13 38%
No opinion
4 12%
It's ok for most things except that one thing that's not ok
4 12%
It's ok for w/e
11 32%
Voters: 34.
Is choosing your mate a kind of softcore eugenics? If so, should eugenics permissible? Where is the line drawn between influencing your potential child's genes and 'playing god'?

Diss and cuss
Check out my band Disturbed
people who produce ugly offspring should be exterminated
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Man, I can't wait for that game to come out. ****ing bitches be all over dem kitty cats and competitions and shit, randomized gameplay with 10^28 different kinds of cats? Sign me up!
Yes, it is.

Yes, it should.

If god didn't want us to play god he wouldn't have let us exploit glitches in his coding that allows us to alter genetic sequences.
I guess it could be if you're considering the deep genetic outcomes, like that one episode of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon is considering the ultimate mate to create a genius child.

But otherwise I don't see how.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by WCPhils

I'm pretty sure that is the purpose of the pit; to create an extensive database of whom should be emitted from the gene pool when such people are to exterminated.

(Which is cool with me, btw, as long as ugly people include fatties )
Last edited by lncognito at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by lncognito

(Which is cool with me, btw, as long as ugly people include fatties )

Of course
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
In some ways it is, but a subconscious decision. Most people don't decide to start a relationship with the intention of having children purely on the genetic traits displayed by the other person. Although it is a factor when it comes to just sperm/egg donors.

I think that it should be allowed to prevent genetic diseases/abnormalities, but I worry that society will express varying levels of hate towards those who decide not to alter their potential offspring's genes in order to prevent abnormalities.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Honestly, although I think the actual question as presented is grasping at straws and very hyperbolic, it has an interesting flair to it. With that being said, I think that the difference between selective mating (and lets be honest, the very non-scientific phenomenon of love) are entirely different from modifying genetic sequences and whatnot.
My God, it's full of stars!
we should make a clone of kurt cobain so he can kill himself twice
you're a stone fox
Quote by WCPhils

Don't talk about your parents that way.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

that spoiler :')
you're a stone fox
To be purely objective, as if I would be some alien looking down from my McSwagga BMW-UFO, I would say; "yeah of course, why not? It can only help I suppose?"

Just like people breed dogs to be skinny little ugly f*cks and sittin' all day in dem purse of an naturally ugly looking lady who appears "hot" because of a basecoat of greasepaint, we can "breed" people.

Just like people perform aesthetical surgery. Do dat sh*t with dem genes and yo' kids won't have to suffer dem damn hospital visits!

What's a eugenic?
Is that some sort of mixed drink?
I'll have two.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
i will have every single one of my future mates dna tested for proper genes
its my duty for the world to only pass along my perfect genes in a perfect vessel

dem dna tests gonna run me ragged
Quote by ErikLensherr

lol

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Ah, your use of the modern day Swastika is commendable, Furher Phils.

Heil daisy!

___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 9, 2013,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
What's a eugenic?
Is that some sort of mixed drink?
I'll have two.

It's a drink that makes you unable to fill out the paperwork that I mentioned in my story about where babies come from. The drink is generally given to people that hand out the forms incorrectly (meaning the babies come out poorly) so that they can't mess up the paperwork again (thus preventing another baby to come out poorly).
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Even if you did choose someone for their physical characteristics only, there's no guarantee that those same genes and those same characteristics will be passed onto your child.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by theogonia777
It's a drink that makes you unable to fill out the paperwork that I mentioned in my story about where babies come from. The drink is generally given to people that hand out the forms incorrectly (meaning the babies come out poorly) so that they can't mess up the paperwork again (thus preventing another baby to come out poorly).

So is it the equivalent of a 'You just got fired' drink, or is it more of a slap on the wrist kind of drink?
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Joshua Garcia
So is it the equivalent of a 'You just got fired' drink, or is it more of a slap on the wrist kind of drink?

More along the line of a "we don't want you to ever mess up that badly again so we won't even give you another chance" type of drink.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Ah. I gotcha. Thank you for sharing this helpful information, wise one.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Waterboy799
Even if you did choose someone for their physical characteristics only, there's no guarantee that those same genes and those same characteristics will be passed onto your child.

Not for every trait, but I guarantee that if you have kids with a black girl, 99% of the time, your kid will be dark skinned. Also, if you fuck a gay dude, 100% the kid won't exist.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Not for every trait, but I guarantee that if you have kids with a black girl, 99% of the time, your kid will be dark skinned. Also, if you fuck a gay dude, 100% the kid won't exist.

Lol, that's not true. One of my uncles had two kids with his black wife and both kids are pretty white. What you said isn't wrong, but it's not a guarantee.

It obviously depends on what genes we're talking about - for some it's a game of chance, for most you'll have the dominant genes winning out over the recessive and in some cases you can have genes mix.

But I don't know...my knowledge of genetics is limited. It was always one of my least favorite aspects of biology
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I don't see a problem with using it to make sure the child isn't born with some genetic disease.
Quote by Waterboy799

No guarantee but any characteristic you can think to name will be heritable to some extent. Attractiveness, intelligence, height, health, political views are just a few of the significant factors we know to be so.

Quote by Waterboy799

It obviously depends on what genes we're talking about - for some it's a game of chance, for most you'll have the dominant genes winning out over the recessive and in some cases you can have genes mix.

Most genetic effects we'd care to/be able to focus on are additive, lots and lots of genes all doing tiny little things. Because of this even with mutation, drift, interactions and all the stuff that makes it so complicated coming into play people tend towards their parents on these traits.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Last edited by leeb rocks at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by StewieSwan
Also, if you fuck a gay dude, 100% the kid won't exist.

What if you're a girl and you fuck a gay dude, or what if you're a boy and the gay dude has a vagina? So much for that 100% chance.
I don't see why there should be any problem with "playing god." The primary purpose of mating has always been to pass on DNA and create offspring. Are you going to accuse animals of playing god as well?
Quote by TheChaz
I don't see why there should be any problem with "playing god." The primary purpose of mating has always been to pass on DNA and create offspring. Are you going to accuse animals of playing god as well?

Well then all the animals are going to go to hell.
Eugenics is a bad idea because we can't possibly predict what genes will be the strongest in the future.