Heyo!

So here's a quick thing for ya guys. I recently got some new studio equipment in preperation for my bands ep recordings coming up. I also took a good couple days to re-setup and treat my room for the mixing stages.

I did a little test here and i need some feedback. I RE-recorded a song by the band marianas trench (they're like a punk pop band from canada). I only recorded till the second verse cuz i didn't thnk it was neccisary to do it all for a little sound test.

Below i'm gonna link the original song and then my cover mix on soundcloud. If you could please take a quick listen and tell me how it's sounding, where it's lacking, where i'm on the right path, I'd greatly appreciate it.

We're all adults here....well i guess not technically, but i REALLY appreciate the critism. i won't get any better at this if people just take a listen and shoo me away with a "Yeah, it sounds good". Lemme know where i'm not fullfilling!!!!

SIDENOTE: There IS a noticable change in the timbre of the vocals leading into the prechorus because they were seperate takes and my singer moved spots away from the mic. In our real stuff i'm going to spend a ton of time making sure the mic distance is consistent throughout, and there there's minimal cuts. I just had to drag my singer in here to record this for me real quick before bed annnnnndddd she didn't want to stay up that late i guess.

Thanks! and sorry for the long novel here. Cheers!

BTW the original is a dude singin. Mine is a chick singin....soooo yeahhhh try to overlook that.

LINKS:

ORIGINAL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zotSNtqORaQ

MY COVER: https://soundcloud.com/aaron-mattson/sing-sing-rough-mix-1/s-tfhO4
GEAR

Schecter Synyster Custom w/ EVH D TUNA
Peavey EVH Wolfgang w/ EVH D TUNA
Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Marshall Valvestate AVT 50h Head
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Female Fronted Pop/Punk Right HERE For Ya!
Last edited by rhoadsboy815 at Mar 11, 2013,
Sorry i had a mess up with the sound cloud link. Fixed now!
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Vocals are very nice and clean, but they pop out a bit too much compared to the rest of the track; try to bring out the guitars just a tiny bit more. Sounds like you're on the right path, anyway. Cheers!
I don't have a signature
Thanks dankhus!

For the vocals suggestion. Would you think a bit more compression on the vocals would fix that?
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Yeah I second that vocals comment. The snare in yours gets lost sometimes too, where as it really snaps through in the original. Maybe give it a little bit of a high shelf EQ to bring out some of those crisp cracking noises
I will try that out. thanks for lettin me know roller.
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Ok, the vocals are the primary issue - they're really thin and weak sounding, what mic did you use? EDIT: I'll bet it's a bloody SM57

To be honest the vocals sound overprocessed to me, rather than piling on more compression and EQ'd I recommened going back to the source and getting a more consistent take. Perhaps take advantage of the proximity effect to fatten it up a little. If that's not an option, play around with an EQ between about 2kHz - 4kHz until you've found that harsh, nasal frequency, then then bring it down a little with a wide Q.

Guitar tones are lovely, and the drums are nice (they're noticably fake, but that suits the style). You most definitely know what you're doing.
Last edited by kyle62 at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by kyle62
Ok, the vocals are the primary issue - they're really thin and weak sounding, what mic did you use? EDIT: I'll bet it's a bloody SM57

To be honest the vocals sound overprocessed to me, rather than piling on more compression and EQ'd I recommened going back to the source and getting a more consistent take. Perhaps take advantage of the proximity effect to fatten it up a little. If that's not an option, play around with an EQ between about 2kHz - 4kHz until you've found that harsh, nasal frequency, then then bring it down a little with a wide Q.

Guitar tones are lovely, and the drums are nice (they're noticably fake, but that suits the style). You most definitely know what you're doing.

I'm actually trying out my new rode nt1-a for the vocals. I guess i'll have to mess around with them a bit more when i go to record again. Im going to go back now and try ou the things you said to the first take we did, which was closer on to the mic.
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

https://soundcloud.com/aaron-mattson/sing-sing-rough-mix-2/s-gHvNX

So i've done some modifications. If you guys would be so kind as to give it a quick listen?

Thanks!
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Ok, just by listening to the original song and your latest mix through the speakers on my gf's laptop (sometimes the translation quality between two mixes can reveal flaws in one mix you aren't noticing when listening in a good environment, though) I can tell you:

1) The OH's/cymbals are more present in the mix of the original, and louder in general.

2) Guitars in the original have more low mids to them, or so it sounds, and less 'fizz'.

3) Vocals at the start of yours have way too much reverb on them, the original is a very subtle level, probably just the sound of the room they were tracked in, though they quite possibly added in reverb when everything else comes in, with automation on a reverb plug-in. Aside from being dryer, if you want to thicken the vocals without creating quite such a stretched and distant effect you can try using a delay instead with only a couple of repeats as this will sustain less.

4) Generally the original mix, as it has gone through mastering etc., is more present and has that high-end sheen that yours lacks. This would be EQ to the master fader, rather than individual tracks, and they've got a thicker sound on the guitars/bass that is more audible even on this laptop, probably through building up the harmonics to the low end that trick the ear into hearing more of the fundamental than it really can.

Like I said, these are observations from a bad listening environment but after saving the project try a few of the suggestions - they may work, or they may reveal new problems with your mix, but that's the way it's gonna be if you are trying to copy somebody else's mix without being shown by them how they did it
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thanks for the response Goliath! I was actually just watching a vocal mixing aid video and they were talking about the exact thing you were about the delay on the vocals. I'll take everything you mentioned in and try to mess with my mix some more. Thanks again!
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Quote by rhoadsboy815
https://soundcloud.com/aaron-mattson/sing-sing-rough-mix-2/s-gHvNX

So i've done some modifications. If you guys would be so kind as to give it a quick listen?

Thanks!

The NT-1A is a bit of an edgy mic to begin with, but I think you're overprocessing the vocals for sure. There's a really harsh edge to em that's really, really fatiguing to listen to. Could you bounce down a sample of the raw vocals with no inserts?

Mix itself is fat an punchy, feels like you've added a bit more 'weight' in this latest iteration. Guitars don't seem as wide though.