I've been looking to get some new pickups for my ibanez rg7321 7 string guitar. I mainly play hardcore music and have been getting into djent too. I would prefer passive to get passive pickups.

any recommendations??
DiMarzio D Activator 7s. Lots of mids with not a lot of bass. Basically djent EQ.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Obligatory: what's your amp? Dare I point out that your profile lists a Spider IV?

If that is your current amp, a pickup change won't do much for you. A Spider sounds more or less the same no matter what particular pickup you use; one overpowered ceramic 7-string humbucker will sound like every other overpower ceramic 7-string humbucker.

That said, for pickups I'd go for a DM Tone Zone 7 or SD Duncan Distortion (7-string version, obviously). Both are all about the low-mids with enough brightness to stop them from just becoming an inaudible muddy mess.

Inb4 somebody says Bare Knuckle just for the sake of saying Bare Knuckle.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
hey, Bare knuckle! oh. Mr. Fibble, yeah....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Right, the pickups won't change much about the sound then. What's wrong with the sound to your ears?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Bareknuckle are fantastic pickups, I don't own any on my guitars but the other guitarist in my band swears by them and his guitars sound beautiful, they deserve the amazing reputation they have. As for the OP, you need a new amp if you're using a Spider, pickups not gonna change anything.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by MrFlibble
Obligatory: what's your amp? Dare I point out that your profile lists a Spider IV?

If that is your current amp, a pickup change won't do much for you. A Spider sounds more or less the same no matter what particular pickup you use; one overpowered ceramic 7-string humbucker will sound like every other overpower ceramic 7-string humbucker.

That said, for pickups I'd go for a DM Tone Zone 7 or SD Duncan Distortion (7-string version, obviously). Both are all about the low-mids with enough brightness to stop them from just becoming an inaudible muddy mess.

Inb4 somebody says Bare Knuckle just for the sake of saying Bare Knuckle.

The tone zone and distortion aren't very tight pickups though, and though I haven't played a distortion, I have a love affair with tone zones, and they definitely aren't what I think about when I think djent. Don't want to pick a fight just throwing my experience out there.

TS, while I understand you wanted to upgrade what you can, upgrading pickups with that amp may not be a good idea. One, I wouldn't say that there will be no change, but the difference in sound will probably be very underwhelming using the spider given what it is. Two, if you plan on upgrading your amp anytime soon, you may want to wait and see what characteristics you want to tweak based on that amp, not this one.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by drgoogs32
alright thanks all and yeah i do still use the spider for now

then don't bother with pickups.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by dementiacaptain
The tone zone and distortion aren't very tight pickups though, and though I haven't played a distortion, I have a love affair with tone zones, and they definitely aren't what I think about when I think djent. Don't want to pick a fight just throwing my experience out there.
Sounds like you haven't used the 7-string versions. They're really not the same as the 6-string models. EMG and Seymour Duncan active pickups are pretty much the only pickups around where the 6-string and 7-string versions sound the same when playing the same thing; every DiMarzio and every passive SD and EMG 7-string pickup sounds considerably different to the 6-string model it is named after*. The Tone Zone, for example, uses an alnico 5 magnet for the 6-string model but a ceramic magnet for the 7-string model, along with closer-matched coils, which give it a tighter response with more compressed dynamics, and more low-mids. Essentially, the Tone Zone 7 is an Evolution 7 with more impact on the lowest two strings; it's far, far tighter than the 6-string model and for djent where you want that big low-mid smack, it's an almost perfect design.

*Full disclosure: I'm generalising here, as I've yet to try the DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7, Blaze, D Sonic 7, Seymour Duncan '59 7, 59/Custom Hybrid 7 and Invader 7. Though looking at their specs and how none of them are wound the same way as their 6-string versions, I think it's safe to say that those six will also sound just as significantly different as other 6/7 string pickups. The sheer mechanical difference between 6 and 7 string pickups means that even if you do wind them the same and use the same magnets, you get a different sound.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The one thing i don't like with my sound is it is too bassy and muddy sounding no matter what i do with the eq and distortion =/. I looked at bareknuckles but they are quiet pricy
That's your amp. Try something a bit better, maybe a used Peavey 6505+ 112.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MrFlibble
Sounds like you haven't used the 7-string versions. They're really not the same as the 6-string models. EMG and Seymour Duncan active pickups are pretty much the only pickups around where the 6-string and 7-string versions sound the same when playing the same thing; every DiMarzio and every passive SD and EMG 7-string pickup sounds considerably different to the 6-string model it is named after*. The Tone Zone, for example, uses an alnico 5 magnet for the 6-string model but a ceramic magnet for the 7-string model, along with closer-matched coils, which give it a tighter response with more compressed dynamics, and more low-mids. Essentially, the Tone Zone 7 is an Evolution 7 with more impact on the lowest two strings; it's far, far tighter than the 6-string model and for djent where you want that big low-mid smack, it's an almost perfect design.

*Full disclosure: I'm generalising here, as I've yet to try the DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7, Blaze, D Sonic 7, Seymour Duncan '59 7, 59/Custom Hybrid 7 and Invader 7. Though looking at their specs and how none of them are wound the same way as their 6-string versions, I think it's safe to say that those six will also sound just as significantly different as other 6/7 string pickups. The sheer mechanical difference between 6 and 7 string pickups means that even if you do wind them the same and use the same magnets, you get a different sound.

Oh I didn't realize they were so different, but that explains a lot.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Hate to just be another asshat that tells you to get another amp. But if that is what you are describing as what is wrong with your tone, your ears aren't broken. I second the 6505+ 112. They are going used all the time now and that'll get you in the territory you need, man. You'd be wasting money at the moment putting $100+ into new pickups.

Best of luck.