ive been playing for quite some time now, however i tend to loose my tempo when soloing. I think thats because ive never used a metronome. would an online metronome work fine? can you recommend any?

Moreover how do i use a metronome like 1 beat = 1 note or when strumming 1beat=1 chord?
You know when you're bobbing your head or stampin' your foot whilst listening to some music. That's the beat. That's the metronome click. You put the click to that speed. Hope that helps.
Do you know what time signature or whole/half/quarter/eighth etc. note means?

Most of the time your metronome will play a quarter note beat (1 beat = 1 quarter note). And most of the songs are in 4/4 time signature so there are four beats per bar, those are quarters. For example the most basic drum beat (bass - snare - bass - snare) is quarter notes all the time.

If you don't understand what I said, you should learn a bit about it. It's very important if you want to stay in time when you play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Lavatain
You know when you're bobbing your head or stampin' your foot whilst listening to some music. That's the beat. That's the metronome click. You put the click to that speed. Hope that helps.

This, tap your foot, it can be hard with certain stuff ,but keep at it. download a met
use a real metronome to avoid software hiccups and internet outages. They're cheap.

And you can use it for whatever pulse you want. If you're playing fast stuff you might set the click to play every 8th note instead of just on the beat while you work up to speed.
Quote by danyal92

Moreover how do i use a metronome like 1 beat = 1 note or when strumming 1beat=1 chord?

That's how you start, until you can consistently do it perfectly. But then you start reducing the number of beats the metronome gives you.

Good explanation of the idea is given here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1fhVLVF_4

But I recommend you start with doing scales rather than grooves or licks.