Les Paul's personal guitar?
Search ebay with this search string:
"LES PAUL'S PERSONAL GIBSON WHITE CUSTOM"

The link I posted wouldn't show properly.

If I could.

I would.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If there is any chance it might appreciate in value I may make an offer on it. I think Doyle is looking to retire with this one sale. $500,000 seems a bit high to me.
Just need to get some input from others who might know more about it than I.
Last edited by qwertypoiuy at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by Tom 1.0
If I could.

I would.

+1
This so much. But I'd rather have it if it was the first one made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by qwertypoiuy
If there is any chance it might appreciate in value I may make an offer on it. I think Doyle is looking to retire with this one sale. $500,000 seems a bit high to me.
Just need to get some input from others who might know more about it than I.

The Les Paul estate auction had (unsurprisingly) dozens and dozens of Les' guitars, and most of them had been used in some famous picture or album cover or book cover, etc etc., so while this guitar certainly is unique, it's not "The" Les Paul guitar. That honor would go to the Recording model he played for all those years at the Iridium. Certainly some of his early prototypes from the 50s would be unique enough to be priceless, too. The Log counts but that one's in a museum so you're not going to see it for sale any time soon.

So it's special but it's not unique. 500K is a bonkers price for that guitar. I think it's too soon after Les' death for prices on these instruments to have stabilized. I'm certain the original prototypes are going to continue to appreciate because of their historical value, but Les' personal instruments are a lot more of a crapshoot. He was certainly a huge figure in the music industry but the guy had a crapton of guitars. I would pass on this one. It's a collector's piece, not an investor's piece.
Whenever I see an expensive guitar, I just remember it is just wood, metal and plastic. And that really puts me off the idea of spending loads on a guitar. It doesn't stop me though.
That's not a purchase, it's one of the rare cases where buying a guitar as an investment is acceptable (in my eyes, at least).
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
That's not a purchase, it's one of the rare cases where buying a guitar as an investment is acceptable (in my eyes, at least).

Is it though? Certainly there are instruments that are historically and culturally important, and those are probably a safe if not lucrative investment, but I don't think this is one of them. If a person were asked about famous Les guitars while he was alive, this wouldn't have been one of them. His recording model and the Log and maybe his early original goldtops would have been, but this is just another of the dozens and dozens of guitars that Les just happened to own. I think prices on these guitars that are unremarkable beyond the fact that Les owned them are still inflated and they'll even out in a few years.
Quote by Roc8995
Is it though? Certainly there are instruments that are historically and culturally important, and those are probably a safe if not lucrative investment, but I don't think this is one of them. If a person were asked about famous Les guitars while he was alive, this wouldn't have been one of them. His recording model and the Log and maybe his early original goldtops would have been, but this is just another of the dozens and dozens of guitars that Les just happened to own. I think prices on these guitars that are unremarkable beyond the fact that Les owned them are still inflated and they'll even out in a few years.

I did in fact make that statement based on my assumption that this was a vintage model, not, as I just found out, one made by the custom shop quite recently.

Totally not worth the money. If it was a nice vintage instrument with the added prestige of being owned by Les Paul, I still maintain that $500k would be an understandable investment.
Look at what happened with Mary's sg/lp custom, which was in fact a vintage guitar.

People took pretty big baths on that one and it is something both vintage and special in its own right.

Not up there with the old prototypes etc, but a lot moreso than than this white custom.
Anybody who would drop that much money on Les Pauls’ Les Pauls already did so at the estate sale. My guess is that whoever is selling this does not really intend to sell it on eBay, so he submitted the crazy BIN price to draw attention, which will lead to him being contacted directly at a realistic price.
If someone is willing to shell out half a mil for that guitar, then it's worth half a mil.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
As an instrument, it's not worth it.

As a collector's item it might be (as a collector you pretty much define its value for you).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Acϵ♠
If someone is willing to shell out half a mil for that guitar, then it's worth half a mil.

Well, certainly in an inevitable truism sort of way it is, but that's a worthless answer. The actual discussion we can have is, what characteristics does the guitar have that might make its market value so high?

I think we're almost all in agreement that 500K isn't a realistic value for that guitar. But if some oil baron comes along tomorrow and pays that, it doesn't really prove anything so specific about its actual market value. If you buy a stock and the next week the price drops 50%, you can't really say that it's still worth the original price just because that's what you paid for it. The market, not a single buyer, determines the actual value of the item. Obviously it's a little different when it's a unique item, but one data point doesn't dictate market value - clearly the Terminator franchise is worth more than a dollar.
If you spend $50,000 on a guitar, chances are $250,000 isn't much money to you either. And if $250,000 isn't much, why draw the line at $500,000.

The guitar itself is worth about $200-$500 in wood, $50 in paint, $300 in electronics, and about $200 in hardware. Add $1500 in labor and there you have it.

I'd say this guitars actual value should be no more than $10,000.00. Just because a "dead guy" (no offense) owned it doesn't mean as much as "which dead guy". I would expect Slash, Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page and others to own several guitars that will be worth well over anything that Les Paul owned. Although Les Paul is the man who changed the way a guitar should be built, he's not nearly as popular. I'm sure all of you could name 10 specs and facts about 10 Les Pauls (100 total) before you could name 10 facts about Les Paul.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I don't think that's a good argument. First, I don't think that anyone who has 50,000 to spend on a guitar automatically has ten times that much. Sure, 50K is a whole boatload of money, but if you had a great year on the stock market and made a million dollars on a lucky trade, you could afford a 50K guitar easily, but you probably would not buy a 500K one.

I also think it's folly to place some arbitrary dollar amount on the maximum a guitar is "allowed" to cost. I don't think it matters at all whether or not the layperson knows a ton about Les Paul. I couldn't tell you a damn thing about Rembrandt and I couldn't tell a fake from a real one, but the market absolutely dictates that his paintings are worth millions, regardless of what anyone might claim is a "maximum" price for a painting. Clearly the specs of the guitar aren't important in this price range. It's a cultural artifact.

The market dictates price. Your idea of a reasonable cost for a guitar is your own opinion, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone else.
I'd have to agree with Colin on this. It's definitely a collector's guitar, but it was just another guitar that Les Paul happened to own and play. It wasn't one of his "go-to" instruments and it's not his personal Recording model either. To me $500,000 is incredibly steep, especially this soon to his death.

If I had the cash, I wouldn't give over $100,000 for it. $75,000 would make me scratch my head.

EDIT: It was made in 2002, I thought he owned it for a decent while. I wouldn't give over $40,000 for it. $30,000 would make me scratch my head.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
it was just another guitar that Les Paul happened to own and play. It wasn't one of his "go-to" instruments and it's not his personal Recording model either.

And that right there is why I feel $10,000 is reasonable. It's meerly a dressed up $3000 Les Paul Custom that was given to Les Paul.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I follow vintage guitars pretty big, and while Les Paul is a pretty big name in the world I can't really say that in the case of this guitar. It is a 2002 Les Paul Custom built in the custom shop, for a photoshoot. I bet Les barely even played this guitar in perspective to all the other ones he would have had for MANY years.

Certainly worth some good money to the right collector but the guy is asking close to what you can get a legit '59 Les Paul for so yeah I think he is a little high on glue. It is hard to say what kind of value people will put on the fact that Les Paul owned the guitar, but its not autographed and it's not vintage nor is it a one of a kind guitar. If I was running a shop and this walked through my door I would probably offer the guy $100K and try and sell it for like $120K nobody wants to pay that kind of cash for a 2002 white Les Paul when you can get a new one for like $4000. Aside from being on a book cover if there is no documented proof it was used on recording I personally could careless who owned the guitar because for all you know it could have been a reject to them, but that's just my two cents.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5