Ok so,

Me and my band have been getting into self recording lately, but we want it to actually be decent quality. I bought a Shure SM-57, and I know its a real one, but yet I can't seem to get high quality recordings of my amp mic'd up. I know how to do it, and what the volume should be like on my amp, etc, and it sounds decent, just not as I'd expect.

Now heres the problem, or atleast I'm pretty sure: I don't have a real mic pre-amp. What we've been doing is plugging the mic into a little guitar multi processor (Digitech RP55), with the amp simulation off (so theres a little reverb, EQ settings, etc there, and of course, it adds power to the signal so that I actually get something in the computer). That then goes to Logic Pro 9 on my iMac.

So, will having a REAL USB Audio interface for the mic get me the kind of recorded guitar sounds I want? Every single demo of an SM-57 i've heard sounds great to me, and thats all I want.
Well, you do indeed need a preamp. Especially for a 57 which needs a lot of clean gain, albeit not as much on a cab.

I'm curious as to how you're getting the signal in right now.... quarter inch to eighth inch adapter to mic in on the computer? There's a good bit of your problem. Even if you have a mac, which you do, the onboard audio card isn't meant for recording. I actually used mine for a long time with a radio shack sm58 knock off and made some pretty good recordings. Still, I improved immensely when I finally got an interface.

Getting the sound you want requires experience, a lot of it. But having a USB interface, especially one of DECENT (doesn't have to be high) quality will give you the tools to get the sound you're after.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Very Useful Interfaces are. Plugin guitar directly you can. Check Fearedse's tutorials on YouTube you should.
^cant tell if adbot, really bad at English or trying to be Yoda.

Anyways, Scarlett 2i4. That's all you need and you'll be set.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Yeah, you're not going to get very far using an RP55 as your preamp.

More importantly, are your cabinet and amp up to scratch, as well as your mic placement technique? You'll never get good tone with a crappy cab or dodgy placement.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Well, you do indeed need a preamp. Especially for a 57 which needs a lot of clean gain, albeit not as much on a cab.

I'm curious as to how you're getting the signal in right now.... quarter inch to eighth inch adapter to mic in on the computer? There's a good bit of your problem. Even if you have a mac, which you do, the onboard audio card isn't meant for recording. I actually used mine for a long time with a radio shack sm58 knock off and made some pretty good recordings. Still, I improved immensely when I finally got an interface.

Getting the sound you want requires experience, a lot of it. But having a USB interface, especially one of DECENT (doesn't have to be high) quality will give you the tools to get the sound you're after.

The mic is running into an unbalanced input into the guitar pedal. then the output of the guitar pedal is running to the computer with a cheap 1/4 inch to USB cable (USB goes into the computer obviously)

I'm using a Marshall Lead 100 mosfet head, plugged in to an MG412A cab. Not the greatest stuff, but I like the tone I hear when I play it, and I've heard the MG cabs aren't even too bad even compared to 1960 cab's, atleast when it comes to mic'd up sound.

I ordered a cheap ($50 bucks or so) Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB "Mixer/audio interface" which has a mic pre-amp but can record multiple tracks, output to a computer via USB.

I'll see what kind of sounds I get when it arrives. If it's nothing good, I'll just return it, and either keep trying more equipment, or just decide to go record with some one else (we have friends who can do this stuff at as low as $50 a song, with quality decent enough that you would listen to it and think it was at least semi-professionally done)
Quote by campster68
I ordered a cheap ($50 bucks or so) Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB "Mixer/audio interface" which has a mic pre-amp but can record multiple tracks, output to a computer via USB.

Don't open it and return it. They're terrible when it comes to the USB input. Driver issues & terrible AD conversion
Quote by lockwolf
Don't open it and return it. They're terrible when it comes to the USB input. Driver issues & terrible AD conversion

I had another xenyx mixer before and liked it... Plus it was used I only paid like 40 bucks for it.

I'll just see how it is
Quote by lockwolf

This. You will see 0 improvement over your current st up. You need a real sound card to convert the signal from analog to digital and to replace your computer's card.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
A while back when my soundcard died I borrowed a Line 6 Toneport UX2 for a while, it did a fine job of things to be fair, mic'ed up my amp with a Shure SM7B. The toneport obviously isn't top end stuff but it's certaintly more than capable for what you want and there is no reason why you would not be able to get a fantastic sound from your SM57. Not to mention that it can double up as a modeller with the software that comes with it, you can plug your guitar straight in.

Saying that, I have no idea how much they cost!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by campster68
I had another xenyx mixer before and liked it... Plus it was used I only paid like 40 bucks for it.

I'll just see how it is

As a mixer, they're fine units. Expecting it to do anything outside the mixer part well is asking for a miracle.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mu5s7zruyea27se/sm57xenyxsample.mp3

Here's a sample I recorded today with the SM57 plugged into the mixer, then the mixer plugged into USB on my iMac and running through garageband (I have logic pro 9 but something's been wrong with my computer, and it won't work with my account lately, and I don't have the password to get on the account it does work on).

This is raw, un-EQ'd, untouched audio from the mixer. only thing done was the 2 band eq on the mixer's input had the Low on about 6 and the high on about 4, considering my amp settings are pretty trebly.

Don't mind the playing either, it's a little bit of crazy train but that chorus fill has always been a problem for me, haha
Rather harsh and nasty sounding (and terribly out of tune), but that's not bad. The MG412 is a pretty crappy cab but if you get the mic placement right you should see usable results.

I still think the Xenyx mixer was a mistake, for the reasons everyone else mentioned.

only thing done was the 2 band eq on the mixer's input had the Low on about 6 and the high on about 4, considering my amp settings are pretty trebly.

No no no! Get your mic placement right instead of using corrective EQ.
... also get the amp sound right (if you know it's trebly, then fix it!) rather than relying on corrective EQ.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ LOL

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well, after doing some more research I officially regret having ordered that behringer mixer. I'm an idiot, I don't know why I just didn't get an interface in the firstplace :sigh: . Anyways I'll probably just return this thing, and I think I'm looking at getting a presonus audiobox. A guy I know has one of those and we recorded a song with him, going direct on on the guitar to amp simulation, heres that for a sample:

http://factorspoppunk.bandcamp.com

And about the tone in that clip before with the SM57 and the behringer mixer, I like the tone I hear in person, but it sounds like ass in all the recordings. but thats probably because of the use of a mixer instead of an audio interface.. bad choice on my part.

Thanks everyone for all the help though, anyways
Now you've (hopefully) learned we know what we're saying when we say don't get something, I'm going to suggest you don't get the audiobox either. It's well known for having buggy as hell drivers, which will make it a pain to set up and probably a pain to use continually as well.
Quote by chatterbox272
Now you've (hopefully) learned we know what we're saying when we say don't get something, I'm going to suggest you don't get the audiobox either. It's well known for having buggy as hell drivers, which will make it a pain to set up and probably a pain to use continually as well.

I guess I wont get an audiobox then, either! haha.

As I said thats what was used in that other recording I posted ^ and I was happy with that, But i'll look around at other interfaces then
@campster:
Get the Scarlett 2i4. Someone already suggested it, and there's a damn good reason for suggesting that. It's the best quality audio interface for less than $500. You could probably buy a used or refurbished one on eBay for $100.

Or you could buy it new for less than $200.
Hm. I've never had a problem with the audiobox. I use a mac, so it could very well be buggy with a PC but the one I had for mobile/live stuff before I got a duet never failed me once. It was a bit sterile though.

The focusrite scarlett 2i2 is probably the most overly recommended interface on this site. That's not without reason though, it's pretty good for the price! I think it sounds negligibly better than the audiobox but it's got some nice features.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
@campster:
Get the Scarlett 2i4. Someone already suggested it, and there's a damn good reason for suggesting that. It's the best quality audio interface for less than $500. You could probably buy a used or refurbished one on eBay for $100.

Or you could buy it new for less than $200.

Used apogee duet, Motu 4pre. No. There are better interfaces by far. FOR 200 dollars? It's the best I've played around with.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 19, 2013,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Hm. I've never had a problem with the audiobox. I use a mac, so it could very well be buggy with a PC but the one I had for mobile/live stuff before I got a duet never failed me once. It was a bit sterile though.

The focusrite scarlett 2i2 is probably the most overly recommended interface on this site. That's not without reason though, it's pretty good for the price! I think it sounds negligibly better than the audiobox but it's got some nice features.

The problems with the Audiobox typically stem from driver issues, which is more a Windows problem. Also we generally steer clear of the 2i2, it doesn't like instrument DIs and lacks a pad so it clips on nothing.
I guess it depends on what you're using it for. Which is why it's good that you say that. I use mics basically 100% of the time so the DI doesn't mean much to me. I've also had to use a pad for recording probably once in the last 2 years so I generally don't care.

EDIT: Whoops I meant the 2i4 anyway since that's what I've used.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 19, 2013,