Friends mum purchased west highland terrier pup. wasnt trained right. Friends mum took ill. Dog wad shy now is aggressive and very difficult to handle.

So owner is badly ill and it needs to go as is wrecking her house etc. Should we sell it to an experienced person? Its 7 months old. Can it be retrained. We dont want to sell it on incase it attacks a new owner, but she paid 500 quid.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Mar 11, 2013,
No breeder is going to want a dog with those traits, and I don't know where you're from but I've never heard of a trainer outright buying dogs like they're a doggy pawn shop or something like you seem to be alluring to.
Why does it have to be to one of those options?

Surely you can sell it to anyone who wants a puppy?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by tukk04
No breeder is going to want a dog with those traits, and I don't know where you're from but I've never heard of a trainer outright buying dogs like they're a doggy pawn shop or something like you seem to be alluring to.

The dog sells for £500 normally. Im asking if its possible to retrain a dog at 7 months really.
Trainers don't buy dogs, they train them. Breeders won't want it. Take it to an RSPCA or something.

edit: Oh, yeah, it is possible. My nan retrained a 4 year old dog that was a little shit. Now he's not a little shit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
The dog sells for £500 normally. Im asking if its possible to retrain a dog at 7 months really.

yes

It's still a puppy. Shouldn't be to hard to train for someone who actually knows what they're doing
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Yes, you can re-train a dog.

However, you need to be absolute with it.

What I understand from the OP is that the dog was ill and therefore could not be trained as a puppy. If that is the case, then yes absolutely you can still train it, but bear in mind the longer you leave it then the harder it will be.

What illness does the dog have, if you don't mind me asking? And is that illness alone enough reason for you to want to sell the dog?
lrn2english TS.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by tukk04

my parents are dog breeders, gotta agree. if a dog wasn't raised well, 7 months is almost definitely too late to fix. best option would be to get rid of it.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
my parents are dog breeders, gotta agree. if a dog wasn't raised well, 7 months is almost definitely too late to fix. best option would be to get rid of it.

could you double check with them? quite important. its a westie.
Well according to google, they are high energy and need lots of exercise. I can imagine that would be even more so as a puppy. If the owner is too ill to walk it maybe try getting someone to take it out. The aggression might be pent up energy. Also, aren't they pretty small? Surely you can handle it.
Worst comes to worst, your local Korean BBQ joint won't say no. Just bring him to the back, because they don't like buying Fido where all the customers can see.
still a puppy! you've got plenty of time. I'd say that's quite normal for puppies.
ALSO I'm sure the dog is REALLY distressed with what is going on with the owner.

just try to find the best possible home for the dog so that it can live a good life. :]