Page 1 of 3
This is part of my research in player behavior and preferences, and I'd love it if the Pit could take a couple of seconds to answer this.

Out of this list, pick the 5 things that you think are most important to you in games, along with your age and gender (this is optional).

I would make this some kind of anonymous poll, but then there'd be no way to check that people actually only picked five of these:

1. High level of difficulty/challenge
2. Competetive gameplay
3. Cooperative gameplay
4. Destruction and aggression-based gameplay
5. Protection and defense-based gameplay
6. Spatial puzzles (as in Portal)
7. Verbal puzzles (as in many adventure games)
8. Gameplay learnt by example (you are shown how to do most things at least once)
9. Gameplay learnt by trial and error (you are not given instructions for everything)
10. Emotionally interesting gameplay
11. A real-world connection (as in Sims)

Thanks!
Out of the list, I guess these are my preferences, although I don't really feel it reflects my top 5 priories in games.

9. Gameplay learnt by trial and error (you are not given instructions for everything)
13: Chance of pixelated sideboobs
Last edited by lncognito at Mar 9, 2013,
Kind of difficult to pick since I want different things from games in different genres. What I want from a shooter like CoD or Halo is entirely different from Fallout or Red Dead or Assassin's Creed or whatever.

If I had to pick five I guess I would say, 1, 2, 4, 6, and10 (though 3 and 9 are right there too)

21 year old male
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster

3. Cooperative gameplay

Also, and most importantly, replayability.

Oh, and 21 year old male.

I like long games with a story that is interesting/in-depth enough that I want to talk to other people about it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by lncognito
Out of the list, I guess these are my preferences, although I don't really feel it reflects my top 5 priories in games.

13: Chance of NOT pixelated sideboobs

this exactly this cept t hem sideboobs cant be pixelated unless they are samuses sweet pixels from the first metroid
Male, 23

3. Cooperative gameplay
8. Gameplay learnt by example (you are shown how to do most things at least once)

However, these things don't accurately reflect what I really look for in games. They were just the closest answers from your list.

Quote by eGraham
Also, and most importantly, replayability.

Can't stress this enough. Replay value, for me, is HUGE. It's a big reason why I'll take a game like Okami over a game like Skyward Sword any day of the week.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Mar 9, 2013,
2. Competetive gameplay

19, male
These are just the five that fits the best for me. I like games where you get to think a lot and sports games, preferably team sports. NHL is one of my favourites at the time. The most important thing though is that the game gets adrenaline pumping. Hence my favorite games are NHL and NFS.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
2. Competetive gameplay

I'd also like to add in "Fun".

21, Male.
Last edited by boreamor at Mar 9, 2013,
I kind of find it hard to pick from that list because they all kind of apply to different types of game.
But this is important:
3. Cooperative gameplay

Also, something you haven't listed which is kind of important for me in a game is moddability. I spend more time in map editors than the actual game, most of the time, and if there's no way to extend the game then I get bored incredibly fast.

21 year old male
Last edited by captainsnazz at Mar 9, 2013,
3. Cooperative gameplay

21, male

Haven't been playing many "big name" games recently. I've sunk many, many hours into Kerbal Space Program recently, as well as FTL.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by captainsnazz
Also, something you haven't listed which is kind of important for me in a game is moddability. I spend more time in map editors than the actual game, most of the time, and if there's no way to extend the game then I get bored incredibly fast.

Everything I listed I listed for a reason, and that reason has everything to do with why I'm asking this question. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
3. Cooperative gameplay

16 y/o male
West Ham United
nudity

ok, really:

19 male

1, 2, 4, 9, 10
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Quote by CoreysMonster
Everything I listed I listed for a reason, and that reason has everything to do with why I'm asking this question. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Well then doctor, if you're asking what sort of game your next game should be, then 3 5 6 9 10.
Emotionally interesting gameplay
Verbal puzzles
Spatial puzzles
Gameplay learnt by example
Gameplay learnt by trial and error

2X male

The first one is the only one that I really look for, then the puzzles are pretty important, then by the last two I was just reaching.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by captainsnazz
Well then doctor, if you're asking what sort of game your next game should be, then 3 5 6 9 10.

You misunderstand the purpose of this question, captain-san.

Male, 22.

3. Cooperative gameplay

However, I would not avoid playing a game that did not feature one of these elements. I'd also value a good story and fun over any of the above options.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Your list sucks, I'm going to make my own.

1. Graphic simulation of gore and violence
2. Sexual objectification of women
3. Gameplay that acts as a tutorial for real-world firearm usage
4. Frustrating level design and AI that leads to feelings of aggression
5. In-game rewards for utilizing efficient strategies in shooting large numbers of enemies that are confined in small public places such as schools and movie theaters
Quote by CoreysMonster
This is part of my research in player behavior and preferences, and I'd love it if the Pit could take a couple of seconds to answer this.

Out of this list, pick the 5 things that you think are most important to you in games, along with your age and gender (this is optional).

I would make this some kind of anonymous poll, but then there'd be no way to check that people actually only picked five of these:

2. Competetive gameplay
3. Cooperative gameplay
11. A real-world connection (as in Sims)

Thanks!

Here you go. Male, 22 years of age.

I haven't bought anything beside FIFA games in ages. Thing is, I'm sick of most games for sale out there, they all look the same to me. I want to be emotionally invested, which is why I liked Heavy Rain and will buy The Last Of Us. I loved Final Fantasy games for the story, the characters and the feel of unpredictable adventure.

I don't wanna run around with a gun shooting people.
2. Competetive gameplay

Like most people said, I probably look for slightly different things, but for your list, this fits pretty good.

18 year old male.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
1. High level of difficulty/challenge (that does NOT mean something hard that you have to keep repeating over and over, not because you don't know what to do but because the game just makes it dumbassingly hard to accomplish and just wastes valuable game-playing time... cos I hate this UNLESS that's the entire game)
11. A real-world connection

Also... immersion. This is the No.1 deal-breaker, if I can immerse myself and feel like I'm in this world (ie Elder Scrolls, Fallout), I will enjoy the game twice as much (includes SimCity 4 and Sims too actually).

22 (**** I feel old), male.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

5. In-game rewards for utilizing efficient strategies in shooting large numbers of enemies that are confined in small public places such as schools and movie theaters

You missed out DLC and always-online DRM.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X

Very good list. 5/5.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.

Dis comment gets me a dan oudda dan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbYgt_cffU

you're a stone fox
2. Competetive gameplay
3. Cooperative gameplay
(i like team based competitive like Halo, were it is competitive, and you can lone wolf it, but if your going up against a coordinated cooperative team than your gonna get ****ed; likewise, if you and your team work well together than you will demolish).

This is not necessarily my top 5, but of your list it is.

Sounds like my kind of game
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
2. Competetive gameplay
11. A real-world connection (as in open-ended, sandbox)

I prefer the rough stuff. Makes for good anger distractions.

19/m
1, 4, 6, 8, and 9.

There are many things that I look for in games, but of course I can only pick the ones you lay out.

18 year old male.
Last edited by Skodward714 at Mar 9, 2013,
1, 2, 7 (I guess? I'm not too sure what you mean but I absolutely need adventure in my games), 8, and 10.

And I'm 21 and obviously a male.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I'd say diversity and personalisation.

1. An open choice of how to play/what to do - you can always make it your own and work towards something different

2. Variable difficulty - you can alter, improve and adjust as you get better

3. Good graphics and FPS and sound quality - even on Xbox with the restrictions of it. It can really improve the cinematic kinda experience

4. Attention to detail in a way that can surprise you - those little things you notice when its something insignificant but it adds to the fact the devs care

5. A focus on either the story, or the online experience - there is a balance but depending on the game, the main focus should be its best aspect. Like Skyrim being based on the personal story. And battlefield 3 being based on the online gaming for example.
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
What do you mean by "Emotionally Interesting Gameplay"? Does that mean emotional investment in the characters?

I'm having trouble identifying the most important factors in your list. I can think of games that I like that fit each of the elements described. Each element could be used in a good or bad way, which makes it hard to make a definite choice.
Page 1 of 3