Hi! so im looking in to buying a solid state amp, ive been doing my research and as of right now the one i'm looking at is the fender frontman 212r, 100w and it costs $329 plus tax, i play some acoustic stuff but also some rock and a good amount of metal. but everyone online is saying this amp is shit for any kind of metal, can you guys suggest any other amps for around the same price and strength? Please no tube amps, i know they sound better but i dont wanna fork out all the money for that now.
roland jc120, get a distortion pedal and you'll be set
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
yea.. i have a max price of around 350 so that wouldnt work, i have a digitech metal master that i mainly use
I know you said no tube amps, but you're talking $329 dollars you can afford a tube amp. Peavey Valveking, Peavey Vypyr come to mind. They really do sound better, especially if you plan to play a "good ammount of metal"
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
you can grab jc120s used for around that, just the other day there was a guy on here that said he had to the chance to get one for $80, it had a few issues, but still. there was another that could get one for $180 or something. do some searching and they're a great amp to get if you want solid state
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
+1 to the Peavey vypyr tube60
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just curious, why the desire for solid state over tube? I understand the need for SS vs Tube, just want to know your motivation.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
well, its mainly because i hear that tube amps need repair alot more often than solid state, and also costs more to repair, Eventually i'll end up probably getting a tube amp, but for now i just want an amp for home and to jam with and maybe a small show or 2
As long as you take care of it you shouldn't have much trouble with a tube amp. Do NOT get a solid state, especially something like a Frontman. You will regret it, guarantee. I had a 15 watt Frontman when I first started playing and grew to hate it after about a month. Don't make that mistake.
I ran my first valve amp hard, playing live for a good 4 years before it needed anything, I have another 10watt valve amp that has never been revalved or had any repair work done to it since I bought it in 2005 and my Cornford that I bought used last year has not needed anything done to it, other guitarist in my band bought a Valveking in 2006 and has revalved it once since then, and not because it stopped working or had any issues.

Sure you need to maintain them, and revalve them often if you use them a lot and want them to sound their best (and that doesn't mean they will sound bad if you don't), but it's not a requirement and if they do break they are no harder to fix than a solid state if it breaks.

And for that you get a far superior sound and don't have to worry about replacing it down the road when you come to decide your solid state sounds like poop.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by sake13211
well, its mainly because i hear that tube amps need repair alot more often than solid state, and also costs more to repair, Eventually i'll end up probably getting a tube amp, but for now i just want an amp for home and to jam with and maybe a small show or 2

Tube amps generally shouldn't need to be repaired unless you buy something really low quality.

They do however need the tubes replaced occasionally. How often really depends on how often you play and how loud you play.

Solid State amps are not cheap to repair. Generally if something breaks it's cheaper to buy a new one then it is to fix what you've got. That said, they're unlikely to break unless you treat them badly.
Peavey xxl's are really good solid state amps. I got mine for 200 and it will never die. I also have an ultra plus and 5150 iii 50w and those will never die either. If your really set on solid state than go ahead but I have two tube amps and gig monthly, and have never had any problems and never even retubed them.