I want a Gibson ES-335. I could afford one, if I wasn't a normal human being who spends his money on rent, food, essentials, etc.

Anyway. The good news is, with my income and impending birthday I feel like treating myself to a new guitar. I have a Stratocaster and a Les Paul. I used to have an Epiphone Riviera in high school. However I sold it to get an amp.

Enter the Epiphone Dot. I don't mind much about aesthetics, so the Dot as opposed to lets say, the Sheraton II would be a no brainer. A used Dot is only $250 around here.

Then comes the crazy part. If I were to get a es-335 wiring harness (New Old Stock), that would run around $100, some Duncan Seth Lovers (If I went with Fralins it would be even more) would run be another $200. Now we are at $550 + tax. So we are over $600 in my brilliant idea.

Am I crazy? Are there better copies out there that I wouldn't have to alter to satisfy my tonal desire? If I am going to make that many alterations should I just save my money and try to find a deal on a Gibson? Do you folks have any ideas?

Thanks

TL;DR : Epiphone Dot or Different Copy (Please Name)
You don't need to get the 335 wiring harness, get some CTS pots and a Sprague Ornge drop .022uf caps and you will have a great set of controls.

The pickups are all prefrence
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wirsteve
Wow that would save me a ton of money.

Yeah $50+

The Pickups are gonna cost the most, but you can get regular SD pickups for $75ish each and Dimarzio for $65+ Thats where I'd look first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah have fun wiring that in... Better you than me! On a hollowbody add 10 hours onto the time it usually takes to do the same thing on a solid body
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Yeah have fun wiring that in... Better you than me! On a hollowbody add 10 hours onto the time it usually takes to do the same thing on a solid body

Not really, DOT's are pretty easy to wire up. Wire your controls and when you remove all the othe controls tie fishing-line/string to each pot shaft and switch shaft.
The retie those corisponding strings to the new pots and pull them back through pretty easy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not sure about the wiring stuff, but i have a dot and i love it. My one had some dodgy controls when i got it, but i got it fixed for £20.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
There are good tutorials on YouTube for wiring new electronics into a Dot (or similar semihollow). Not too hard, just tedious and time consuming.
OffsetOffset
Directed @ donender. When you said you got a Dot and it had 'dodgy controls' could you elaborate? Scratchy pots? Cutting in and out?