Hi Guys,

I'm newbie & big ibanez fans. I apologize if i ask this silly question. I interested in Ibanez S420 & XF350. I just wanted to ask some opinion, which is good for rock/metal progressive? I'm kinda confuse because there's a lot reviewed, some saying that the model are sucks, bad sound bla bla... Well, i not good in choosing by specification except by design/shape.

My main things is I wanted to buy and use it for long term. So between the 2 model, which 1 is the BEST? what is the BAD thing bout the 2 model?
Well in short, disregarding the looks (because I hate the look of one of them, you can guess which one):
The bridge alone makes the S420 infinitely better than the XF350. The Edge 3 on the XF350 is notoriously bad.
Another difference that may or may not weigh into your decision is the pickups, as they are passive on the S, and active on the XF.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by hikari05
I just wanted to ask some opinion, which is good for rock/metal progressive?

Either will do both of those things well, depends more on your amp than guitar.

Quote by hikari05
My main things is I wanted to buy and use it for long term. So between the 2 model, which 1 is the BEST? what is the BAD thing bout the 2 model?

I would say go with the S420, the trem is much better on that one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd avoid getting a budget guitar with a locking/floyd rose style tremolo, for someone inexperienced a Floyd Rose type tremolo is a confusing enough thing to begin with (you will see the first time you change the strings) that's without it being one of the cheap copy versions, you will have tuning stability issues all day long.

But if you insist on getting one I'd go with the S420 because it has the better trem. Take note that pretty much any guitar with a good amp will work great for metal, you could take a basic Fender Telecaster with single coil pickups and through a suitable amp it will do crushing metal all day long, and with humbuckers it would blow your mind.

Just to put it into perspective, a real Floyd Rose/Lo-Pro Edge or Edge Pro tremolo system costs more than half the price of those guitars just by itself, only get one of those guitars with the cheaper systems if you're ok with dealing with some of the pain in the ass issues you might come accross.

Failing that you could block off the tremolo altogether, something I did for a friend of mine with a simularely price ranged (and similar quality trem to those above) BC Rich Warlock a few years ago.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If you buy a ZR trem separately they cost a ton IIRC. I guess they save money on the pickups and other stuff.

Assuming the S Series still come with the ZR trem.

I do believe they come with the ZR Trem, which if is the same as the aftermarket version/the ones found on the higher end models then it should be fine. S420 all the way in that case.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Thanks guys. Now i understand between this 2 model. Appreciate for giving me some advised.