Thoughts?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/03/08/f-vp-crowe-big-sugar.html

Snippet:

As Couzens sorted through the documents, the full extent of that campaign to forge public opinion emerged. The documents describe industry lobby efforts to sponsor scientific research, silence media reports critical of sugar, and block dietary guidelines to limit sugar consumption.

The Sugar Association's president reported to the Board of Director's meeting in October, 1976 that, "in confronting our critics we try never to lose sight of the fact that no confirmed scientific evidence links sugar to the death-dealing diseases. This crucial point is the life blood of the association."

And the Sugar Association was clear about its intention to use science to defeat sugar’s critics. To support "our desire to maintain research as a main prop of the industry's defence," the member companies were told that $230,000 was being reserved to fund scientific research, according to a report from the Sugar Association's annual meeting of the board of directors, in Chicago in 1977.

and another:
The documents also reveal efforts to manipulate media coverage. The Sugar Association had been stung by a New York Times headline: "The Bitter Truth About Sugar," written by a prominent nutritionist in June 1976. "It's bad for the health, bad for the teeth, and we eat more of it than we think", the article declared.

The Sugar Association president warned the board of directors that this "shoddy piece" was being followed up by "naive writers working for other papers around the country." But the association had saved the day. Thanks to an inside tip, they were able to keep Reader's Digest from running a condensed version of the same article.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Mar 11, 2013,
Doesn't change the fact that the NY law was full of arbritrary loopholes, many of them which would have made the situation worse. Which is what most bans end up doing anyway. See the Prohibition for a classic example. But some people never learn.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 11, 2013,
The difference is that the tobacco companies were making claims to consumers that were completely unsubstantiated at best, and patently false at worst. I honestly can't blame the sugar industry. Why?

BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN'T ****ING TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ****ING PROBLEMS. This whole witch hunt against sugar is ridiculous. Let people do what the **** they want to their bodies. Will I consume 89,000oz of soda in an hour? No. But it shouldn't be illegal.

"The availability of sugar and the ease of purchase contributes greatly to the deterioration of the youth and the increase in the obesity rate."

Yeah, and the availability of water contributes to drowning rates. How about you man the **** up and learn how to ****ing eat properly, and teach your goddam kid to eat properly? Don't blame the food, it's your problem for being a subpar human being that you actually think banning sugar in some measures is an acceptable solution.
^^^This, too.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by progdude93
The difference is that the tobacco companies were making claims to consumers that were completely unsubstantiated at best, and patently false at worst. I honestly can't blame the sugar industry. Why?

BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN'T ****ING TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ****ING PROBLEMS. This whole witch hunt against sugar is ridiculous. Let people do what the **** they want to their bodies. Will I consume 89,000oz of soda in an hour? No. But it shouldn't be illegal.

"The availability of sugar and the ease of purchase contributes greatly to the deterioration of the youth and the increase in the obesity rate."

Yeah, and the availability of water contributes to drowning rates. How about you man the **** up and learn how to ****ing eat properly, and teach your goddam kid to eat properly? Don't blame the food, it's your problem for being a subpar human being that you actually think banning sugar in some measures is an acceptable solution.

this post sums up my feelings on the subject, albeit rather angrily
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery

I hate morons and I refuse to apologize for it.
Quote by Burgery

Same here.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by progdude93
I hate morons and I refuse to apologize for it.

that's ironic
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
that's ironic

This from the guy who's too awkward to walk on the street. Why don't you go join your buddy Due in bandom?

EDIT: TL;DR: If you like banning stuff so much, why don't you get yourself banned?
Quote by shiggityswah

Obviously there shouldn't be a ban on sugar, but it's very very bad when the sugar industry is trying to stifle education about the harmful effects of excess sugar intake. IMO, foods with excessive amounts of sugar/HFCS should be required to carry warning labels similar to those on cigarettes and alcohol.
Quote by TheChaz
Obviously there shouldn't be a ban on sugar, but it's very very bad when the sugar industry is trying to stifle education about the harmful effects of excess sugar intake. IMO, foods with excessive amounts of sugar/HFCS should be required to carry warning labels similar to those on cigarettes and alcohol.

The issue isn't that simple. There's growing evidence that synthetic sweeteners (and synthetic fat substitutes) can both contribute to obesity, perhaps more than real sugar and fat.

It's similar labeling for "Fat Free," "Low Fat," and "Lite" products that put even more HFCS content into the American diet over the last several decades.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
The issue isn't that simple. There's growing evidence that synthetic sweeteners (and synthetic fat substitutes) can both contribute to obesity, perhaps more than real sugar and fat.

It's similar labeling for "Fat Free," "Low Fat," and "Lite" products that put even more HFCS content into the American diet over the last several decades.

I'm well aware, which is why I keep my intake of sugar and artificial sweeteners to a minimum. Something needs to be done to improve the American diet though. At this rate, we'll all be whales by the time I'm 35.
Quote by TheChaz
I'm well aware, which is why I keep my intake of sugar and artificial sweeteners to a minimum. Something needs to be done to improve the American diet though. At this rate, we'll all be whales by the time I'm 35.

I'm with you, brother. There have got to be better ways that don't keep making the problem worse.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by TheChaz

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
[funny pic]

That

is

not

nice.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
That

is

not

nice.

True, the shirt is hideous

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
True, the shirt is hideous

Yeah. But making fun of overweight people in general probably doesn't have much positive effect. Sure, some might get motivated to lose weight, but probably not until they've kicked their dogs and taken the pain out on others around them first. Not to mention all the eating disorders.

Yeah, I get it, this is the Pit. But you've posted a serious issue here.

EDIT: Incidentally my BMI is and always has been between 10 and 15.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
Yeah. But making fun of overweight people in general probably doesn't have much positive effect. Sure, some might get motivated to lose weight, but probably not until they've kicked their dogs and taken the pain out on others around them first. Not to mention all the eating disorders.

Yeah, I get it, this is the Pit. But you've posted a serious issue here.

EDIT: Incidentally my BMI is and always has been between 10 and 15.

Lol shes pregnant, not obese.

Its the fact that its kim kardashian, a "fashionista" and she looks like a killer whale because of her clothes/colour choice, not trying to be offensive to overweight people.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by metalblaster
The sugar association? lol wtf??

this was my first thought too lol
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Lol shes pregnant, not obese.

Its the fact that its kim kardashian, a "fashionista" and she looks like a killer whale because of her clothes/colour choice, not trying to be offensive to overweight people.

She's both. My wife didn't look like that at 9 months, and our kid was more than 9 lbs. I'm pretty sure the folks at funny pics.com or whatever used different criteria than what you're claiming.

But thanks for clearing up your intent on not wanting to offend overweight people. Maybe now they won't be offended if they read this thread.
Quote by shiggityswah

Honestly I don't even know how people drink pop. I can barely handle a can of coke. That shit churns my stomach up so bad and makes me feel like shit for the whole day.
Quote by metalblaster
Honestly I don't even know how people drink pop. I can barely handle a can of coke. That shit churns my stomach up so bad and makes me feel like shit for the whole day.

Yeah, I can't remember how many years it's been since I had a cola without rum or bourbon in it. And even then, I couldn't say how many months it's been since I've had that.

But it's not even just the sugar. It's also how quickly you body turns the carbs into blood sugar. Your body will do that faster with a plain bagel and fat free cream cheese than it will with a doughnut.

Some types of white rice have a higher glycemic index than pure sugar.

It's not as simple as some politicians would have you believe.
Quote by shiggityswah