In technical death metal, where the music is rather complex.
I was wondering what was the most common types of time signatures?
What other attributes should I know about this genre?
It's more of a research kind of thing for me, thanks UG
Yes I studied "Death and Cannibal corpse.
I've also noticed that, a lot of harmonizing is usually up 3 half steps regardless of key.
It really gives off that evil vibe.
Honestly, you'll see more polyrhythms in death metal than you will see wacky time sigs.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
i just think about it in riff patterns. like one section of twiddle-twiddle-twiddle plus two repetitions of bum-ba-bum-ba again and again, or something.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Not so much wacky time sigs, although you can have riffs that might do a few measures of say 3/4 then a measure of 5/4 or whatever, This Mortal Coil by Carcass for example.
Its mostly 4/4, 3/4, 5/4, 9/8, 12/8 kinda stuff
METAL!
4/4 and 6/8 are still the most common, just like in other styles of metal. Sometimes there'll be odd grouping off measure, like, a riff being 7 measure of 6/8 or something. Often the riffs will be in 4/4, and the second time through there'll be an extra 5/4 measure on the end doing some fiddly-diddly shit, or something like that.
Necrophagist do a lot of wacky stuff. Stabwound alternates between 4/4, 3/4, 5/8, 2/4 with a bit of 7/8, but it's mostly the phrasing and speed that makes it sound complex.
Also Gorguts are ridiculous in every way. Listen to the title track of Obscura and get a good tab.
Unless you're listening to a genre that is specifically meant to be experimental with rhythms (djent, or anything with 'prog' or 'technical' in front of it) the answer to this will always be 4/4, and 3/4 (or 6/8).
^ prog and technical have nothing to do with each other. and djent is almost always in 4/4

gorguts and necrophagist are the place you want to look
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
^ prog and technical have nothing to do with each other. and djent is almost always in 4/4

You misunderstand me. I'm not implying that prog and technical (or djent) are related. I am only stating that they all often more adventurous with their time signatures than most other genres.

And djent is indeed usually in 4/4, but it is still more adventurous with it's meters than most genres. Not to mention a lot of polymeter. It's like when people on here ask about Meshuggah's time signatures, and somebody replies and points out that they are usually in 4/4, but they're only half right because they use polymeters.
Quote by Hail

I'm not great with figuring out time signatures, but isn't Unholy Cult by Immolation filled with time sig changes?
necrophagist

go listen to some of their stuff and figure out the time signatures, since the best way to do a "research thing" generally isn't to ask everyone else to simply give you the answer
I've played in a few bands in this style in the past, and yes the most common time signature is still 4/4, like most other genres. The difference here being that syncopation and polyrhythms are very common, which throws off the 4/4 timefeel quite a bit.

You're quite right about the minor thirds harmony thing, happens a lot. Try experimenting with the diminished scale too for some pretty genre safe sounds.

Good luck!

Quote by takachan
In technical death metal, where the music is rather complex.
I was wondering what was the most common types of time signatures?
What other attributes should I know about this genre?
It's more of a research kind of thing for me, thanks UG
Yes I studied "Death and Cannibal corpse.
I've also noticed that, a lot of harmonizing is usually up 3 half steps regardless of key.
It really gives off that evil vibe.