This poor guitar has been on the road for 23 years with nearly no maintenance. This week the performer complained that the whammy bar wasn't operating correctly. I tried it out, and he's right: the bar is difficult to move, impossible to operate smoothly, and feels like it is catching. Visual inspection reveals that it is in contact with the pickguard, and furthermore, it appears that the bridge posts may have shifted.

On another strat that I compared it to, the bridge posts are perpendicular. On this strat, the bridge posts appear to be tilted. My guess is that over time, the wood has compressed, allowing the bridge posts to tilt, causing the bridge plate to contact the pickguard, causing whammy bar troubles.

What say you?

Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I think your description is exactly right. With the bridge posts tilted, the entire trem cannot pivot the way it was engineered, causing your woes. The only fix I can think of is completely removing the trem, and seeing if there's a way to reset the bridge posts so that they remain completely solid and upright. I'd hate to resort to throwing some wood glue and a shim into an old beauty like that, but that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yep... cracked wood.

Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Yikes!

Unless the guitarist wouldn't mind converting to a hardtail, I don't know of any fixes. Sorry bud!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I was frightened when I saw the first post, but that second post confirmed it.

I'm sorry, man, but game over. It breaks the heart to see such a beautiful guitar like that in such a condition.

There's no way to fix it so that the whammy still works, without replacing the entire body.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi