First off. I want to share that I am a guitar newbie. I have been learning slowly for about 6 months now. I have a Peavey Delta Blues 210 combo amp that I am very happy with. Recently I have been struggling with the decision of whether to add a Classic 50 212 or 410 to my gear, My concern is that it will prove to be too similar to my Delta Blues and therefore a redundant addition...

That got me thinking about adding an extension cab instead of another amp, and I'll wait to add new amps later when I have gained more experience and can play my instruments better. The cab I'm looking at is a Mesa/Boogie 212 recto cab.

Has anyone here Paired the Delta Blues with the Mesa/Boogie recto before? Please share your experience or your thoughts on this pairing. My amp has a 16ohm 1/4" out.

Thanks for sharing.
So, why exactly do you want a cab?

I have a mesa 212, its a great can. It does have a lot of mid range.

The delta blues has a 115 speaker, so adding a couple 12" speakers will sound good with the 15". It wont make you much louder, but it will help fill up your sound.

I do like the V30's that come in the mesa cabs, but like I said, they are a little too focused on the mid range for my liking. I ended up taking one of the v30's out of my mesa cab, and putting a eminence cannabis rex speaker in there. The c-rex has a tight bottom end, and a smooth top end, so it compliments the v30 well... IMO

Edit: Before I bought my mesa, I went and rented one for a week for like $10, just so I could see what it sounded like with my amps. It's a lot cheaper to do that then to buy something you dont really want...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by red.guitar

The delta blues has a 115 speaker, so adding a couple 12" speakers will sound good with the 15".

My Delta Blues is of the 210 variety. I was hoping a 212 cabinet would give me the option of getting a bigger sound from it. I like deep bass with plenty of low end but still want definition.

I am also curious about using en extension cabinets. If plugged into my combo's 16ohm out, will the extension cab play with the combo's speakers or instead of them? I think it would sond good with the 12s and 10s playing together, complimenting each other.

Also, for further information, I am playing 2 gibson LP studios, one with p-90s and the other with Burstbuckers. I do have some nice fenders, but I think I am a gibson player. My arms and hands (reach) is better suited to the Gibson scale. My Fenders are all on the trading block for more Gibsons...

BTW... All my guitar heroes play Blues. As I learn I will gravitate toward that genre and bluey old rock.
Last edited by bloozy_ at Mar 10, 2013,
10 inchers are more punchy and focused, so you have that acomplished. however, not all speakers are equal, so its not a definitely rule. yeha that could be a good pairing, but..i have to ask what you really want.

4 speakers of anything over 10 inch is a lot of guitar speakers. basically a half stack o dont care if its not all 12s. to your percieved ear, this setup will sound louder. no it will not be redundant. the cab itself will add its own tone, difference speakers, and it will add a ton of body to your sound.

so, if you just playing in your bedroom, well i would say you have overkill. then again, my 40 watt 2x12 is certainly overkill in my apartment.

________

from a long term investment standpoint, a Cab is one of the only peices of gear that might be a long term investment to a guitar player, besides perhaps a guitar / amp...and maybe your actual pedalboard???

so yeah, i agree with that. a mesas are nice cabs, very hard to go wrong with v30s. they sound good in any application aside from players preferences.

does your amp have 2 speaker out jacks? if its only one, you may end up bypassing your onboard 10 inchers and only running the mesa cab.

look on the back where the onboard 10 inch speakers plug in. is there another identical jack there? if so, you need to find the correct ohms adjustment and your golden.

if there is only 1 output....then you have to choose, external cab, or onboard speakers.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Also should point out the mesa 212 is 8ohm...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by ikey_

from a long term investment standpoint, a Cab is one of the only peices of gear that might be a long term investment to a guitar player, besides perhaps a guitar / amp...and maybe your actual pedalboard???

That's everything.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I realized this about 6 months ago. I've now picked up a couple of cabs, and some speakers.

I'm probably gonna keep my coupe combo for home practice, but I will most likely try to buy heads from now on.

It makes practice setup easy. I leave a cab at our jam space so I just gotta bring my head and plug in..
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H