So I have a friend who is looking for a good gift for her boyfriend to help motivate him play guitar more. I record stuff and hes kind of my guitar player, and we are trying to get a band going around here. We play mainly rock type of music, but are trying new things and doing whatever sounds good, and open to a wide variety.
So there isn't an exact budge, but probably no higher than 400, preferably 300.
He likes the current guitar he has, so i don't see a reason to look for a new one, even though its lower quality. But his amp, is garbage, and he does a distortion pedal, i forget which one exactly, i think a BOSS one.

Any suggestion on amps? I feel like he may as well get something that would be loud enough for a small bar and local gigs. But also something that sounds great, and good to record with.

OR

Should he just be looking at pedals to find a better sound? Multi effect pedal or start making a collection? I was thinking the Digitech RP 255 looked good enough, but idk much about guitar pedals. But then he doesn't exactly have a good amp to play through. So i'm unsure as to what to suggest.

Sorry that its so much, thanks!
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
I'm going to post the obligititory used vyper tube 60 recomendation. Quick question though what genre are you guys playing? Location? Is this girlfriend going to be in the band, that never works for the band. I had a gf that wanted to join a band with but I explained how its just ends badly but told her I will do other things in a musical capacity.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Ha, nah shes not musical, she is just trying to make his hobby more than just a small thing. Any other suggestions?

-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
Used valveking combo would do the trick too that's with in the budget as well. Your going to want an amp instead of a processor especially if you are going to be gigging. Classic 30's and blue voodoos are in that price range as well. The vyper is a fun choice because it has a crap ton of bells and whistles. I wish my girlfriend was awesome and bought me guitar stuff I'd be happy with a used big muff or a bag of picks
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Thats what i'm saying! The guy at the music store thought the girl was a fool for looking at such expensive stuff. I don't see us gigging to soon, or for a whileee. I'm kind of leaning towards the multi pedal to hopefully motivate him to play a lot more, but he would need an amp sooner or later, and idk if multi pedals are even that good, i got one for bass and its kind of useless, but thats bass.

-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
id totally suggest an amp a multi fx is fun but in a band scenario for practice and gigging you need an amp
some amps i can think of in that price range
are the peavey valve king
a bugera V22
maybe a used blues jr if you dont expect clean tones or larger gigs
a peavey vyper tube60 may also be good not sure if you can get a tube 60 at that price though(my personal favortie of the vyper series)

i wish my gf would buy me cool guitar stuff...actually a female freind was going to buy me a carvin v3 head...i need to call her

edit:peavey vypyr tube 60 is right in your price range

also add a classic30 and used ac15 to the list of amps to check out
Last edited by supersac at Mar 11, 2013,
There's a used Valveking 212 on Ebay for $300
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
What sort of music are we talking about here? A Peavey Classic 30 would be a good all around amp to start off with, but there might be more specific and better suited amps depending on the style. Multi Fx are awful unless you pay a few hundred for a decent one and run it into a PA system, so I DO recommend an amp. Now if only my girlfriend would buy me a pedal or an amp. So far she's gotten me strings and a capo...working on graduating up the chain. LOL
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5