I was wondering how durable cabs are?
I have a 5150 combo amp (2x12) which is about 90lbs. How harmful would it be if I were to place it on to of 2x12 carvin cab?
It should be fine.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by zilant
I was wondering how durable cabs are?
I have a 5150 combo amp (2x12) which is about 90lbs. How harmful would it be if I were to place it on to of 2x12 carvin cab?

Still got the 5150? It thought you were going to ditch that thing.

It's one heavy son of a bitch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
ive NEVER in my (admitedly short) life seen a cab so broken it cant be used anymore unless it was being attacked nby a chainsaw...that was a fun weekend
I've seen 4x12's stacked at least 4 cabs high, so you shouldn't have any issue lol
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Quote by R45VT
Still got the 5150? It thought you were going to ditch that thing.

It's one heavy son of a bitch.

It's heavy in every sense of the word!
I was off and on selling it for a while because of car troubles. Things are getting better so I'm trying to get rid of it agiain. In the meantime I wanted to stick it on top of my carvin. Takes up less floor space when you stack stuff

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be leaving it on top of that thing.
Well technically as long as the speakers are intact the cab will work... So given that many cabs could take small explosions, fires, water damage, drops from double digit heights, being dragged behind a car on the freeway... Literally just about anything. Some cabs are cheaper types of plywood and would likely start disintegrating after one good smash, but many are solid woods which could withstand a lot of damage before they started breaking up.

Direct answer to your question: Not only would that be fine, but that's definitely a consideration made when building the cab. They knew you were going to do that, so they planned for it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Well technically as long as the speakers are intact the cab will work... So given that many cabs could take small explosions, fires, water damage, drops from double digit heights, being dragged behind a car on the freeway... Literally just about anything. Some cabs are cheaper types of plywood and would likely start disintegrating after one good smash, but many are solid woods which could withstand a lot of damage before they started breaking up.

Direct answer to your question: Not only would that be fine, but that's definitely a consideration made when building the cab. They knew you were going to do that, so they planned for it.

Is it weird that I now feel silly asking the question in the first place? I feel like I asked "Hey guys will this thing do what it was made to do?"
I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Quote by zilant
Is it weird that I now feel silly asking the question in the first place? I feel like I asked "Hey guys will this thing do what it was made to do?"
I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry.

No worries. The 5150 is a heavy ass amp, so I'm not suprised that you were concerned.

For future reference, when you're at the top of the stairs and your gear is about to come loose from the dolly and fall you grab the head and let the cab roll.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Just an FYI- add pic to your CL.

I am assuming thats yours up in La Mirada.

Good luck selling! Don't get frustrated with the low ballers. It takes a bit of time. I would also post in the LA section if you haven't already.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Hey, if you're worries about the durability you could always take coner reinforcements for kitchen cabs and put them inside.

I did that to my cheap B-52 cab and I jumped off that thing every other day last summer when I was playing shows.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Convert it to a head. It's easy. Chop the cab off is such a way that the lower bezel matches the width of the top bezel. Leave enough tolex below your cut line to tuck it underneath.

Here's my 5150 combo converted....

@R45VT Yeah I keep meaning to put up pictures but I've been super lazy with that.
I've seen these things go for pretty cheap before but I don't mind sitting on it for a bit if it means I get a better deal.

@667 I'd much rather get a new amp all together. I have thought about turning it into a head but I really don't like the controls being on top of the amp.
Quote by zilant
@R45VT Yeah I keep meaning to put up pictures but I've been super lazy with that.
I've seen these things go for pretty cheap before but I don't mind sitting on it for a bit if it means I get a better deal.

Be prepared to wait. Ignore the low ballers. If you are able to wait and not hurting for money you can what you want. Hopefully you priced yours a bit higher than what you really want so you have some wiggle room.

Good new is that its tax time.

Cabs are generally very durable, if anything were to break down it would probably be the connection/speakers. Combos are a little different, as you have the head electronics attached to the cabinet.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com