremolo will be preferred. The double-locking trem has a chance here. I'd like the trem to float- pull up by at least one step. The body has the crater under the guard.
  • Fender Blacktop Strat HH-FR: The Floyd Rose Special surely needs a swap. The body has that crater under the guard.
  • Jackson Soloist SLX(Q)/SLATXMG(Q)3-6: The Floyd Rose Special surely needs a swap. The guitar is made of lesser wood, so something is needed to boost tone and sustain.
  • Jackson DK2(M): The famous JT580/JT580LP trem, for something better, but doesn't need body routing.
What you *dont* want is the six point trem, it will go out of tune fairly easily. If you're going to go with that kind of trem bridge, which are the best ones in my opinion in terms of tuning stability, practicality, and looks, then get a 2-point fulcrum system. Same basic style and idea as the one you mentioned but is the proper, upgraded trem bridge.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I'm no expert.

However, I do hear good things about the Trem-King tremolos (Joe Perry has at least one guitar so equipped) and Wilkinsons. Can't say if any would be a direct swap though. (See first sentence.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
the OFR (made by schaller) should be a direct swap for both the floyd rose special and jt580LP. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't tried either swap myself, that's just from what I've read. You could email floyd rose to see if the OFR is a direct swap for the floyd rose special (they took a while to get back to me, but they eventually did, and told me that the OFR was effectively a direct swap for the FRT-x000, but I didn't ask about the special).

as i said, you need to tell us what strat trem (or better yet just what strat) you have. not all strat trems are the same size, even on fender guitars.

The JT580LP can indeed be directly swapped for an OFR, i've done it and had no issues. The only thing that needs to be done is boring out the post holes to a slightly wider diameter to fit the studs that come with the OFR. No routing or anything else like that is required. Some have reported intonation issues after making this swap but that isn't something I encountered when I did.
Also, since no one else seems to have mentioned it... The special can be swapped directly for an OFR. I haven't tried it mind but as far as my reading leads me to believe their dimensions and post spacing are identical.
Strat trems: So a two-point tremolo will be a direct replacement for that six-screw tremolo? Are there any specific brands that you would recommend that are direct replacements? How much do these MIG/MIJ trems cost in shops?

FR-Style trems: The Schaller I, Schaller Lockmeister and Gotoh GE1996T are the ones I know about. The Schallers are available for less on some sites. But will they be direct swaps for either the JT580/FRS without need for routing?
no a 2-point strat trem won't be a direct swap for a 6-point. Just they were saying if you didn't already have the guitar it might be a better idea to get a guitar with a 2-point trem if you're going to be doing crazy whammy tricks.

the trem on the american special might be decent already (but don't quote me on that). the USA, MIJ and MIM fenders may well have different-sized trems even if they're specced as being the same trem (that's kinda what i was implying when i said we needed to know the exact trem and guitar), so that'd be worth bearing in mind.

FWIW as far as i'm aware the lockmeister is just an OFR with the schaller stamp on it, so presumably it's the same size as an OFR, but it might be worth emailing schaller to be sure. Schaller and floyd rose have routing templates on their websites so you could check that, too.

NotTheMessiah30:
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?