I checked the connections and everything is soldered on right, no wires seem loose...I also checked the input jack. and everything is fine....I don't know what it is? I mainly use Guitar Rig 5 connected with a Tascam interface. No amp. So it's not that. Everything sounded fine yesterday,and earlier today. But as I was practicing today,the sound just suddenly went weaker,with less gain....Could this be a problem with the pots or humbucker? (only have 1 humbucker). Are there any tests I can do to check if it's the pots or humbucker?
What guitar do you have? If it has active electronics, try replacing the battery.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
A schecter omen 6 .. No, no active electronics. It's a dimarzio mo joe. I'm hoping its not te humbucker that's broken . Pots are cheap to replace , but I also don't want to waste away money if its a humbucker problem.
Last edited by CrippleBastards at Mar 11, 2013,
height of pickup? sometimes the height adjustment screws vibrate out and your pickup could drop ever so slightly. poke it, does it do a wee bit of flappin around?
Possibly a bad jack connection.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Something people often overlook because of how simple it is...have you tried another instrument cable?
Haven't tried another instrument cable. Don't have another but I'll see if I can get one . It isn't the input jack either . I just put a new one in it. Same problem. It isn't the pickup height either . When it sounded properly I had it set low because it sounded much nicer. Now even with the pickup set high there is almost no sustain it also has a some what lower tone like if the volume knob was set low. I dont know if its the pots or humbucker. This sucks . On certain settings it can sound good but the sustain sucks
If you replaced the jack recently, perhaps it could be a bad solder joint somewhere?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Zan595
Something people often overlook because of how simple it is...have you tried another instrument cable?

+1

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you replaced the jack recently, perhaps it could be a bad solder joint somewhere?

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I did replace the jack recently. Is it possible to use a wrong type of input jack? The old input jack from it only had 2 lugs and the new one has 3. Maybe I should check if there is a difference if I install the old one again.
Do you have a multimeter? I would check resistance from the tip terminal on the jack to the hot lug going to the jack, and the ring terminal on the jack to the ground on the back of the pot. Resistance should be little to nothing on the lowest scale setting. Then I would check across the two hot lugs on the pot with the volume at max. You should also have little to no resistance between these two on the lowest scale. If you get a measurable reading while testing to the jack, check your solder joints. If you get a measurable reading across the pot, try cleaning it with contact cleaner. If that fails, replace the pot.

Beyond those tests, you can measure the resistance between the hot and ground wires on the pickup. Dimarzio lists the Mo' Joe as having a DC resistance of 9.76 Kohms. If resistance is significantly less than that, say 1Kohms, then you have a shorted coil and must replace the pickup.

Edit:

Looks like you installed a stereo jack. I don't believe that there is a difference unless you put the ground on the tip and the hot wire on the ring/sleeve.
Last edited by 4FunandProphet at Mar 11, 2013,
Are shorting coils on humbuckers a common thing? Why would that happen? So I could prevent this from happening again. If it is that a coil broke
Last edited by CrippleBastards at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by CrippleBastards
Are shorting coils on humbuckers a common thing? Why would that happen? So I could prevent this from happening again. If it is that a coil broke

I can't think of a single reason why that would happen that doesn't involve tampering with or throwing the pickup into a wall. I wouldn't worry too much about that, but you could easily check it with a multimeter.

I think it's more likely that the jack or something else has a bad connection.
It isn't the jack. I just installed 2 dfferent ones and that didn't help. Tomorrow I'll replace the pots hopefully. I have a few extras. I've been wanting to replace them anyway .
I can narrow this down. What happened right before you noticed the change? Was it right after the switched jack? Did you roll over the cable with a chair or pull on it. Was your amp up above 75%? Whatever happened right before was prolly the cause
I had a similar problem too, the inside of the line-in jack was a bit screwed on my computer, eventualy it took only signal for the left-pan only making it sound weaker.
You haven't changed any of the controls on the guitar accidentally, by any chance? I've done that countless times. Sat there wondering why the gain's so weak and realise I've accidentally turned the volume knob halfway down.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.