I have a Casio CTK-496 keyboard. (Basic piano style keyboard, like this.) How does this work in terms of midi? What I mean is, when I select various effects on the Casio, will the midi signal keep the effects when it records in my DAW? Or will I just get a raw signal and have to add effects to it?

I ask because I have a few Metal songs that have keyboard parts written for them, and I need to understand how it all works obviously.
It will be a raw signal. IF you can even get midi data out of it at all.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Midi doesn't send sound (or receive sound). Just sends triggers (we will keep it simple and just deal with notes for now) to a computer. These notes are then translated to sound via a program. Such as the brilliant arturia synths or something free like TAL U-NO.
Quote by FireHawk
Midi doesn't send sound (or receive sound). Just sends triggers (we will keep it simple and just deal with notes for now) to a computer. These notes are then translated to sound via a program. Such as the brilliant arturia synths or something free like TAL U-NO.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks, man.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks, man.

It's ok, though - even the most basic of freeware MIDI virtual instruments will generally beat the crap out of anything you hear on a keyboard.
Quote by kyle62
It's ok, though - even the most basic of freeware MIDI virtual instruments will generally beat the crap out of anything you hear on a keyboard.

I can get better sounding instruments on my iPhone than on those $100 Casio keyboards. Though since you can pick those Casio keyboards up for $10 a piece at a Thrift Shop, they're the best budget MIDI keyboards out there if you don't need all sorts of options.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
I can get better sounding instruments on my iPhone than on those $100 Casio keyboards. Though since you can pick those Casio keyboards up for $10 a piece at a Thrift Shop, they're the best budget MIDI keyboards out there if you don't need all sorts of options.

Well, I just use it to compose things right now, write down the notes and all.

I'm not attached to the sounds/settings on it or anything. It was a gift, so I use it sometimes.

Anyway...I will definitely check out TAL U-NO. I'll probably just use the keyboard to generate the midi is all.

Edit:
So, I can't find a manual for TAL U-NO 62. Anyone have any input on how this thing works? Obviously, it a VST (so that goes into my DAW). But I'm guessing I set up a midi and then what?

Do I just play stuff on the Casio to generate the midi signal? Then, TAL U-NO 62 converts it to sound and I can manipulate that sound? Or what?

Edit2:
Ok, apparently TAL U-NO has some preset sounds (which can be further manipulated and such; all pretty cool). How do I use the Casio keyboard to "play" instead of the stupid UI that Reaper has for the midi item?

Pardon my noob questions...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, I just use it to compose things right now, write down the notes and all.

I'm not attached to the sounds/settings on it or anything. It was a gift, so I use it sometimes.

Anyway...I will definitely check out TAL U-NO. I'll probably just use the keyboard to generate the midi is all.

Edit:
So, I can't find a manual for TAL U-NO 62. Anyone have any input on how this thing works? Obviously, it a VST (so that goes into my DAW). But I'm guessing I set up a midi and then what?

Do I just play stuff on the Casio to generate the midi signal? Then, TAL U-NO 62 converts it to sound and I can manipulate that sound? Or what?

Edit2:
Ok, apparently TAL U-NO has some preset sounds (which can be further manipulated and such; all pretty cool). How do I use the Casio keyboard to "play" instead of the stupid UI that Reaper has for the midi item?

Pardon my noob questions...

Are you connected via USB or MIDI Cable? If so you need to change the input in reaper to MIDI -> Channel 1.

If that isn't enough info I may be able to help you more when I get back to my desktop so I can give pictures.

As for Casio I got a sweet Casio CZ-1000 for $150. I use it for a MIDI controller all the time. Or if I want to program DX-7 sounding stuff. Even came with original box!
Quote by FireHawk
Are you connected via USB or MIDI Cable? If so you need to change the input in reaper to MIDI -> Channel 1.

Ok, that makes sense. Yeah, I'm going to buy a MIDI cable. So, after setting the input, then I should be able to just hit the keys on the Casio and it'll record the signal and TAL U-NO will translate it into recordable sound data, correct?

As for Casio I got a sweet Casio CZ-1000 for $150. I use it for a MIDI controller all the time. Or if I want to program DX-7 sounding stuff. Even came with original box!
Damn, that does look nice.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, that makes sense. Yeah, I'm going to buy a MIDI cable. So, after setting the input, then I should be able to just hit the keys on the Casio and it'll record the signal and TAL U-NO will translate it into recordable sound data, correct?

Damn, that does look nice.

Does your keyboard have MIDI I/O ports? Does your computer have a way to recieve MIDI I/O. If your keyboard has MIDI I/O but your computer or interface don't have MIDI I/O you can get MIDI to USB cords. Also if the keyboard has USB you can just use it instead of MIDI cables.

Once connected you should be able to hit a note on keyboard and the plugin respond as if your were really playing a Roland Juno (what the U-NO is based off of).

--

As for the CZ-1000 its just a cheap board nothing great. Got it used for a good price. Some people claim if you really get into programming it you can make some great sounds, I just haven't used it a ton. My Esoniq ESQ-1 is a great board though and I got it pretty cheap as well.
Quote by FireHawk
Does your keyboard have MIDI I/O ports? Does your computer have a way to recieve MIDI I/O. If your keyboard has MIDI I/O but your computer or interface don't have MIDI I/O you can get MIDI to USB cords. Also if the keyboard has USB you can just use it instead of MIDI cables.

Good point. The keyboard has a MIDI i/o port. My PC does not. So, I'll need to get a MIDI to USB cord. Should be easy enough to find at the local Radioshack.

Once connected you should be able to hit a note on keyboard and the plugin respond as if your were really playing a Roland Juno (what the U-NO is based off of).

Ok, cool, cool. Sounds easy enough.

As for the CZ-1000 its just a cheap board nothing great. Got it used for a good price. Some people claim if you really get into programming it you can make some great sounds, I just haven't used it a ton. My Esoniq ESQ-1 is a great board though and I got it pretty cheap as well.
Yeah, I mean, to me, it sounds like the way to get the best sound (on any keyboard) is to do programming. I doubt I'll be getting too heavily into that though.
Also, as I know you sometimes have a habit of overlooking the obvious, Sam... Remember you need to create an instrument/software track, not an audio one (that's how Logic works anyway... perhaps Reaper uses one type of track though).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I think you misunderstand what MIDI is. MIDI is not sound. On the Amazon features list, it says:

MIDI makes for great sound

This is fucking wrong. MIDI is a set of digital instructions. That is ALL it is. It just so happens that this particular set of digital instructions was organized and devised in such a way that would be most useful for music applications.

So it is literally this:
The note C4 is pressed.
It is being sustained.
It has been released / STOP.

So if you're just sticking a 1/4" jack output from the keyboard to your computer audio interface, you are recording the sound coming out of the keyboard as-is, in an analog medium (electronic signal, different from digital signal).

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Also, as I know you sometimes have a habit of overlooking the obvious, Sam... Remember you need to create an instrument/software track, not an audio one (that's how Logic works anyway... perhaps Reaper uses one type of track though).

Well, in Reaper, you have just one type of track. Then, for MIDI, you create a MIDI item inside a track. Then, for drums you'd pick the drum VST; and for synths, I obviously would use TAL U-NO (which is a very cool VTS, btw).

Quote by Xiaoxi
This is fucking wrong. MIDI is a set of digital instructions. That is ALL it is. It just so happens that this particular set of digital instructions was organized and devised in such a way that would be most useful for music applications.

So it is literally this:
The note C4 is pressed.
It is being sustained.
It has been released / STOP.

I got that. I just didn't understand how I would translate that signal into sound in the DAW. I mean, I had read up on MIDI a bit; it's just that I sort of figured I couldn't plug directly in and run without something else (like, as I learned, TAL U-NO).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 11, 2013,
So, to continue with Xiaoxi's example...

The keyboard sends a set of instructions to the computer that look sort of like this:

Note on = C4
velocity = 120
when duration = 150 ms, then note = off

Now the computer has these instructions "recorded."

Within your software, you take those instructions and run them through a VST instrument (just to keep it simple). The computer tells the virtual instrument:

Note on = C4
velocity = 120

Within the virtual instrument, you decide what kind of sound you want and what kinds of effect/s you want to use.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
So, to continue with Xiaoxi's example...

The keyboard sends a set of instructions to the computer that look sort of like this:

Note on = C4
velocity = 120

Now the computer has these instructions "recorded."

Within your software, you take those instructions and run them through a VST instrument (just to keep it simple). The computer tells the virtual instrument:

Note on = C4
velocity = 120

Within the virtual instrument, you decide what kind of sound you want and what kinds of effect/s you want to use.

CT
Ok, got it now. Thanks.
Yep, my amp uses MIDI to switch channels/things on and off, and if I wanted I could use the MIDI inputs to switch the patches externally in 'scenes' from a MIDI controller or computer Hughes & Kettner are awesome.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yep, my amp uses MIDI to switch channels/things on and off, and if I wanted I could use the MIDI inputs to switch the patches externally in 'scenes' from a MIDI controller or computer Hughes & Kettner are awesome.

Damn, that sounds useful!
Midi is also used to control lighting systems.

Instead of:

Note on = C4
velocity = 120

You can use the same data to trigger:

Light on = green #2
velocity (intensity) = 80%
when duration = 2 sec, then light = off

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.