Hi,I'm about to install pickups/wiring for the first time (EVH Frankenstein pickup). I'm using the diagram below but I'm confused as to where the green and bare wire go,the picture below just has them laying anywhere. Also,I put some copper tape from Stewmac in the cavity,do I have to ground it to the pot as well?

Last edited by bodine1231 at Mar 10, 2013,
Edit:

Simply twist the exposed end of the green and the bare wire together and solder them to the back of the volume pot (which is usually where all your grounds are soldered together to form a star ground).
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Mar 10, 2013,
Thanks,and do I need to solder a wire from the copper shielding to the pot as well? Do all of these need to be separate solder? Also,the little open tabs where the wires go on the pot,do I twist those in there or is that a solder point too?
Last edited by bodine1231 at Mar 10, 2013,
It can be one big solder joint or many, it doesn't really matter since the point is to get the wires attached to the metal part of the pot. I'm not sure what you mean by copper shielding, are you talking about the metallic sheet that covers the inside of the control cavity? If you mean that, then no.

You should solder the wires to the tabs in the pot, as they might not make contact by just twisting them, but really, even if it worked, the chances of the wires becoming undone with time and movement are just too high to be worth it.

If I'm not answering your questions, or you still have doubts, please don't hesitate to ask again.
The green and bare wires are both being connected to ground, which in this case (and in the case of most guitars) is easily done on the back of the pot's outer casing. In other words, solder the green and bare wires to the back of the pot. That's all they need to do.

As for the copper shielding tape, make sure that it is all connected properly (some tape lets an electrical current go through the sticky side, some doesn't; if yours doesn't then you need to solder each piece of tape to the others) and then run one wire from the tape collectively to a ground (i.e. the back of the pot again). Depending on the type of guitar it is you may find that the tape already connects with the ground via the pot shaft or pickup mounting, but having a wire going from the shielding to the ground can't hurt and ensures that connection is made properly.

Bear in mind that shielding is of no use unless it goes around all the electrical componants. A lot of people think that just putting one pieces around the pickup hole on a pickguard or on the cavity plate on a rear-routed guitar is enough; it isn't, that sort of 'shielding' does nothing. You need to make sure the shielding follows all the way around the pickups, pots and jack, all the shielding is connected properly and it is grounded.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 10, 2013,
Ok the Franktein pickup only has one wire,it doesnt have any colors,so just solder that one to the pot?
The center wire is hot, braided shield is ground...look in the lower right corner of the diagram you posted above.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Bodine, how's the pup sound? Thinking of using one in my next build.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
StewMac copper tape conducts through the sticky part.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
i want learn guiter because i want to write about guiter in my website. so any one can help me?