I put in new 12-56 gauge strings, but a few things have gone wrong:

- The tuning peg on the low E string is ridiculously hard to tune up and the string is under a lot of tension (it's in drop B tuning and under a ridiculous amount of tension).
- Unlike the other strings, the D string is super loose and wobbly

How can I fix this?

I have an Ibanez from the S series with a tremolo locking system.
I don't mean to sound patronising but i just want to check to cover all bases... You haven't accidentally tried tuning an octave too high have you? Even 12-56's should have a fair amount of give when tuned down to B.
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
I don't mean to sound patronising but i just want to check to cover all bases... You haven't accidentally tried tuning an octave too high have you? Even 12-56's should have a fair amount of give when tuned down to B.

No, I haven't. I tuned it normally to B (even played a bit to see if songs sound correct) and it's under a f-ton of tension.
.056 for drop B should never feel too tight. dumb question but are you sure you're not an octave too high? same with the D, are you at the right octave?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
.056 for drop B should never feel too tight. dumb question but are you sure you're not an octave too high? same with the D, are you at the right octave?

Positive. Could it be the truss rod?

I'm a moron. The D string is now fine. I was in the wrong octave on that string.

The E string, however, is still ridiculously tense and hard to tune.
Last edited by JJ1994 at Mar 11, 2013,
Okayyy. Managed to figure it out. If anyone has a similar problem, here's what I did:

- Make sure it's in the correct octave (lol)
- Make sure the string is coiled equally when you're re-stringing your guitar. My issue with the E-string was because it kept overlapping and created a lot of unnecessary tension. Be sure to spread it out.
what do you mean the E (B?) string kept overlapping? at the tuning peg? i dont see how this would create extra tension if you're tuned to the proper note.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
what do you mean the E (B?) string kept overlapping? at the tuning peg? i dont see how this would create extra tension if you're tuned to the proper note.

edit: wait now I don't understand. same question...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JJ1994
Okayyy. Managed to figure it out. If anyone has a similar problem, here's what I did:

- Make sure it's in the correct octave (lol)
- Make sure the string is coiled equally when you're re-stringing your guitar. My issue with the E-string was because it kept overlapping and created a lot of unnecessary tension. Be sure to spread it out.

haha yep, the right octave does usually help. Especially if you don't want to trash some hardware!