Page 1 of 2
I have been all over the internet and every place I go I read how horrible the mg30 is, i read horrible reviews too but when i saw a demo on youtube it sounded pretty good I thought, it even has a fx loop.so whats makes the mg30 was bad? I'm myself have decided to get either the mg30 or a cube 40xl so if there is a reason for everyone saying its junk, then it would help me make a better decision
It's a solid state starter amp that is overpriced and coasting off the Marshall name recognition.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
It's a solid state starter amp that is overpriced and coasting off the Marshall name recognition.

This dude is selling a 6505 for an MG or cube. If I remember correctly.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
yes iam because I live in an apartment and the 6505 has way too much power for an apartment so im trying to put together the highest quality distortion in a small package.But i also want to run my mxr 10 band and without a loop nits going to be ineffective
You already have the 10 band?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Turn down the volume. The volume knob is there to adjust the volume. What's the problem?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by NakedInTheRain
get a line 6 pod and use headphones.

x5000. POd HD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If you like it, just buy it. Screw what a bunch of people you don't know and will never meet say on some forum. The reviews on MF and GC are almost all positive. You might get it and absolutely love it.

With that said...you've been warned. So if you get it and love it, come back here and tell us how much you like it and what you like about it. And if you get it and end up disliking it, come back and say, "yeah you were right...going with the (something else) that you guys originally recommended."

Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by jamesdolecek
not yet...i actually am considering a line 6 ux1 so i can do some recording all under one roof

Don't get the UX1. Get something like a Presonus or M-Audio USB interface and either buy Podfarm or use free VSTs. The best option though if you want to go the modelling route though is a Pod HD which has better modelling and doubles as an interface
$500 new but you can easily get $75 off of that. And you can find them for even less used.

And though it's a very good option be prepared for some "paralysis by analysis" if you aren't used to those type of things. It's great but it's also a tweakers dream. I found myself messing with settings and not doing nearly enough actual PLAYING guitar.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Mar 11, 2013,
guys thanks, i started looking at gc used gear...lot of good deals to be had im taking that route.....now i dont have a mxr 10 band yet but i want one for better tone shapping...but will it be effective in front of an amp?
Get a decent amp where you won't need one to get the tone you are after....

or get a POD and you wouldn't need one....

Don't get the 10band before you get an amp. I can seriously lower your options.

What type of music are you after?

If you can swing a DSL401 they have a master volume, which makes getting a good tone at low volume much easier. It's not voiced like a 6505 though. Less gain and more JCM sounding if you know what I mean.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Deadpool_25
If you like it, just buy it. Screw what a bunch of people you don't know and will never meet say on some forum. The reviews on MF and GC are almost all positive. You might get it and absolutely love it.

You do realize that you are a part of that bunch right?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Mar 11, 2013,
The volume knob controls the ...
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
now that i think about it, my 6505 has not sounded that great from day 1, then last week the amp went bad, i can barely hear anything with it cranked but the clean channel is fine and i hear static....so i wonder if the amp was bad from that 1. I remember the old jcm900's how warm the distortion sounded, but it never sounded like a $600 amp so maybe it was bad al along. does it sound like this could be the case? im going to send it back and get it exchanged and hopefully this fixes my issue
Quote by jamesdolecek
now that i think about it, my 6505 has not sounded that great from day 1, then last week the amp went bad, i can barely hear anything with it cranked but the clean channel is fine and i hear static....so i wonder if the amp was bad from that 1. I remember the old jcm900's how warm the distortion sounded, but it never sounded like a $600 amp so maybe it was bad al along. does it sound like this could be the case? im going to send it back and get it exchanged and hopefully this fixes my issue

uh? So how new or old is this amp? You were about to sell it to fund an MG and now you say you can return it?

You never give full details..... and your description of the problem is jumbled. Can you go into more detail and make sense? Is the clean channel A or OK or do you have a hum with it as well?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by cdr_salamander

Absolutely. Advice is just that...advice. He can follow it if he wants to, but has to make his own decision. But like I said...he's been warned.

You can tell kids the stove is hot; they can hear it dozens of times. But some kids just gotta put their hand on the burner anyway.

Not a great analogy because he MIGHT actually like the MG...maybe...

Guitars

Amps
Quote by Deadpool_25
Absolutely. Advice is just that...advice. He can follow it if he wants to, but has to make his own decision. But like I said...he's been warned.

You can tell kids the stove it hot. They can hear it dozens of times. But some kids just gotta put their hand on the burner anyway.

Not a great analogy because he MIGHT actually like the MG...maybe...

I feel homie here is going to sell his 6505 for some shit amp with absolutely no resale value and be out a bunch of money for some garbage SS amp that he will be bored with in 2 weeks. Not to mention he will have cool 10band MXR to stick in front of it.

Talk about throwing money away.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by cdr_salamander

I agree with him. They can't be that bad as Zakk Wylde uses one for a practice amp.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Oh my bad. A reknown musician uses one to practice on.

Might as well be boutique.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by R45VT
I feel homie here is going to sell his 6505 for some shit amp with absolutely no resale value and be out a bunch of money for some garbage SS amp that he will be bored with in 2 weeks. Not to mention he will have cool 10band MXR to stick in front of it.

Talk about throwing money away.

It's looking like that might happen.

But it's just money, right? He can always buy another 6505 or something else better than the MG. A Spider maybe.
Guitars

Amps
TS, Zakk Wylde does an MG.

Pure, crushing overdrive.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Deadpool_25
It's looking like that might happen.

But it's just money, right? He can always buy another 6505 or something else better than the MG. A Spider maybe.

It's his money.

Not mine...

TS- have you thought a Vypyr - a 30w SS or a 60W tube?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i have had it less than a month...guess a big part of it was i wanted a tube amp for as long as i can remember and i got this thing and it was nothing but a huge disappointment, all this hype on tube amps i never heard from the first day i got this amp
Quote by jamesdolecek
i have had it less than a month...guess a big part of it was i wanted a tube amp for as long as i can remember and i got this thing and it was nothing but a huge disappointment, all this hype on tube amps i never heard from the first day i got this amp

Where did you get it from ? If you can still return it than do that.

What is up with the lead channel? From the sound of it a preamp tube might be dead.

Also- just out of curiosity- how long have you been playing and what amp did you have before it? Not everyone likes the same thing, so don't feel you have to like it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Let's use logic here.

1. You have a 6505, evidently it has some problem and produces static, also you ?maybe? can return it.

2. You have read on countless forums that the MG is awful, yet because of a random YouTube video you think "hey this could be good".

(Insert Jeopardy theme music)

That's right Alex I wanna return it!!
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
so im learning and 2. im inexperienced....i have pretty much had "your an idiot" spelled to me in diffferent ways.my bad
More tone comes from the playing than from the amp, man. Keep practicing. The 6505 is a beast at high gain. Not as beastly at very low volumes, but still good at least it was in the store for me. If it was a disappointment, the MG will PROBABLY be even more of one, but that's a choice you gotta make for yourself. But there's a reason you've been doing all this research, right? And what does the research say?

If you want to try the MG, try it. If you don't like the 6505, then get rid of it. But don't be surprised if you end up spending more money in the not-so-long run.
Guitars

Amps
before this i used a zoom g3 thru monitors but i remember in the past playing a friends jcm900 and i remember how warm and killer his distortion was...thats the sound i was going for
can you recommend a good low volume amp that i can achieve killer distortion? I was also lookin at the cube 40xl.....im just trying to get some killer distortion at bedroon levels.what would you suggest?
Quote by jamesdolecek
before this i used a zoom g3 thru monitors but i remember in the past playing a friends jcm900 and i remember how warm and killer his distortion was...thats the sound i was going for

Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't think you mentioned that originally. That's relevant info.
Guitars

Amps
Quote by jamesdolecek

Hmmm MG is not a JCM900.

You can get a combo JCM900.

Maybe a DSL401- which as I said has a master volume so you can get good tone at nearly any level. Built in reverb, clean , OD1 (overdrive), and OD2 (distortion).

And buddy- I have made plenty of bone head moves, as I am sure everyone else has. The best mistake is one you don't make yourself.

Either get the 6505 fixed or return it. If you keep it maybe we can help you get the sounds you are after as its a killer amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 11, 2013,
my research has told me the mg series can kiss my ass lol.....now whats your opinion on the cube 40xl? will it give me killer distortion? if not will adding a mxr fullbore give me what im looking for?
Quote by jamesdolecek
my research has told me the mg series can kiss my ass lol.....now whats your opinion on the cube 40xl? will it give me killer distortion? if not will adding a mxr fullbore give me what im looking for?

no. no. and no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epBgcpcYRtI
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by jamesdolecek
can you recommend a good low volume amp that i can achieve killer distortion? I was also lookin at the cube 40xl.....im just trying to get some killer distortion at bedroon levels.what would you suggest?

I would recommend the Cube over the MG any day. The distortion sounds fairly decent on them.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Page 1 of 2