Hey all,

So, after a long period of relative dormancy, it looks like GAS is kicking in again, and hard! Just ordered a new 7 string axe after doing some research/posting in here. I also happen to be looking into trading/selling all of my other guitars for new stuff. One thing I've wanted to do for some time now, is ditch my bolt-on Jackson, and go for a neck-through version.

I own an '06 DK2M, but the newer SLSXMG models have caught my eye, due to what they offer for the money, and the glowing reviews they seem to be getting. I'm considering selling or trading in the DK2M to get my hands on one if it's the right move. I realize I'd be going from an alder to a basswood body, but I figure that the EMG's in the SLSXMG will probably somewhat mask that fact anyway!

Anyone here played the SLSXMG, or any of the X-series guitars? I don't expect it to outperform an SL2H or something like that, but it sounds like it could be a budget-friendly way to get my hands on something I'll really enjoy playing. I don't care if I need to make minor upgrades like hardware swaps, as long as it plays like a Jackson should
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
DK2M>>>>>>>>>>SLSXMG imo.

DK2M's are so fantastic (and one of my favorite guitars ever >.>
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Don't. The old Pro series are FAR better quality.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
DK2's are better.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Your DK2M is easily one the best of the MIJ Jackson's in the last 10 years.

Don't do it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Your DK2M is easily one the best of the MIJ Jackson's in the last 10 years.

SL3?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Well, definitely some different opinions here!

What exactly are the problems w/the SLSXMG? They look good on paper and in photos, but is the playability and feel just not there? Or are there quality control issues?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
It's just not such a good guitar. Not as well constructed out of not so nice woods.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's just not such a good guitar. Not as well constructed out of not so nice woods.

And it's just nowhere near as sexy.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
SL3?

Quote by Tom 1.0
Your DK2M is easily one of the best of the MIJJackson's in the last 10 years.

Don't do it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The word is out, or rather, was out for some time- the DK2M is a lot better than the SLSXMG. But do you want a Soloist more? For the feel and tone of the Soloist? The thick neck (not so much in these imports) and sculpted neck joint?

Look for a pre-owned SL3 or SL3MG instead. That's a better choice.

Or else, keep the DK2M and find a way to get cash for the SLSXMG/SLX. Maybe that guitar will come alive with better electronics and hardware.