Since I got no response in seemingly the most obvious topic in which to post this, I'll try here instead...

So, I think my music terminology is a bit off. At 2:44 of Iron Maiden's Afraid To Shoot Strangers and 2:57 of The Edge Of Darkness, are those classed as solos or something else? Melodies? Motifs? Riffs? Interludes? I've always called them solos but, because they repeat so much, does that exclude them from the definition of a solo? It's just that I've always thought "high pitched collection of notes = solo".
Melodies. Steve Harris, the bassist usually writes melodies like that in songs for guitar. He's very hard headed on his melody lines. He often quotes as the guitar melody lines to be something people can sing along with as well.
Ach, damn. Guess I'd better stop calling them solos then, to my non-guitar friends to whom I play this stuff. For some reason, li'l catchy melodies like that (of which Maiden does them so fucking well IMO) have always registered in mind as "solos", terminology-wise. As I said, it probably stems from my own non-guitar days from a decade ago when I used to call anything with higher-pitched notes a solo.
Quote by Deathro
Hahaha thats what I used to think solos were early on whenever I played. Just any notes up high are solos or anything that isn't chords are solos haha xD

I just call things like that and guitar solos 'lead parts' and that works well for me haha Technically most of the time a guitar solo isn't actually a 'solo' anyway.
just give me a fender and let me rip
See this has now made me re-think everything I've ever thought was a solo. As in, until now I've always thought of the entire Top Gun Anthem as one long solo. Or most of Satriani's songs. Are they not? I mean, they're all just one extended "lead part" with melodies all over the place, with enough variety to surely be classed as a giant solo.

Or is this is simply a case where the whole concept of a guitar solo is subjective enough to warrent different opinions on what counts as one?
Solo doesn't need to be improvised, it can have lots of repeats. In orchestral music it's called a solo if there's one instrument that is playing the melody. For example a trumpet solo is a melody that stands out and only trumpets play that melody. There can be many instruments playing at the same time but only trumpets play that melody. And if only one trumpet plays, it's called "soli". So I see nothing wrong with calling it a solo. Though it could also be called a guitar melody or a lead part.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115