Since I've been doing my degree, I've noticed there's been a lot more than just being a good technical player. What do you think makes a good guitarist/musician?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Communication, reacting to what's happening in the band, playing what's needed, not what's flash.
Knowing exactly what to do when it's needed and being able to do it well. Also sight reading, if your sight-reading is top notch, you're set.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Being quite.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
i tend towards guitarists who despise their instrument
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The ability to write and improvise, not just playing arpeggios at 9001bpm.
The ability of acquiring any female specimen in the crowd.
Being able to play like Buckethead.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Being able to pull of maximum with minimum of gear.
Also getting alone with the rhytm and knowing when to strike hard or play softly.
that depends on the setting
a classical guitarist need to have a great technique and control
while a jazz guitarist needs improvisational skills and know how to play witht he changes and be able to swing both drunk and sober

a rock guitarist needs to be able to groove and write interesting parts that arent too flashy unless youre playing glam rock

so i guess a guitarist need to play what is needed and nothign more nothign less

i mean...
great hair
Quote by mdc
Communication, reacting to what's happening in the band, playing what's needed, not what's flash.

This and also helping others when needed to, like when others are clueless.
I'd also add the ability to not be a poser, but I guess that's what being flash means.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by griffRG7321

Hahahahaha!!

I try and keep myself well rounded with theory, composition, sight reading and being able to record/produce.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
breadth of stylistic ability. If you can play competently - forget virtuosically - in rock, jazz, country, blues, pop, and classical music, you are far more useful than a guitarist that can shred in just one style.

Of course, you'll probably get some monster chops getting into shape with so many styles. And you'll never have the time to learn them by ear if you do stuff like work at a job, so having some theory in your head will help.
Last edited by cdgraves at Mar 11, 2013,
The bigger your hair/beard, the better you are as a guitarist.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I would say passion, emotion and feeling.

Playing the notes is one thing, but feeling them and moving the audience is another.

Look at how many people play SRV covers, they play the notes, but the feeling is not there.
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
Quote by Hail
i tend towards guitarists who despise their instrument

Eheh, heheh. Hi.