Originally I wanted to buy a new big "super amp" (carvin v3m) but since I have no money and don't play guitar for any bands I think I'll be happy saving the money with a small practice amp. Right now for practice I have the same Marshall G30 I've had since fourth grade (8 years ago) as most people know if you want to practice a solo on this amp...you almost can't the highs sound so bad.

In this case I'm looking for an amp for playing metal through, looking to spend $250, lower is better. It's got to be new, I don't like buying practice amps often (the reason I've suffered with my mg since I started learning solos). Amount of power, don't really care I'd like up to 20w so I can get some volume, I think 5w would get by (I don't like to play loud). Effects are cool to have but doesn't matter to much as long as it has a good metal setting and will sound good on the high notes.

There's two amps I've been looking at hardest the Roland Cube 20xl, and the VOX valvetronix VT20+. I've been leaning toward the VOX for just a few reasons but I thought I'd see what everyone else says. There's not any stores around where I live to try them out so I'm going off YouTube videos before I order offline. Other suggestions are great, I've also looked at fender mustang v2, but, I don't care for it as much as the other two.
If you have an iOS device, Peavey's Ampkit is pretty great. I use it through a mini pa speaker and it sounds awesome. Go that route and save for the big amp.

If you need a real amp, the Roland Micro Cube is great to (for the r-fire model)... beyond that just get a Vyper.
I have looked at the vypyr, I don't care much for peavy amps, but what that particular amp is missing is a way to reduce the power. The VOX has a real nice dial, and the Roland just has a single button. Maybe I have sharp ears or just don't like being loud but I'd much prefer something like that so I can keep the gain on high.
Volume knob, use it. There is no need for reducing power, especially in case of solid state that, unlike tube amps usually, sound pretty much as clean on low volumes as it does on loud.

If your problem is that the volume jumps from quiet to loud way too fast and adjusting the volume is way too sensitive job, what you need is a Master Volume in your amp. Wattage is irrelevant, be it 20w or 100w they get loud incredibly fast if channel volume knobs are the amps only volume controls. My Peavey Envoy and hell, even my puny 10w Vox Pathfinder with its 6" speaker get ridiculously loud and fast when gain is cranked up because of this reason, no separate Master Volume to tame it. But both can be set for comfortable volumes just as well as my 100w Valveking, you just have to mind your wrist movements when touching the volume.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 12, 2013,
My advice would be a Zoom G3 and a good set of headphones. Or, if you already have headphones, a POD HD (I think you can get the 300 for your budget)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I have a pair of JVC studios, they costed me like $20 on clearance so I'm not sure if they cut it. Going the headphones route is interesting though, I am going to look into that as well. Even if I need new head phones some $75 on a pair of Sennheisers would probably do it.
It actually turns out one of my friends has the VOX valvetronix, so I can try that one out.
Look at Sennheiser HD280 Pros if you go the headphone route, they're awesome. I think I got them for around 80 using a coupon at GC.

And as for not liking Peavey amps...if it's just a general impression, and not based on actual experience, I suggest looking again. I say that because I just had a general negative impression of the brand. I'm not even sure where it came from but it was from a long time ago. Then I started doing some research a couple years ago and it made me look again. They're awesome.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
I've used Peavy PA speakers and mixers and they were bad. I decided to look this up on google opposed to just YouTube videos and I think as far as for metal goes the Roland Cube is generally the most recommended. I was listening to some more recordings too and I think that's the way to go.

If I decide I don't need on board effects and just wan to use my pedals (Ibanez smash box, digitec rp1000) through a clean channel like I currently do what would be some good choices? Would I be able to save any money going this way?
Last edited by mace200200 at Mar 13, 2013,
Perhaps a simple Fender Frontman R20, or a Kustom KG112, I would save $80 and would get a nice 12'' speaker too. Would such a cheap amp sound better than my current mg particularly on the highs though?
No, not at all honestly. You'd get no tonal advantage over the Marshall IMO.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Like I said I don't much care for peavy but I didn't reliezed the tiny vypyr was only $100. I think I might go ahead and gamble that much on the vypyr.

Let me ask one more thing though. I'm mostly a bass player and when the speakers are 8'' or smaller it can really choke the low end. Does this apply with guitars as well or not so much? Will for example that 8'' vypyr have lows identical to the bigger 12'' vypyr?
I definitely suggest the 30 over the 15. The speaker farted out too quickly on the 15 I had. And if you haven't tried the Vypyr, do so. Don't let your impressions, based off of the PA and mixer, keep you from trying and amp that sounds like it'd be great for you. If you actually tried it and didn't like it, that's different.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
I'd rather spend $180 on the cube before $200 on the vypyr though. Any other reason besides the speaker you'd recommend the 30 over the 15?
Quote by mace200200
I'd rather spend $180 on the cube before $200 on the vypyr though. Any other reason besides the speaker you'd recommend the 30 over the 15?

If you go used, you can find Vypyr 30's all day long for well under $150.
I would seriously consider going for a used amp; you will almost definitely get more for your money. The Peavey Bandit 112 is a very good practice amp and you could pick one up for $200 used.
So you don't have an iOS device? You really cant beat it if you do. $14 amp kit dongle from Guitar Center and a free app from Peavey with option's to purchase more (they have non-peavey models simulated and tons of effects).

Sounds better than any practice amp I've played through.
Quote by 667
So you don't have an iOS device? You really cant beat it if you do. $14 amp kit dongle from Guitar Center and a free app from Peavey with option's to purchase more (they have non-peavey models simulated and tons of effects).

Sounds better than any practice amp I've played through.

I missed your first post until now. Last I saw those things were like $50, I think I'm defiantly going to try it for $15. You seem to be a fan so your word alone is worth the gamble. To be clear this is what your talking about right? And them the ap is free?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-ampkit-link-guitar-interface-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch
It's sold out there buy for $10 more I can get it off amazon prime where it is in stock. Free 2 day shipping at least.
Last edited by mace200200 at Mar 14, 2013,
Quote by mace200200
I missed your first post until now. Last I saw those things were like $50, I think I'm defiantly going to try it for $15. You seem to be a fan so your word alone is worth the gamble. To be clear this is what your talking about right? And them the ap is free?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-ampkit-link-guitar-interface-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch
It's sold out there buy for $10 more I can get it off amazon prime where it is in stock. Free 2 day shipping at least.

Yup. That's the one. It works with the iRig Apps too. Peavey's amp models are better (IMO and less noisy). You wont be disappointed.

I use it though this mini pa....
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B205D-150-Watt-Monitor/dp/B00378GEAM

But it's just as great through headphones and conventional desktop speakers.
That be something cool to shoot for in the future if I decide I really like it. For now, I'm going to order the thing tommorow when I have some cash and I have some real nice pc speakers I'm going to try it though (I build computers, I have nice speakers). While I'm saving up for some headphones I used to have Sennheisers and will probably shoot for another pair. Headphones are something I know about.
Go play a Vypyr 30 and a Vypry tube 60. The Master Volume works really well. It doesn't jump like a lot of other high gain amps. Have someone at the shop show you how to turn the effects off and dial it in. Great practice amp for metal and has a headphone output.
i think that there are a ton of amps (again if wanting to buy used) that work great and nobody has heard of.

for example i bought a hybrid ampeg combo with a english celestion for $40 (down from $100 because he didn't have a switch and i pulled the "well since i can't hear the other channel i don't know if it works). he said OK, i said $40 sound good? he said yes. that amp has just of good of cleans as a roland JC (only if it had chorus, but it does have a nice spring reverb).

i have done that in the past, and you will find some great gear that has just fallen into the cracks as it got older.

i picked up a Randall Century 100 MINT for $45, takes a while to dial in, but its usable as far as a 'metal' tone.

there are tons of good amps you can buy used that nobody knows of.

+1 to whoever recommended the peavey bandit great amps for a very reasonable price.

just to mention.

if you are seeking digital amps, i would go vypyr tube. and IMO if you get a regular vypyr, you want the one with the 12" speaker. it sounds much better, and is worth it. i haven't ever owned a modeling amp, but i played with the vypyrs (especially the tube 120. which i am sure is not much of a difference than the tube 60).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Vypyr 30 is the best value practice amp around. 12" speaker is a big deal. I'm not sure if the comparable Mustang has a 12" or not, but it basically makes the difference between something you grow out of in a few months/a year and something you can keep around forever as a practice/backup amp.

I've owned a few Vypyrs, the 15W, 75W and the 120W Tube. 311 has a 60W tube. Any questions you have about them you can ask us.

But basically, the Vypyr 30W beats everything else in the same price range because it's the cheapest modeler out that sports a 12" speaker. I know the Cubes at least don't get a 12" speaker til the stupidly high priced models (for a practice amp).

EDIT: And yeah, you being worried about volume on the Vypyr is absolutely crazy talk. The Vypyr, and I exaggerate not, has the best volume control I've ever used. It actually has two volume controls, one for the patch and a master, so you can dial it in to literally whisper volume, and it still sounds great.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 15, 2013,
Yea I've never had an amp with master volume control. I'm ordering that peavy thing if I like it enough then ill save money and keep my mg for whenever I need it and work on replacing my big amp with a v3m.
Well just ordered the link kit thing, hope I don't get a bum unit, seems like theres alot of those. at least if I do I get two day shipping back and return shipping is free...I can always just keep sending them back and forth
So I got my ampkit in the mail yesterday. I think it's pretty cool so far, some problems with feedback on my active guitars. Still can't get the exact sound I'm looking for, getting closer with some practice though. If the thing doesn't break down anytime soon I'm going to buy some amp heads. In the meantime I already bought a $5 pedal that's pretty neat. My current headphones were cheap and are very bass heavy. Think I might order some new ones before I continue looking for a practice amp. Or maybe some speakers for this. We'll see how much I like it after a few months.