I have a little b-day money to spend and I'm looking at getting some cheap equipment to record some stuff at home. I just want to record some decent quality stuff for my own use.

I was looking at getting a sub $100 interface like the Tascam US-100 and a cheap $50 condenser mic. But now I'm wondering if I should just get the Blue Yeti USB condenser mic. I know that an interface would allow me to connect my guitar whereas with the Yeti my guitar would only get picked up by the mic, but that's not a huge problem because the Yeti will probably pick up the guitar really nicely.

I know that getting a cheap interface w/ cheap mic would provide more flexibility than the Yeti alone would. But, are there any other pros or cons that I am missing? For example, would there be much difference in sound quality? Thanks!
Save up another $50, buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and use virtual amp sims instead of micing an amp. You've got a Line 6 Spider which is probably one of the worst amps to mic. The 2i4 is the best interface out there under $300 and its great for beginners.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Only get the 2i2 if you have no intention of ever using the instrument DI. The 2i2 is known to clip on the instrument input with no gain at all.
Quote by johnnycr
How about the 2i2 for a little less?

I wouldn't get the 2i2.

Another option is to buy a used Sapphire 6, which should be around $100 on eBay and is essentially the same thing as the 2i4, except it's a few years older. (You can't be using the Sapphire 6 on Windows 8 PC though, because they won't be making Windows 8 drivers for it.) So, if you'd rather save money, then buy the Sapphire 6.

But yeah, any practice amp (which is what the Spider is) is terrible for recording through a mic. They really just don't have the ability to get good-sounding distortion. I have a Roland Cube 60, and I personally prefer using amp sims over my Cube 60. I would get yourself a Sapphire 6 or a Scarlett 2i4 and also check out the Amp Sim thread. Make sure you read up on what a Cab sim is, as well, because the amp sim will NOT work without a cab sim. (Start off on the keFIR if LeCab2 or other more versatile cab sims seem complicated to you.)

Btw, a little note (no one told me this when I first started out, probably assumed I knew)...if you're recording on any Windows system, then you will need to set your DAW so that the input/output is ASIO. On a Mac, you don't need to worry, but ASIO is the best way to get a cleaning recording on Windows.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 9, 2013,
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned this earlier... but I will probably be recording mostly acoustic guitar and not much on my electric guitar. Would a condenser mic pick up the acoustic guitar okay or would it be better to use the 1/4" cable to connect it to the interface?

Also, how does the Focusrite Saffire 6 compare to the Tascam US122 or US144? Those seem like decent interfaces for around $100.
Last edited by johnnycr at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by johnnycr
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned this earlier... but I will probably be recording mostly acoustic guitar and not much on my electric guitar. Would a condenser mic pick up the acoustic guitar okay or would it be better to use the 1/4" cable to connect it to the interface?

For acoustic you will want to go with a condenser mic over a dynamic.

Now a 1/4" cable on an acoustic...most people will probably disagree with me and say a condenser will always sound better, but I have recorded acoustic guitar via pickups a few times if the pickups in the acoustic sounded good. I have also mixed signal of a mic and pickup with success before as well.

Also, how does the Focusrite Saffire 6 compare to the Tascam US122 or US144? Those seem like decent interfaces for around $100.

I don't think there is anything worth buying under the Saffire 6 in price if you plan on using mics.
So the Tascam products just don't compare to the Focusrite Saffire 6 then? I'd prefer to buy from Amazon but if then Focusrite is really a lot better then I'll give in and try to find one used somewhere.
Quote by johnnycr
So the Tascam products just don't compare to the Focusrite Saffire 6 then? I'd prefer to buy from Amazon but if then Focusrite is really a lot better then I'll give in and try to find one used somewhere.

Should be able to get a used one on amazon. With that said I haven't used those tascam products before so idk how they compare.
I'll do some price shopping. Looks like I could get a Tascam US-200 and Behringer C1 for about $140, which stays in my budget.
Quote by johnnycr
So the Tascam products just don't compare to the Focusrite Saffire 6 then?

Its like the difference between some wigger kids ghetto Civic & a newer Lexus. Sure, you could get by with the Tascam but Focusrite has a reputation behind them of just quality products. I can't think of a shit product Focusrite made outside of the debatable Scarlett 2i2.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Its like the difference between some wigger kids ghetto Civic & a newer Lexus. Sure, you could get by with the Tascam but Focusrite has a reputation behind them of just quality products. I can't think of a shit product Focusrite made outside of the debatable Scarlett 2i2.

Thought 2i2 was basically a reboxed saffire 6 with usb 2.0?
Quote by lockwolf

I though Behringer usb mixers were the wigger kids ghetto interfaces and Tascam was comparatively much better. I'm only spending $150 and this is my first recording setup so I'm not expect "Lexus" sound.
Quote by FireHawk
Thought 2i2 was basically a reboxed saffire 6 with usb 2.0?

The 2i4 is... the 2i2 is basically a useless version of the 2i4 as it doesn't have a pad.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!