Page 1 of 2
When you're talking about movies and stuff, do you get annoyed when people use the word "film" ? Like, is there a context where it should be used and a context where it shouldn't?

I say "movie" instead of "film," what about you?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Film is the word in Dutch. If I speak English I will always use the word movie.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I don't care.

I say movie, but film doesn't bother me. Not that I ever hear anyone use film.
I didn't even know people get bothered by that word. Lolz.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I use "movie" to refer to a particular production, "film" to refer to the category as a whole.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Neo Evil11
Film is the word in Dutch. If I speak English I will always use the word movie.

Film is the word in English. Movie is American English.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'll use film when referring to the art form, and movie when referring to a single piece.

Usually, at least.
Quote by Trowzaa

When I pressed "post" I knew this was coming. American English is the language of movies. So I will stick to saying movies.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by sloppyjoe24
I'm a film student.
It doesn't matter.

In sequence, these are correct statements.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Trowzaa

Well, it is an American artform after all, so it makes sense that "movie" would be the correct terminology.
Quote by bradulator
Well, it is an American artform after all, so it makes sense that "movie" would be the correct terminology.

A lot of the technology was invented in America but the saying film as an art form is American is a big stretch. I think the French, specifically George Melies, have a stronger claim to being the first to use film to tell stories. Not saying this is 100% true though, just the direction I lean in.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'll use film when referring to the art form, and movie when referring to a single piece.

Usually, at least.

This is what I usually do.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Joshua Garcia

I didn't even know people get bothered by that word. Lolz.

Quote by StewieSwan
Who the **** cares?

These two.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by bradulator

How does it being "American" make that the correct term?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't care, and interchange between the two words at random. Ever heard of a synonym?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by BelowTheSun
A lot of the technology was invented in America but the saying film as an art form is American is a big stretch. I think the French, specifically George Melies, have a stronger claim to being the first to use film to tell stories. Not saying this is 100% true though, just the direction I lean in.

I'm just speaking in terms of how the popularization of movies as mass entertainment is a fairly American innovation, given that the Jazz Singer was made in the US, along with all of the major production companies.

Quote by rockingamer2
How does it being "American" make that the correct term?

That's how society works.
Quote by bradulator
I'm just speaking in terms of how the popularization of movies as mass entertainment is a fairly American innovation
Michael Bay... You're opinion is invalid.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Michael Bay... You're opinion is invalid.

The film entertainment industry is an American invention though, he's right. The status of film as art, the films Hollywood makes as art, etc. aside, Hollywood has dominated the industry since it began.
I use whichever one fits the sentence better.

'Wanna go see a film?'
'Nahh, I'm already seeing a movie with Jo'
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
its like calling an album a record, when it probably wasnt listened to on record. keep to reality
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
its like calling an album a record, when it probably wasnt listened to on record. keep to reality

except you got it backwards, cuz "record" means it is the product of the act of recording, whereas "album" refers (originally) to a series of disc recordings, the kind of technology that was superseded in the '60s.
i give less than 1/8th of a shit about movies in general

this may be an abnormally low number, now that i think about it
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
if a record was the result of recording, nothing to do with a vinyl record, then we would say a film is the result of filming, nothing to do with a... plastic film roll?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
if a record was the result of recording, nothing to do with a vinyl record, then we would say a film is the result of filming, nothing to do with a... plastic film roll?

naturally we should just call movies/films "records." they are the product of recording, after all.
I say both. I would say if i am conversing with a fellow Brit, it sounds more natural for them to say "film", but it doesn't bother me too much if they use the alternative.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I say "piece."

As in, let's go see the new Spielberg piece.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
So what do you guys think of that Chicken Run film.
Ain't that a great film?
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Page 1 of 2