I learned about lockpicking recently, and it seemed interesting so I ordered a few. I didn't get into it to break into things, it's just fun to actually do. Every lock is like a different puzzle. Puzzles all over the place. It's a neat little skill to have as well, never know when you'll need to get into your house or whatever.

Anyways my picks came in today and I've picked my first lock

Anyone else ever get into this, or is interested? It's pretty cool to learn how locks work and how to manipulate them. You also learn other things like how to beef up security on a lock, and what weaknesses exist and such. For example, the Master lock in the pic has security pins, and with my low skill level I find it VERY difficult (impossible so far for me) to pick. Yet that other lock with the picks in it, I could pick just fine. It has no security pins. It's odd that the weaker looking lock is actually harder to break into, with just a simple little thing like grooved pins inside.

Here is a great series of videos that teach you the basics: How to pick, how a lock works, security pins, etc, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVSL0liiWoc
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Mar 9, 2013,
I can lockpick my bathroom door. You just stick a pin in there.

+ 5 lockpick
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Dunno, seems pretty cool. Always a good survival skill to have. Will look into it!
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
Master locks aren't hard, man. I can pick that shit with only one pick in my inventory.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I learned everything about lockpicking from Elder Scrolls IV.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Got locked in a room with vampire in a box by my lockpick trainer once. Managed to get free and perfect my design for an unpickable lock. Tricked my trainer into fitting it to the door of the vampire room and trying it out himself.

Needless to say, his other students were looking for a new trainer after that.
Pfft. Amateurs.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
My uncle taught me how to pick locks with bobby pins when I was about eight years old. I can pick most pad locks.

I don't know about Canada, but you get caught with those without a locksmith license in many of the states, and you'd get arrested. Careful if you go anywhere with those until you check out your laws on possessing them.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
My uncle taught me how to pick locks with bobby pins when I was about eight years old. I can pick most pad locks.

I don't know about Canada, but you get caught with those without a locksmith license in many of the states, and you'd get arrested. Careful if you go anywhere with those until you check out your laws on possessing them.

Already have, they're illegal in BC, Alberta, and New Brunswick (I think it's New Brunswick). Legal in Ontario.

That being said, even if they are legal I'm not going to walk around picking random locks, ESPECIALLY not in front of any cops
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Last edited by naedauuf at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster
How much did that kit set you back?

$20 kit online, shipping was like $6. Comes with 4 picks, and 3 different sized tensions wrenches in two different styles (totaling 6 tension wrenches).
Quote by MetalGS3SE

I tried doing that once, it took me forever to get it right. I don't think I have enough patience for that
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
I'm a level 0 lock-picker but a level 100 door-kicker.

No joke, I've broken into my own apartment before because I was locked out. Doors are really, really easy to break.
hammer+doorknob=lock pick.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I came here to make fallout and elder scrolls jokes.

I hate you all
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
I learned everything about lockpicking from Elder Scrolls IV.

Morrowind is where its' at.
This reminds me of No Country For Old Men. Anton Chigurh had the best lockpick.
Quote by killjoy_bentley
you're so intelligent
I know the basics of it, and the idea, but i've never successfully picked a lock. After forgetting my keys to my house a few times when i was at uni, i learned how to pick a lock, but the next time i got locked out after that, it was really late at night, but luckily i had forgotten to close my bedroom window properly earlier that day, so i opened it up and climbed in.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I'm not a thief or a rapist so I've never looked into it.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
In what situation would you find yourself locked out of your house without the key, but with an entire lockpicking set?
Quote by Aralingh
Morrowind is where its' at.

All you did in Morrowind was stab in the general direction of the locked box with something that vaguely resembled a stick.
Well I believe the more common locks can be done using something like a small allen key and a bobby pin.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by Bazz22
All you did in Morrowind was stab in the general direction of the locked box with something that vaguely resembled a stick.

That's so hardcore.