I've got my eye on a really nice amp on Gumtree but the person selling it lives to far away for me to collect it. If I pay for a courier to deliver it to me, is it likely that it could break or suffer some kind of damage during it's journey?
If its improperly packaged, yes. And insurance won't cover it for improper packaging. If the seller is willing to do a good job then you should be fine. Be careful of buying before seeing on gumtree, there's no buyer protection. Ask for progress pictures of packing etc.

Where is it located incidentally?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
If its improperly packaged, yes. And insurance won't cover it for improper packaging. If the seller is willing to do a good job then you should be fine. Be careful of buying before seeing on gumtree, there's no buyer protection. Ask for progress pictures of packing etc.

Where is it located incidentally?

It's in Milton Keynes; about 3 hours away from me.
In the post? You mean can it get damaged during shipping?

(You should realize this is a world wide forum and us guys form the 'hood have no freakin' clue what you're talking about when you speak actual English.. anyway)

You could try telling the seller you're worried about shipping the amp and you want him to pack it really well and double box it, take pictures and get insurance.

Or you could just do what guys form Detroit do and make it into a big road trip party. Road trips with your friends to get guitar stuff are cool.
Quote by BobDetroit
You could try telling the seller you're worried about shipping the amp and you want him to pack it really well and double box it, take pictures and get insurance..

Thanks, I think I'll just do that.
Honestly I'd probably drive the 3 hours to get it. But that's just me and the only decent guitar shop is 1 and a half hours away from me so I'm used to driving long distances.
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Honestly I'd probably drive the 3 hours to get it. But that's just me and the only decent guitar shop is 1 and a half hours away from me so I'm used to driving long distances.

Yeah I would do that, I actually like long car journeys haha. But I'm too young to drive and so my mum would have to take me and it would cost her petrol.

Quote by jkielq91
I received an amp in the mail once, delivered by the post man.

It was a Fender Mini Tone Master...

Those things look nifty.
Last edited by Sonic Box at Mar 9, 2013,
ROAD TRIP!

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Dude, driving places is fun.

Maybe see if he will meet you half way?

(Or she, women have hobbies too!)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i have seen some amps get demolished in the mail, even happened to my friend's Dr. Z once. one of the trannies broke free and smashed the hell outta everything inside.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I took a drive up to Liverpool last year to grab my Cornford (was around a 6 hour drive), if the amp is worth any money and you're only a few hours away I would recommend you just take a road trip if thats possible.

Removes any doubt then! If you were buying from well known/trusted website shop for example then I wouldn't worry, but in your case I'd take the trip!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Road Trips are great fun!
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Some amps will ship better than others. Easier to pack, nothing that can rattle loose, built like a brick shithouse, etc. What is it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some amps will ship better than others. Easier to pack, nothing that can rattle loose, built like a brick shithouse, etc. What is it?

It's a Fender Blues Deluxe. On another note, can anyone tell me the difference between an 8-ohm Eminence Speaker and a regular Fender stock speaker? Unless they're the same thing, I'm not actually sure.
If it's another speaker with the same impedence, you can swap it out no problem.

Those Fender amps are built pretty solid. I wouldn't invest too much worry into it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I got my Marshall Vintage Modern in the mail and it turned out just fine. It depends on how well the person packs the amp and what not. If you want to go and get it just to be safe, then go ahead. Best of luck!
Skip the username, call me Billy
When you get it, pull the tubes out and plug them back in. You'll be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Unfortunately, it's not as easy getting places in this country as it is in the states. For a young person under 25, you can just about afford the insurance on a bike, but you can't exactly carry an amp on one of them. Cars are pretty much out of the question, unless you're rich.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Tell him to double box for sure. The amp goes in a box just slightly larger than it, wrapped in some newspaper or something similar, then that box goes in a larger box full of packing peanuts or balled up newspaper.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I understand post is a bit different, but I tour with my amp in the back of a van protected with nothing more than a soft slip cover... countless hours being bumped around against other amps, drums, etc and I've never had a problem..
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Quote by trevh
I understand post is a bit different, but I tour with my amp in the back of a van protected with nothing more than a soft slip cover... countless hours being bumped around against other amps, drums, etc and I've never had a problem..

The dangerous part is loading and unloading. I'm guessing you do that once per show and do it yourself, carefully... Not the case with the 'post.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!