So I had my new LP (that I purchased used) setup. Big improvement, but it seems as if they went overboard on the fretboard oil. My hands get pretty sweaty as it is and this oil makes me feel like a greaseball. Is oil on fretboards really necessary?
You'll get different opinions on this.

Some say it is fine.

Some say don't go overboard because the oil seeps into the wood grain, dries and ends up causing more damage than good. A luthier on here told me that.

I just use GHS FastFret.

PS: +311
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Some say it is fine.

Some say don't go overboard because the oil seeps into the wood grain, dries and ends up causing more damage than good. A luthier on here told me that.

I just use GHS FastFret.

PS: +311

:p I hope to god they didn't ruin my fretboard. It's pretty oily. Usually I trust these guys, but this time I'll take it with some salt.
Some people have very dry skin and keep their guitars in very dry conditions, so they become used to applying more oil than is necessary. It's pretty common with techs who spend most of the day working with their hands and constantly washing them, drying their skin out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'm a textbook example of extremely dry hands. Mine don't even sweat much when I exert myself.

But I'm no guitar tech.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I only oil mine once a year and I don't go overboard. I usually apply small amounts and let the board absorb it. I'll stop once the wood stops accepting any more of it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't know that salt would be a good option.
You can clean the excess oil off with naptha (Ronsonol/lighter fluid).
Quote by sethasaurus
I don't know that salt would be a good option.
You can clean the excess oil off with naptha (Ronsonol/lighter fluid).

I think he might have meant take the advice with a grain of salt lol
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
I think he might have meant take the advice with a grain of salt lol

Oh jeez, heh
Had a dull moment there and misread as "I'll take to it with some salt".
Still, try the naptha, it'll work wonders.
I use the dunlop fretboard conditioner on rosewood and maple fretboards only. It seems to give them a healthier look and feel. On ebony it seemed to dry it out more than I was comfortable with. On ebony I just a very slight amount of tung oil about once a year.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I use the dunlop fretboard conditioner on rosewood and maple fretboards only. It seems to give them a healthier look and feel. On ebony it seemed to dry it out more than I was comfortable with. On ebony I just a very slight amount of tung oil about once a year.

do you have raw maple or something? lacquered maple doesn't need oil at all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do you have raw maple or something? lacquered maple doesn't need oil at all.

Birdseye. I just like the way it feels afterward. And it's not just an oil, it's a cleaner, most of it evaporates quickly.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Some say it is fine.

I don't like my fretboard oily and that's what I thought about oily fretboards. The oil could seep into the wood and maybe do damage. My hands don't sweat that much but still my fret board has that dryish grime on it after weeks of playing. Is there any type of alternative cleaner that I can find in my home. Can anyone suggest?
Personally I'd take a dry cloth to it and try and soak all of that oil out of it. If it's that much that it concerns you it may be too much.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Try buffing the oil out with a clean rag. When buffing doesn't pull anymore oil from the fretboard (you start and finish with a clean rag) you'll know you're done buffing.

I oil mine about once a year, give or take. I apply a few drops down the length of the fretboard and rub them in making sure there's an even coat. After it sits for 10-15 minutes I start buffing it out until I start and finish with a clean rag.

Everything I own right now has ebony fretboards for what it's worth. And I use a product called Dr Ducks AxWax. Terrible name (especially since it doesn't contain wax) but it does everything you'd ever want to do to a guitar with a liquid. Conditions, cleans, polishes, etc. Excellent stuff and a bottle lasts FOREVER
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 14, 2013,