Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new acoustic guitar. I'll be using for alot of chording and picking, some fingerstyle occationally. I'll be playing with a singer/pianist sometimes and with another guitarist perhaps. I've played every guitar in the music shops in town and the only guitar I like is the Taylor 316ce but it's outside my budget by far. I'm thinking about ordering a Takamine eg-450 smcs from germany as a compromise. Havent played a Takamine and cant find one to try. Really prefer the 314/316 body shape to dreadnought. Other options? I'm in Sweden by the way
Have you considered buying a used one? I own a Taylor 314CE and can tell you that the Takamine is going to sound a lot different than that Taylor.
what is your budget? there are a lot of Grand Auditorium style guitars out there. not sure what's available to you in Sweden.
Yes I look for used constantly. Atleast if I buy a new unseen I can return it if its bad. Budget about $1200 at the very max but havent found one I like in that range.
for that money, there are a lot of excellent options. its tougher than someone that has say...$300 to spend. what are the popular available brands in Sweden? the Yamaha A series falls into that range as do some lower level Martins, Taylors and so many others. personally, i'd take an upper level Yammie or blueridge over a lower Taylor or martin.
Quote by stepchildusmc
for that money, there are a lot of excellent options. its tougher than someone that has say...$300 to spend. what are the popular available brands in Sweden? the Yamaha A series falls into that range as do some lower level Martins, Taylors and so many others. personally, i'd take an upper level Yammie or blueridge over a lower Taylor or martin.

Yeah I have tried the lower series Taylor and they don't do it for me at all. I've played some Yamahas (mostly low-end) but they dont woe me at all either. I like a nice, balanced, bright sound and a really easy to play and versatile guitar. I'm probably ordering one today or tomorrow so all suggestions are welcome! I'm going to buy something blindly as I can't find something I like that I can try.
So I've concluded that I want a Sitka Spruce, Mahogany or Sapele back and sides dreadnought/nex or grand symphony style guitar for under $1000, might go for a Guild? Not sure. Any input?
i love my Yammie AC3M. sitka top, mohogany back and sides. great all around guitar. not as bright as my Taylor Koa, not as dark as my Adamas carbon fiber guitar. not as good for fingerpicking as the other 2 but overall it's a good guitar and 1/4 the price. it doesn't look as flashy as the Taylor nor does it have the same attitude as the Adamas, it's a good middle of the road choice.
Quote by alex747
So I've concluded that I want a Sitka Spruce, Mahogany or Sapele back and sides dreadnought/nex or grand symphony style guitar for under $1000, might go for a Guild? Not sure. Any input?

Guild's "GAD" series are within your budget. These are Chinese made, but to quite high standards. That's no different from many other "esoteric" allegedly American companies.

Most notably, "Breedlove", who uses the same electronics package as the lower priced "Crafter" instruments, but with their nameplate on them. Someone alleged that Crafter was in fact, the OEM for the imported Breedloves I haven't been able to confirm or dispute that as of yet.

One of our members recently bought an import Guild, and was effusive about his happiness with it.

So, if you can get your hands on any Guilds, why not try them?

Here's a Guild GAD Jumbo: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/guild-gad-series-f-150r-jumbo-acoustic-guitar?src=3WWRWXGP These are solid rosewood B & S, which a whole lot of people think sounds better than mahogany, and certainly sapele. @1049.00, the first M'sF sale puts it well into your budget.

Don't like my pick? Here's the whole GAD series at Guild's website: http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/?section=all&series=GAD+Series

A piece of IMHO advice. I would avoid a dreadnought completely, if I could handle a jumbo competently. They sound better, the bass is tighter, and the pinch between the bouts helps them to stay in place on your lap. They look cooler too, if that counts for anything.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
Guild's "GAD" series are within your budget. These are Chinese made, but to quite high standards. That's no different from many other "esoteric" allegedly American companies.

Most notably, "Breedlove", who uses the same electronics package as the lower priced "Crafter" instruments, but with their nameplate on them. Someone alleged that Crafter was in fact, the OEM for the imported Breedloves I haven't been able to confirm or dispute that as of yet.

One of our members recently bought an import Guild, and was effusive about his happiness with it.

So, if you can get your hands on any Guilds, why not try them?

Here's a Guild GAD Jumbo: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/guild-gad-series-f-150r-jumbo-acoustic-guitar?src=3WWRWXGP These are solid rosewood B & S, which a whole lot of people think sounds better than mahogany, and certainly sapele. @1049.00, the first M'sF sale puts it well into your budget.

Don't like my pick? Here's the whole GAD series at Guild's website: http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/?section=all&series=GAD+Series

A piece of IMHO advice. I would avoid a dreadnought completely, if I could handle a jumbo competently. They sound better, the bass is tighter, and the pinch between the bouts helps them to stay in place on your lap. They look cooler too, if that counts for anything.

Love the scaled down jumbos, maybe ill try a jumbo. Can't find Guild guitars in town, was thinking about ordering one. I've looked at Blueridge models and Epiphone masterbilt but I have to order these sight unseen and I'm very weary of buying without playing (even though I could return it if its bad). We have alot of Yamahas, simon and patricks, Taylors etc in town but not much of anything else I'm afraid. The electronics are not a dealbreaker for me. I'd prefer it to have electronics though. I played a nice Furch S-42 sf and it's a jumbo. I've also been eyeing the Furch D-19cm. Got both of those at a local music store.
Last edited by alex747 at Mar 11, 2013,
I just bought a Martin DC-16 RGTE Aura second hand not long ago for £850 GBP (about 1250 USD), and I love it. Such a versatile guitar. If you see one, I'd recommend trying it out!