Hello everyone!

I'm going to pick a new guitar and choosing between these four:

Kramer Assault 220 Plus SD+FR
Ibanez ARZ-800
Charvel Desolation DS-1 ST
LTD EC-1000

I haven't found anything about Kramer, 0 reviews. Why? Have anyone played it? How it is? I'd like to have FR, but i don't know anything about this guitar. Also it is the only guitar among these with passive pick-ups.

Ibanez ARZ-800 and LTC EC-1000 have EMG pick-ups, which are pretty cool, but i've heard that Ibanez is a little bit worse. Is that true?

Charvel Desolation have got Blackouts, a i've heard they are nice too.

So, i've chosen those ones because they are situated in a store i'm going to visit soon. I've got about 900 dollars on guitar, and if there are another cool guitar (Les Paul form only ) i could buy - tell me! And if my choise is right, then please help me to choose from those 4 .

I want to tune guitar in Drop D or D, and i prefer to play something like rock, alternative rock and maybe even punk.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
Out of those 4, the EC-1000.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's just a better guitar. Better made. It's not really the sort of guitar i would get, i'd rather have a Gibson Explorer or V, but i can see why people like them so much.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's just a better guitar. Better made. It's not really the sort of guitar i would get, i'd rather have a Gibson Explorer or V, but i can see why people like them so much.

QFT.

EC1000's is by far the superior here. Gibson-owned Kramers, while there are some great ones, CAN be hit or miss. Charvel Desolation is a huge no-no, shoddy quality control. And the Ibanez is good too, but not EC-1000 good.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by Suikoren
Thanks Gibson Explorer or V costs more, even Studio cost more -_-'.

In my eyes, its worth the extra money. I just prefer them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yeah I would definitely go for the LTD EC1000 from that list. Followed relatively far behind by the Ibanez
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I would also recommend the EC-1000. I think they're pretty great for the price. I'm a big fan of that body shape, too, but if you really wanted a Les Paul body, you could just get a Gibson Les Paul Studio. They run cheaper than $900. I got mine for $750, and down the road I ended up putting EMGs in it. All depends what you plan on playing though since I use mine for pretty much strictly metal, so the EMGs are good.
In Russia Studio cost 1150-1250 dollars -_-'.

Ok, thanks for your answers! Now i'm going to buy new LTD EC-1000 . Btw, what are the main differences between EC-1000 and EC-400?
Ah, I missed that you aren't in America. That's my fault.

I just looked at the specs for both, and they look pretty identical in every way. I think EC-400 comes in less colors, but the EC-1000 is new I think and comes with a ton of options. I honestly couldn't tell you. I think they're listed at about the same price, too.
I think I read somewhere that the EC-1000 comes with locking tuners and the EC-400 doesn't, it was an "Andertons" shop video that you can youtube.
Quote by CageTheGates
I think I read somewhere that the EC-1000 comes with locking tuners and the EC-400 doesn't, it was an "Andertons" shop video that you can youtube.

None of them has locking tuners anymore.
I'm no Les Paul expert, but of all these options, the ESP LTD EC-1000 is far and away the best. But do you need the EC1000 so much? Maybe the EC-401 can save you some money.

A more serious comparison would be between the EC-1000, PRS SE (comes from a factory that makes much better guitars) and any of Gibson's Les Paul models under $1000. The current generation Studio is too expensive, but you can save money by opting for one of the 50s Tribute/60s Tribute/Studio Faded/70s Tribute/LPJ models, all of which are within the budget.

You can get a good deal by buying from German online retailers Thomann, who can sell you a Les Paul within that budget, enough to factor in a case and shipping charges. With customs, it's a different matter altogether, but you might still beat the price at a local shop. Try to beat the price as much as you can. This industry/trade is full of profiteers.

DISCLAIMER: I am opposed to paying American-origin prices for Asian-origin guitars. But you can keep reading and asking questions to be completely assured of what you wish to buy.
Actually i've got an option to buy Gibson The Hawk 1998 year for 900 dollars, but i don't know how it is and what is better.

I don't want to order a guitar, i don't trust russian mail service >_<.
Maybe you'll trust DHL a lot more. Thomann uses that. Of course, it's a different matter with customs. Where in Russia do you live? Delivery shouldn't be a problem (at all) on the western side.

Was that a Gibson Nighthawk? The whole 'hawk' series seems to be a slightly offset/distorted LP shape. If you like the look, think about it. If you can spend the amount on a Gibson Les Paul anywhere, in your local dealership or on Thomann, it's a good idea. Just avoid the Junior (not to be confused with LPJ) and Melody Maker models.
I live near Moscow . I don't know which one this Gibson is, here you can see photos: http://disgaeamt.ru/index.php?show=Gibson_the_Hawk_2nd-blk&type=guitars

Also, LPJ for about 1000 dollars is a good deal or not?

And if i'll choose to buy something from Germany, what should i buy? There are a lot of different LPs >_<! Thomann or Musicstore?
Last edited by Suikoren at Mar 10, 2013,
I think that only LP 50 tribute and 70 tribute will be within my budget. Which is better? Maybe i should find something on Ebay? And what would be better, Gibson LP Studio or Greco/Edwards/Yamaha made in 1970-80-90 in Japan? In Moscow there are a lot of different old Japan LPs.

Sorry for that amount of different stupid questions -_-'
You'll get a better deal with Thomann, and more models to choose. Edwards Les Pauls are good value for money, but it should be a Japanese-origin guitar- there are (apparently) new ones being built in Chinese factories.

The pickups differ in some LP models. Plenty have full humbuckers- some have burstbuckers, some have 498s, some have P90's (first it was the 60s tribute, but now we find them in 50s tribute) and the 70s Tribute models have mini humbuckers. Some of them (maybe all the models in your budget) have chambered bodies. Traditionalists hate it, but it will be more comfortable as it is lighter. I asked for a 50s Tribute with humbuckers and it was quite light, and had a thin (hmmm...Strat-ty?) neck. From what I read on the Gibson site (and a few other places), the LPJ is solid-bodied, while the others have chambered or traditional weight relief bodies. The 50's tribute and LPJ have thick necks, while the 60's and 70's tribute have thinner necks.

Try out the Les Pauls in your city to find what's best for you, and then place an order. Do you want twin humbuckers, or P90s? Would you prefer a thinner neck? Do you want something not too heavy?
Last edited by Arjun_M at Mar 10, 2013,
Ok, i'll try to play on different Les Pauls if i'll have a chance. I'm thinking about Japanese-origin guitars, because i don't have to order them and i've heard that they are nice too .

But i don't think i'll be able to find 50 Tribute or 70 Tribute. How is the new LPJ? Is it better/worse/equal?
The LPJ, from what I've read (Gibson does not put up specs for this one) is a relatively solid body and the neck is also a little thicker, like a Gibson should be. Try out a Gibson and the ESP/Edwards Les Paul on the same amp, very similar to your own, and then decide.

If you're not scared of ordering online, you can think about getting a Studio Faded/Studio Satin/50s Tribute.
A little bit later i'll have a chance to play on LPJ, and if the price on site wont change, i'll have a chance to buy it for 750-830 dollars . I think that would be nice!
Hello everyone one more time!

I'm going to buy new guitar tomorrow, a i want to ask: Gibson Faded are good guitars? What is better: SG faded or LP? 800 dollars for SG faded is a good price? And about 1000-1100 dollars for LP Studio Faded?

I'll have a chance to play on them both + EC-1000 + some Schecter guitars, but i don't know yet what i'm going to buy . EC-1000 is very comfortable for me, but i haven't yet played on Gibsons.
Quote by Suikoren
Hello everyone one more time!

I'm going to buy new guitar tomorrow, a i want to ask: Gibson Faded are good guitars? What is better: SG faded or LP? 800 dollars for SG faded is a good price? And about 1000-1100 dollars for LP Studio Faded?

I'll have a chance to play on them both + EC-1000 + some Schecter guitars, but i don't know yet what i'm going to buy . EC-1000 is very comfortable for me, but i haven't yet played on Gibsons.

The Gibson Faded series is great. You are skimping on finish, which means no fancy paint jobs. But they still look pretty cool.

The biggest concern is that they have almost no protective finish, and the paint on them can wear down over time, exposing the wood underneath. Obviously any damage might also be more serious, too, because there's no real finish to protect the instrument. If that bothers you, stay away, but you are getting a very high quality instrument for a lot less money otherwise.

Comparing the EC-1000 to the Les Paul, well, the EC-1000 is basically the Les Paul's leaner, meaner younger brother. It is a much thinner and lighter guitar, with a smaller and faster neck profile. It also comes with EMG pickups, which while very good are not necessarily ones you'd love depending on your tastes. The Les Paul is chunkier, heavier and will give you a thicker, warmer and more "vintage" tone.

On the EC-400 vs the EC-1000, the big difference is quality control and finish. They are almost identical when it comes to features but the EC-1000 has much nicer finishes, binding, inlays, etc. The quality of wood and construction overall will be better, they will have better fretwork and more attention to detail. The EC-400 is still an awesome guitar for the money however.