I'm thinking of getting a multi-fx unit to go into a tube head + cab but was wondering if it's still better to go for pedals in this day and age, or have multi-FX units caught up and can match the sound of stomp boxes?
Depends what sounds you need. I'd prefer separate boxes. Also some should be in the front, others not, so depends on a lot.
Don't think of it as matching the sound of pedals. Think of it as just another way to get a sound.
I have a line 6 pod hd500. And for a while, it did replace a pedalboard for me. Now I have it and a small board. They both do different things and have different sounds. If you try out a multi effect and think "hey this can do all the sounds I need without even using my pedals" then maybe it would be a good option for you.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Sure it can, it's 100% personal preference.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Depends on what multi-fx you're talking about.
TC G-System, Fractal Audio Axe-FX 2 (with midiboard), etc, sure.
From personal experience, I use a boss me-70 in front of my amp, and that's done me just fine, never felt the need for any extra, although I like my setup simple, and having a massive board would probably annoy me in the end. Also my use of effects is pretty sparse, generally overdrive, compressor, delay (occasionally, I like the sound it adds to my cleans sometimes), and the odd bit of wah for leads, and that does me just fine, although if you're looking for some more left field effects, you might need pedals
depends on your preferences and needs

for me theres no way i would replace all my pedals with a multi fx
im too used to the analogue pedal sounds and feels and i like messing with the circuits and modding my pedals and also i like having a pedals boards with all those colorfull pedals

i might one day if i had the money have a multi fx and pedals but ill always at the end(in the front really) have my wah my distortion my fuzz and all into a cranked tube amp
If it's good, yes. Minimum $500 unit is passable. Stuff like TC Electronic or Fractal could fool anyone.

I went digital only for a while, settled on hybrid recently. Most MFX can't do drives right, and I prefer an actual pedal for comp. But for everything else, a good digital unit can replace with no problem.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Line 6 M13 replaced just about every pedal on my board, two fx channels pre and two in the loop, with a Mission Engineering pedal. That said, I too like mixing and matching and modding actual pedals. Can't say I'll never buy another single pedal but right now the M13 does it all for me, including all the Whammy harmonizing and pitch shifting fx. Can't think of anything it doesn't do well thru a good amp with an fx loop. 4CM of course.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
The best part about MFX pedals is consistency.

You can set up patches with certain paremeters for certain FX and it'll be dialed in right every time you need it. Immediately.

But you also lose some flexibility, like it can be harder to adjust individual parameters at random like you could with real pedals--you can still adjust some parameters at will with some of the better MFX, but it might take some pre-planning to make those parameter controls available--you can't just adjust every single thing instantly at any time like you could with pedals.

Lots of MFX now have FX loops so you can get the best of both worlds.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
honestly for a bunch of good delay sounds, clean volume boosts a tuner? etc there are a lot of things a good multi could replace for me. tremolo?

considering you get you into boutique pedals at 15+ a pop or 200+ a pop for delays, a multi could almost pay for itself IF you like the sound.

this i will never like with a multi:

if it breaks, your done. goodbye sound (or if you want to change it same thing)

i will NEVER rely on a multi FX for my OD pedals or any kind of gain altering effect other than a clean boost in the loop

i will never rely on a multi-fx for a analog delay tone

i would probably not rely on a multi FX for a wah tone.

best thing bout it:

multiple patches of mixing FX without the tap dance
yes and consistancy. there are no knobs to move etc.

at the moment i really want 2-3 different delay tones on top of lead tones etc. i was thinking of buying a 2nd delay and a looper pedal to do a patch of a boost and delay at once
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I completely forgot about the looper...another great feature. And stacking delays and verbs is possible as well. Good point on real time adjusting of parameters but with an attached pedal most can be assigned to adjust most any effect on the fly. There is definitely a learning curve going to a mfx unit but I think the benefits make them worth considering for sure.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
with an attached pedal most can be assigned to adjust most any effect on the fly.

Sorry if I miscommunicated--that's what I meant by pre-planning.

Lots of them will also let you control them thru MIDI, so with even more pre-planning and gear, you can control even more paremeters on the fly. Heck, with enough MIDI gear, maybe even all of them. But most of us won't go that far. I'd like to try, but I got other priorities, too.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
I really have no desire to buy more effects pedals after getting my RP1000. My carbon copy is sitting in my room unplugged.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
For me, it was more a question of not knowing what I wanted. The Vox Tonelab gave me a chance to explore a lot of different sounds for much less than it would've cost to try all of those things. It still does.
I've been using a GP8 and a Quadraverb for over 20 years. The only pedal I use is a Morley wah because the only wah in the rack is an auto-wah which just isn't the same. Otherwise I am much happier with the MFX units.
What you asked really is, "how long is a piece of string?"
For gigging I personally think a good MFX unit is the way to go, program it once and you're done. When I need to vary a parameter contiguously on the fly I simply target an expression pedal at it.
If I'm just screwing around and/or jamming individual pedals can be simpler but if you are a working muso with a set list, give me a good MFX every time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have used both over the years. I started out with a DF-1 and added to that. Then a few years ago I got my hands on a Zoom Something-Or-Other. Used it for awhile and realized that I hated it. Now I'm back to individual boxes on my board and I'll likely keep them for the long haul. My main problem with multi FX units is the switching. Some like Line 6 have individual buttons for each channel, while others just have an "up-down" and that can be a pain in the ass. That's the very reason I don't use the foot switch with my modeling head. If I want to go from channel 1 to channel 4, I don't want to visit 2 and 3 to get there.

But like everyone else is telling you, it's all a matter of taste and how you want to use it. 28 years slinging a guitar have taught me that I prefer separate stompboxes.
Quote by Cathbard
I've been using a GP8 and a Quadraverb for over 20 years. The only pedal I use is a Morley wah because the only wah in the rack is an auto-wah which just isn't the same. Otherwise I am much happier with the MFX units.
What you asked really is, "how long is a piece of string?"
For gigging I personally think a good MFX unit is the way to go, program it once and you're done. When I need to vary a parameter contiguously on the fly I simply target an expression pedal at it.
If I'm just screwing around and/or jamming individual pedals can be simpler but if you are a working muso with a set list, give me a good MFX every time.

+1

Quote by kd8dqk

But like everyone else is telling you, it's all a matter of taste and how you want to use it. 28 years slinging a guitar have taught me that I prefer separate stompboxes.

It doesn't sound like you really gave a decent MFX a chance. Any MFX worth anything will let you switch to any patch whenever you want.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
With the press of one button I can switch multiple effects, change the boost into the preamp, change the strength of the signal hitting the power amp and switch the channel on the amp. Let's see you do that with stompboxes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Would the Line 6 M16 count as a high quality MFX? I'd probably send a wah, Diamond Compressor and Suhr Riot into it to cover those bases but for tremolos, phasers, chorus etc is the sound quality up to scratch?

The G-System looks ideal but it's very expensive as my initial priority is a head/ cab.
What effects do you need and do you need many different effects of the same type? If you only need four or five pedals, I think it's cheaper to just buy them individually. But if you need to cover a lot of different sounds, multi FX is better for you.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Offworld92
+1

It doesn't sound like you really gave a decent MFX a chance. Any MFX worth anything will let you switch to any patch whenever you want.

True, the junker that I had just wasted my time. I'm not saying that MFX aren't a good thing, because for the right person they are awesome. My lead guitarist uses one and I would probably strangle him if he stopped using it. Ok, not really, but its something to behold. I just like my board and if I get sick of my looper, I can switch it out for another pedal. I guess for me it's a usefulness thing. I do use a rack and four FX on the floor. It is more cost-effective for me to have pedals rather than hundreds of effects that I never use.
Last edited by kd8dqk at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What effects do you need and do you need many different effects of the same type? If you only need four or five pedals, I think it's cheaper to just buy them individually. But if you need to cover a lot of different sounds, multi FX is better for you.

Personally I'd like to have every available effect under the sun in my arsenal as it opens up more creative possibilities.
Quote by Chargrill3d
Personally I'd like to have every available effect under the sun in my arsenal as it opens up more creative possibilities.

Well, then multi FX is what you need. I don't think single stomp boxes are worth it if you just buy them to maybe get an inspiration and will never use them again.

I have only found use for basic modulation pedals and delay and reverb (and distortion of course but that's a built in feature of almost every guitar amp).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 10, 2013,
Zoom G3 (with ver2.0 update) allows 6 fx at once, free fx routing within the mfx unit. It's about $169, should be cheaper used. A lot of guys are using it combined with their other pedals .

Start there, try different fx in it, see what you find most useful. If the whole patch based song set list appeals to you then go & buy another mfx unit which offers major versatility over it and sell this one.

If you find that you aren't using a lot of different fx & don't need a lot of switching mid song then go and try out some individual stompboxes for those specific fx.
Last edited by steven_ferns84 at Mar 10, 2013,
I'm not saying anything bad about MFX. I'm just saying that I prefer stompboxes. Just my individual taste. I use, at most, four guitar effects and not always all at once. It's easier and more cost-efficient.
Last edited by kd8dqk at Mar 11, 2013,
I don't see how stomp boxes can be cost effective in any situation. Not talking about whether they work for you better or not, purely from a cost standpoint:

At the cost of 5 pedals, you could get a Boss GT10/100 or a POD HD500. That's 5 effects vs. virtually unlimited customization. And those are both good, quality units (we're not talking about amp modeling here) for FX.

If you go boutique, you can get maybe 2 or 3 pedals for the cost of a GT/POD. If you have the money, that's great, but cost effectiveness is just not there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't see how stomp boxes can be cost effective in any situation. Not talking about whether they work for you better or not, purely from a cost standpoint:

At the cost of 5 pedals, you could get a Boss GT10/100 or a POD HD500. That's 5 effects vs. virtually unlimited customization. And those are both good, quality units (we're not talking about amp modeling here) for FX.

If you go boutique, you can get maybe 2 or 3 pedals for the cost of a GT/POD. If you have the money, that's great, but cost effectiveness is just not there.

You have a valid point. However, you are assuming that I pay full retail price for my stompboxes. I inherited quite a few and sold most of them because I simply didn't need them. Granted, if I paid for boutique FX I would be just as well off with a Pod or something of that nature, but right now I don't have nearly that much invested and I still get what I want.
Considering axe fx is two grand and a wait list and I only want 4 more pedals to complete my board and would cost me $600 at most in a retail setting I'm better off doing it with individual pedals its cheaper and i get to pick what ever the hell I want. I'm not saying that they can't replace individual pedals but I'm not impressed enough with the budget modeler currently available on the market.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by kd8dqk
However, you are assuming that I pay full retail price for my stompboxes.

Why wouldn't he assume that? You can't just make a statement like "stomp boxes are cost-effective" and assume that everyone knows that you're only talking about yourself and your uncommon situation.
Going used is a pretty moot point. I payed $250 for my GT-10, used. Tit for tat.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Line 6 M13 is awesome. The only thing I might consider ditching it for is a G-System but I'd have to weigh the pros and cons there and consider the cost difference.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM (2), RG7421, Mayer Strat

Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50, Vypyr 60