Poll: According to you, accordions are?
Poll Options
View poll results: According to you, accordions are?
Awful
13 19%
Awesome
55 81%
Voters: 68.
Page 1 of 2
Few instruments are as polarizing as the accordion. Some (like myself) love the shit out of these things, while others feel they are vagina-repellant.

I bought an Russian accordion off my friend yesterday and I've been learning my way around it today. They're actually pretty fuckin' difficult to play. Mine is the kind with no keyboard keys, so memorizing the pitches is a chore and a half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSs_Ef4L94

Anyways, how do you feel about accordions?
Check out my band Disturbed
I love them cause they're funny and quirky.

I don't like how they sound one bit though. I'd rather listen to a blues harp
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have one, but I can't hardly play it.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
There was a street musican in Munich that played the accordion. I listened to him for a good 45 minutes before my friends go tired and we had to move on. I liked it ever since.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Like violins, ukulele, harmonica, mandolin etc. the accordion has a time and a place where it sounds good.
I don't really like them in traditional Scottish music, but they're sometimes cool in punk and metal bands.
Quote by Hydra150
I don't really like them in traditional Scottish music, but they're sometimes cool in punk and metal bands.

Clearly you need a taste of Dick Black
Quote by raoooos

Other way around
I have one

I really have no idea how to play it, but it's fun to just mess around with
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by StewieSwan
They're actually pretty fuckin' difficult to play.

Never would have seen that coming
Quote by raoooos

I don't fancy googling those two words next to each other, but I feel that ceilidh music for example would be better if it had a guitarist and violin instead of an accordion. Theres just something about the tone that I don't like, particularly in the context of cheesy folk music. It's not too bad, I get used to that unique sound after a song or two I guess.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 10, 2013,
Accordions are trendy this days with, Beirut utilizes it well.

And I never played a bayan accordion like yours, they look damn tricky.
I like the accordion playing traditional music. I thought the video you linked was absolutely awful.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Maybe it's cause of where I live but I don't like accordions. Reminds me of my horrible neighbors blasting mariachi music at odd hours of the night/morning.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Andrea55
Maybe it's cause of where I live but I don't like accordions. Reminds me of my horrible neighbors blasting mariachi music at odd hours of the night/morning.

What do accordions have to do with horrible mariachi music?
Quote by StewieSwan

They sometimes use accordions in that music.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by StewieSwan

I think they mean ranchera music.
#DTWD
They're awesome, wish I could play it
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Mariachi music doesn't use accordions. That's norteno.

Basics of music in Mexico:

Norteno (big accordion and bass sound, sounds like polka):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLD1ATwFvY

Mariachi (violins, trumpets, guitar, weird costumes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBXBGSBqDc

Banda (lots of brass):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsA17f8CDk
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
My grandfather plays. I think it sounds nice. If someone's playing an accordion on the train or on the street I give them money.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I was learning on my girlfriends accordion until this button got stuck, making it unplayable.

shit is so fun though

Folk punk goodness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQmI31Xffi8
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Last edited by DempseyPunk at Mar 12, 2013,
Hell yeah accordions. Some conjunto is good shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvllyO3GTdc

Also, to whoever posted that banda music; Banda is awful.
The accordion is one of mankind's ten greatest achievements.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by The Madcap

Also, to whoever posted that banda music; Banda is awful.

Yes. It sounds cheesy as hell and I've been way over exposed to it.

But I don't like how mariachi music is a catch-all for a lot of Mexican music. Goddam gringos...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Yes. It sounds cheesy as hell and I've been way over exposed to it.

But I don't like how mariachi music is a catch-all for a lot of Mexican music. Goddam gringos...
Yeah, the stereotype is annoying especially "La Cucaracha."

But Banda is one of the few genres where I truly cannot understand the appeal. Literally every genre or style of music I've ever heard, even if I hate it, I can still think "I can see what somebody would like about this." Everything except Banda.
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, the stereotype is annoying especially "La Cucaracha."

But Banda is one of the few genres where I truly cannot understand the appeal. Literally every genre or style of music I've ever heard, even if I hate it, I can still think "I can see what somebody would like about this." Everything except Banda.

To be fair, mexican music is about as rich as the people.
Page 1 of 2