I very rarely get new guitars so I figured that if it's going to just keep getting scratches and dents, I thought that instead of getting a new guitar body or whatnot, I'd decorate the body by wood carving.

I've no idea about this whatsoever, is this possible?
I did some pictures on wood with carving when I was small, but I was using a high temperature needle to basically burn it in. The problem is that guitar is covered with gloss and a design, so I'm going to need some direction here.
If you're gonna do wood carving, you'll have to have a natural finish or you won't see the carving through all the colors and coats.

So you'll have to sand it down to the grain, then do your carving and then refinish in natural with all the lacquer and stuff.

TL;DR : you can't carve onto the finish, you'll have to sand it, then refinish it.
Quote by Jacques-Henri
If you're gonna do wood carving, you'll have to have a natural finish or you won't see the carving through all the colors and coats.

So you'll have to sand it down to the grain, then do your carving and then refinish in natural with all the lacquer and stuff.

TL;DR : you can't carve onto the finish, you'll have to sand it, then refinish it.

Yes, is it possible to carve in so hard that it will just bypass the upper layer and then I just throw out the chunks?