define "heavy"

i played the 100w extensively, and did not care for it at all for what i play.
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
I wasn't as impressed with the mini as I thought I'd be when I tried it. When I tried the 100w when it first came out, I loved it, could get very brutal with tons of clarity, but the mini was just kinda meh :\

I'd go with an ASG Hybris if I was looking in that price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I thought it was great. its got its own kind of characteristic, really you have to play one and decide for yourself.

I agree with the hybris though.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Chargrill3d
Anyone got one and what are your thoughts for heavier styles of music?

I played one a while back through a vertical mesa 2x12 with V30's.

nails that Trivium In Waves tone, and can probably do Shogun too. for other stuff, Id say the distortion is too smooth for alot of other stuff even with an EMG loaded guitar. no where near as agressive as my old 6534+ and my current live/studio tone for my band is a 5153 model and is way tighter and agressive on my Axe fx II. Cleans are a little stale too. lots of mid but no chime deep resonance (the 2 things I NEED in cleans).

its a very smooth and sweet amp in comparison to similarly styled and priced amps but it does have alot of gain on tap, and sounds great for certain sounds.

If you need a small amp, the Mini recto is a much better amp IMO
Mine should ship tomorrow. Can't wait.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by Seanthesheep
I played one a while back through a vertical mesa 2x12 with V30's.

nails that Trivium In Waves tone, and can probably do Shogun too. for other stuff, Id say the distortion is too smooth for alot of other stuff even with an EMG loaded guitar. no where near as agressive as my old 6534+ and my current live/studio tone for my band is a 5153 model and is way tighter and agressive on my Axe fx II. Cleans are a little stale too. lots of mid but no chime deep resonance (the 2 things I NEED in cleans).

its a very smooth and sweet amp in comparison to similarly styled and priced amps but it does have alot of gain on tap, and sounds great for certain sounds.

If you need a small amp, the Mini recto is a much better amp IMO

yes, "smooth" is a good way to describe the distortion

i have a 6505, it's raw and grainy. that's what i like. the evh just couldnt deliver
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
BoneAndDream, in your 6505 thread we were talking about the 5150 III being hit and miss - maybe there's an important distinction between the 100W and the Mini, as MatrixClaw suggested.

I love the tone no the newest Gojira album, that's all a full size 5150 III. Yet what I hear out of the Mini often seems "meh". There's probably something to that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I want to play one. It seems nice enough, though I really have a problem paying a grand for a MIC amp (my gripe about egnater). I have a feeling that I would like it, but I also love the 6505 and would probably want that sound out of it
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I have a 5150 iii mini and love it! If you crank up the the presence it gets really grainy and brutal, and has more gain than you'll ever need! At low volumes a boost is useful to get a really grainy tone, but if you have a good cab, good pickups this amp will destroy!
Quote by Offworld92

I love the tone no the newest Gojira album, that's all a full size 5150 III. Yet what I hear out of the Mini often seems "meh".

I heard Explosia on Sirius the other day and immediately bought the album. Love that tone too. I'd guess they layer pretty heavily on the album, but I could be wrong.

Hmmm...time to fire up L'enfant Sauvage right now I think!
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
Oh yeah, definitely, unfortunately. But still.

I'm not a huge fan of the album overall... I thought it was pretty weak compared to The Way of All Flesh. That album is absolutely amazing. But there are some amazing songs on L'enfant Sauvage. Explosia, L'enfant Sauvage (Mainly for the outro), Liquid Fire, Planned Obsolescence and, by far my favorite on the album, The Gift of Guilt. The rest feel kind of "filler-y" to me.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The way of all flesh, damn.

Toxic garbage island was my soundtrack to sophomore year. Awesome stuff
Quote by dementiacaptain
The way of all flesh, damn.

Toxic garbage island was my soundtrack to sophomore year. Awesome stuff

That's my least favorite song on the album, literally the only one I'm "meh" about.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Really? I thought it was gnarly. Not saying the rest isn't great but I really like that one. Dude we are just two halves of a whole prog metal fan
I don't own one, but I spent about 3 1/2 hours in a Guitar Center one day playing every amp they had in the high-gain category. I played the 5150 III 100 watt head with its matching 412 cab. I also played a Marshall JVM 410, Mesa Dual Rec, and a Peavey 6505+ w/ 412 cab.

I play mostly black metal with a heavy death metal influence and like a dark, heavy, but tight sound. I very much like the tone on the first three The Black Dahlia Murder albums, though my music is somewhat different.

That said, the 6505 was and remains the only amp I've ever played that satisfies me for that genre of music. Admittedly, I didn't spend much time playing the 5150 III. It sounded grainy and harsh without the balls that are so abundant in a true 5150 and its variants. However, the crunch and clean sounds were far superior to my 6505+. It just kind of failed for me in the br00tz department. For some people though, it might be perfect. You just have to try and see.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thanks for the tip. Just grabbed Way of All Flesh from Amazon (CD, but DL'ing now too).

As I said, I'm hoping my 5150III mini gets me in that direction. I'm actually curious about blending the mini with the dual rec.
Guitars

Amps
Quote by Deadpool_25
Thanks for the tip. Just grabbed Way of All Flesh from Amazon (CD, but DL'ing now too).

As I said, I'm hoping my 5150III mini gets me in that direction. I'm actually curious about blending the mini with the dual rec.

Definitely worth the money. I'm actually a pretty avid CD collector, and it's pretty sad that I don't have that album. I can never find it anywhere.

Damn man, you can buy me an amp too if you want!

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ha! I'm trying to quit buying stuff now! Amps anyway

Although I must admit...the Hybris has me intrigued...

I have a bunch of old CDs but mostly just DL music these days from iTunes. That album wasn't on iTunes though and I'm glad. I found it on Amazon and it was 12.99 for the CD with instant free DL. And I have a killer system in the car (loud but audiophile quality) and the CD should sound amazing in there.

Back on topic, I played the 100W in the store and it killed. I haven't played the mini yet but from all the clips and reviews I can find, I just can't see how it could be less than stellar for heavy stuff. Though that of course depends on what exact tone you're looking for. Those kind of differences are why I have a mini on order even though the Tremoverb is bad-F'n-ass.

So from what I've seen, and my experience with the 100W...yes, the mini can do heavier stuff quite well. With that said, it should probably be A/B'd with other stuff like 6505, dual rec, etc to figure out what tone suits your taste (I'd have mentioned Hybris, but that might be tough to find to demo ). Versatility is my number one concern which is why I have the Tremoverb and why I ordered the 5150III mini; both seem to excel at many different styles, but are also easy to dial in.
Guitars

Amps
Quote by BoneAndDream
yes, "smooth" is a good way to describe the distortion

i have a 6505, it's raw and grainy. that's what i like. the evh just couldnt deliver

yea, I sold my 6534+ because it was wayyy to raw and grainey for my tastes