Hey so recently a friend became interested in joining my band as a guitarist and so I'd agreed to help him out. So now instead of a 3 piece band, its become a 4 piece. However, his only background was a couple years of here and there acoustic guitar playing. He doesn't have any gear, but said he's willing to fork out what he can for some gear. Since I knew a little about gear and what's gonna work in our band situation, I told him I'd help him out.

Ok, so basically what he needs is a good clean and dirty sounds at reasonable volumes. We're not talking exactly bar gig loud, but not exactly bedroom level loud. Kind of in the middle. He also needs to be able to switch between clean and dirty during songs. I've already donated an old Boss DS-1 that I used to use, but I really dislike that pedal's sound, especially from the type of amp I know he's gonna need to buy.

And that takes me to the budget. $200-$250. I know, not exactly great, but he's just starting out as an electric guitarist so I don't think overwhelming him would be the best. Plus, he still needs to buy an electric guitar so that's pretty much the limit right now. Also, I'd love for him to start shopping used, and I'd help him, but we have a hard time matching up schedules. The only time we really ever spend with each other is at school and during band practices, but because of work/other things, it's tough to meet up outside of that. So with that said, he'd have to buy new.

tl;dr - Newbie electric guitarist friend. Needs decently loud amp. $200-$250 max. Purchase new.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
keep your eye open for a used line 6 flextone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
There is a Peavey ValveKing 2x12 combo for $199 on Guitar centers used site. Thats probably his best bet.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dude, you really aren't going to get anything that useful for $200-$250 new. You should seriously reconsider going used.

If you're from Las Vegas like your info says there.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3599728402.html
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3627121895.html
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3536998318.html
Last edited by VishNuRoXoUt at Mar 11, 2013,
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Dude, you really aren't going to get anything that useful for $200-$250 new. You should seriously reconsider going used.

If you're from Las Vegas like your info says there.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3599728402.html
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3627121895.html
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3536998318.html

+1 to the Classic30 and VTM
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
After going through almost 4 months of what guitar to buy (and in what color) at GC, I can tell you that a lot of used items never make it to the Used section of the GC web site. A lot of times a used item will appear only in the Used area OR a particular store's listing. Every week I went there, they had something new (used).

It might be a good idea to go ahead and get the guitar and keep the amp funds on hand and hit GC (and other stores that carry used equipment) periodically until he finds something useful.

Also, a used amp having to be shipped from one GC to another will cost you in shipping costs, anywhere from $25 US to $40, depending on weight. It cost me $28 to ship a 60 lb Peavey Vypyr T60 from Memphis to my house in Florida. So I'd say get one locally and avoid the shipping if you can.
As I said in the first post, I know going used is a great solution. I mean I've done a couple deals on Craigslist also. But seeing as he is pretty much a gear newbie and the fact that I can't go with him to try out this gear, it seems smarter, though costlier, to just go through a retailer at this point. When he gets more used to it, and once we get less hectic schedules, going used shouldn't be a problem, but for now I think suggestions for buying new would be the best.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
From experience, I really do hope your friend knows what he is doing. I did the same thing and helped him out a bit and he decided it was not for him. I was then stuck with gear that I needed to sell...

People are usually enthusiastic when they have the idea that they are gonna be in a band. Just make sure your friend knows what hes doin.
Quote by Kromeo
From experience, I really do hope your friend knows what he is doing. I did the same thing and helped him out a bit and he decided it was not for him. I was then stuck with gear that I needed to sell...

People are usually enthusiastic when they have the idea that they are gonna be in a band. Just make sure your friend knows what hes doin.

Yea I know what you mean. But for the past 3 weeks, I've been teaching him a couple things here and there about electric guitars. I've even brought one of mine to school and let him tinker with it to show him up close and personal some differences between electric and acoustic. Plus I've known him since high school and know his personality and I know he'll wanna stick with it. He's definitely a music lover.

But back to topic, I know to stay away from the Line 6 Spiders from experience (hated my Spider III), but I'm not too sure if I should recommend him the Vypyrs, Mustangs, Valvetronixes, or whatever else is out there.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
behringer makes some pretty solid shit really good for the price, then pump some out for a decent stompbox and youll be good
Quote by EncoreBlade
Yea I know what you mean. But for the past 3 weeks, I've been teaching him a couple things here and there about electric guitars. I've even brought one of mine to school and let him tinker with it to show him up close and personal some differences between electric and acoustic. Plus I've known him since high school and know his personality and I know he'll wanna stick with it. He's definitely a music lover.

But back to topic, I know to stay away from the Line 6 Spiders from experience (hated my Spider III), but I'm not too sure if I should recommend him the Vypyrs, Mustangs, Valvetronixes, or whatever else is out there.

A Mustang II or III would be better than a Valvetronix, and IIRC even a brand new Mustang II will be within budget. It'll definitely be loud enough. I know guys who use them unmiced at bar gigs.

If you're playing heavier stuff, then Vypyr is the way to go (IMHO), but I don't recall pricing on those at all.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Yeah, the Vypyr will get you a whole lotta' different sounds. The problem there is finding one new. The old ones (according to rumor) aren't being made anymore and the new VIP ones won't be out until May (so goes the rumor - check the Peavey forum for more info).

The Vypyr VIP 2 will be 40 watts (as opposed to the old one being 30 watts), but will, supposedly, go for $199 new at GC. I was going to wait for one, but came across a used Tube 60 for $199 and jumped on that.

Why do say you're not sure about recommending a Vypyr (or similar)?
Last edited by arc anjil at Mar 12, 2013,
The Peavey ValveKings are really good starter tube amps, the 112 combos can go for like $175. Then get a footswitch (I used the Boss FS-6 for mine), and you'll be good to go. It's a very middle of the road amp, it can kind of do everything, though it doesn't exactly excel at anything.

Quote by randywolf244
behringer makes some pretty solid shit really good for the price, then pump some out for a decent stompbox and youll be good

lolwut
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Going new in that price range is stupid, plenty of gigable amps in the $200 range.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by EncoreBlade
As I said in the first post, I know going used is a great solution. I mean I've done a couple deals on Craigslist also. But seeing as he is pretty much a gear newbie and the fact that I can't go with him to try out this gear, it seems smarter, though costlier, to just go through a retailer at this point. When he gets more used to it, and once we get less hectic schedules, going used shouldn't be a problem, but for now I think suggestions for buying new would be the best.

This is really stupid reasoning Guitarcenter has a great 30 day return policy on used gear, and it will only cost $15ish to ship a heavyass amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 12, 2013,
go used and get a line6 flextone 2 or 3 and your done. Its a real gigging amp not a practice amp.
Quote by dlowe102
go used and get a line6 flextone 2 or 3 and your done. Its a real gigging amp not a practice amp.

I've been seeing more and more bands leaving their heavy tube amps at home and bringing their Mustang IIs to bar gigs instead. I'm not talking beginners, either--they've all been guys who've been playing in bands for 20-30 years.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.