Page 1 of 2
This is kind of a long story.. But I'm hoping my Pit bro's can give me some ideas on how to deal with this situation.

I started an emo/screamo/post-hardcore band with some friends back in December. Recently, we kicked our screamer out because he sucked and never came to practice. Anyway, one night I was just on Facebook when I ended up talking to somebody who might have been interested in being the replacement screamer. I told him we practiced at a church in Van Wert, and that our next practice was on Monday. He then sent me a recording of him screaming, which sucked ass. I kinda just said "Yeah, that's cool dude" because I felt bad. It turns out this guy lives more than 80 miles away.

Anyway, he texted me during school today asking for the address to the church, but I didnt want him to come to practice so I just ignored him. So we end up going to the church to practice, and while we're in the middle of a song, he randomly walks in!! It scared the shit out of me!! He came all the way from Michigan and searched all the churches in Van Wert until he found us!! Weird..

Anyway, after goofing off a little bit, the guitarist asked him to let us hear him screaming a little bit. So out of nowhere, he just grabbed the mic and let out a giant "DAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!" it was horrible, it was unbelievably loud, and he was all throat. The sound was so loud it caused the PA speakers to let out some horribly loud feedback. My grandpa heard the noise and came from across the street to come check on us to find out what the **** was going on, but that isn't the point.

After he left, we realized that the speakers were making a loud buzzing sound, and whenever we made noise into the mic, the speakers were really quiet. He ****ed them up. My grandparents own the church, and now I have to tell them that we ****ed up their $800 PA speakers. How do I do this? I'm nervous.
Get your 'friend' to pay for a replacement PA.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Travis Penisten

I started an emo/screamo/post-hardcore band .

What are your influences?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get your 'friend' to pay for a replacement PA.

Seriously. That.

And if he doesn't, sue the pants off him.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
well hell, tell the guy he ****ed them up. if he doesn't offer to pay, hint at it. if he does then let him.

if he doesn't take the hint say you need to pay out front.
Quote by blake1221

I'm influenced by "real" screamo like CTTS and Orchid and Hot Cross.. Everyone else is into stuff like Asking Alexandria and Of Mice & Men lmfaooooo. It usually comes out sounding like Alesana, which I'm okay with because I love them <3333
Quote by blake1221

I assumed what they listened to based solely on the face that they practice in a church.

Sorry, TS. I'm not sure what you can do except tell your grandparents and figure it out.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong.
Quote by Travis Penisten
I'm influenced by "real" screamo like CTTS and Orchid and Hot Cross..

Oh thank jeebus.

It usually comes out sounding like Alesana, which I'm okay with because I love them <3333

:/

In regards to your story, it was your bad for setting the levels too high in the first place. Screaming is loud.
Quote by Travis Penisten
I'm influenced by "real" screamo like CTTS and Orchid and Hot Cross.. Everyone else is into stuff like Asking Alexandria and Of Mice & Men lmfaooooo. It usually comes out sounding like Alesana, which I'm okay with because I love them <3333

lmfaoooo

But seriously though, roflmaox3
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
TS, maybe his vocals were just too br00tulz for you and your band. I mean, even Jim Gillette can't destroy speakers with his voice. Maybe you're just an ungrateful twat who can't recognize pure talent right when he sees it. Only a tr00 metulhed can hit those kinds of notes.

I even bet the guy's parents live in fear every morning, because when the guy wakes up, he lets out a power yawn that rumbles the house and overclocks his dad's pacemaker. That's also probably why he lives so far away from you guys, he doesn't want to kill you with the monstrous voice the Kvlt gods gave him. And here you are whining about him "ruining your grandparents' PA." Well fuck that, if he does that at every venue then the venue owners will know your band means business.
There's a difference between properly screaming, and literally screaming at the top of your lungs from your throat as loud as you possibly can
Just ask him to cover the repairs or are you afraid he will say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm gonna call him about it. He has to pay for it for setting the levels that high to begin with, we told him several times to not touch the mixing board, yet he did anyway, for "the sake of his voice"
Quote by wyldething
lmfaoooo

But seriously though, roflmaox3

________ A
________C
________E
________!
If he screwed them up, he fixes them or pays for new ones that's the of it and if he refuses to pay for repairs then its perfectly fine to sue
Quote by Travis Penisten
He has to pay for it for setting the levels that high to begin with, we told him several times to not touch the mixing board, yet he did anyway, for "the sake of his voice"

Ohhhhh. I was going to say that there's no way a guy yelling into a PA can break it. You let him use your equipment and THAT blew it. Good luck getting him to pay for it, he probably won't so maybe you can sue him or something.
I would try fixing it though if you know anyone who can or want to take it to a music/audio shop.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
so...

You don't want him to come but don't tell him that so you're surprised when he comes even though it was agreed all along that he would come...

Then you ask him to scream... and he screams... and you want him to pay for something that broke as a result of something you asked him to do?

A singer who is asked to sing into a PA shouldn't expect to consider wether or not it's going to break. ESPECIALLY if it's agreed all along that he would scream into it AND that you invited him to do it.

And honestly it sounds like the PA was a piece of shit if a singer can break it by screaming into it. I mean that's the whole point of having a PA... that you can scream into it without ****ing it up.

Sorry but the damage is on you. It was already a dick move on your part to ignore the guy because you didn't want to face him and tell him that he wasn't good enough to be in your band. Forcing him to pay for damage would just be ridiculous on your part.
I thought that kind of stuff only happened in Indiana...hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
At the very least, you can sever ties with this guy when he asks to come back; tell him he screwed up the PA system.

With the PA system, just wait until someone else uses it and when it sounds like crap, say, "Dude, whadya do?"
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by flexiblemile
so...

You don't want him to come but don't tell him that so you're surprised when he comes even though it was agreed all along that he would come...

Then you ask him to scream... and he screams... and you want him to pay for something that broke as a result of something you asked him to do?

A singer who is asked to sing into a PA shouldn't expect to consider wether or not it's going to break. ESPECIALLY if it's agreed all along that he would scream into it AND that you invited him to do it.

And honestly it sounds like the PA was a piece of shit if a singer can break it by screaming into it. I mean that's the whole point of having a PA... that you can scream into it without ****ing it up.

Sorry but the damage is on you. It was already a dick move on your part to ignore the guy because you didn't want to face him and tell him that he wasn't good enough to be in your band. Forcing him to pay for damage would just be ridiculous on your part.

the guy is obviously a douche. he drove 80 miles when he wasn't really invited and deliberately ignored someone and fucked something up. besides, if you were to voluntarily let me play your guitar, and I proceeded to beat the shit out of it, would you say that's your fault? that's dumb.

this assuming the story is true anyways. it doesn't sound that plausible.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
It's fairly clear that the dragonborn just auditioned for your band. Choose your next moves wisely.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I dunno man you know musicians arnt very reliable. Try to get him to pay for it when he doesn't take it to a shop, they might be able to fix it
With luck, you'll be able to repair the PA. You may have to hop a plane to Penistan to escape though.
Quote by Travis Penisten
This is kind of a long story.. But I'm hoping my Pit bro's can give me some ideas on how to deal with this situation.

I started an emo/screamo/post-hardcore band with some friends back in December. Recently, we kicked our screamer out because he sucked and never came to practice. Anyway, one night I was just on Facebook when I ended up talking to somebody who might have been interested in being the replacement screamer. I told him we practiced at a church in Van Wert, and that our next practice was on Monday. He then sent me a recording of him screaming, which sucked ass. I kinda just said "Yeah, that's cool dude" because I felt bad. It turns out this guy lives more than 80 miles away.

Anyway, he texted me during school today asking for the address to the church, but I didnt want him to come to practice so I just ignored him. So we end up going to the church to practice, and while we're in the middle of a song, he randomly walks in!! It scared the shit out of me!! He came all the way from Michigan and searched all the churches in Van Wert until he found us!! Weird..

Anyway, after goofing off a little bit, the guitarist asked him to let us hear him screaming a little bit. So out of nowhere, he just grabbed the mic and let out a giant "DAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!" it was horrible, it was unbelievably loud, and he was all throat. The sound was so loud it caused the PA speakers to let out some horribly loud feedback. My grandpa heard the noise and came from across the street to come check on us to find out what the **** was going on, but that isn't the point.

After he left, we realized that the speakers were making a loud buzzing sound, and whenever we made noise into the mic, the speakers were really quiet. He ****ed them up. My grandparents own the church, and now I have to tell them that we ****ed up their $800 PA speakers. How do I do this? I'm nervous.

You say "Grandma, Grandad, we're very sorry but we broke your PA speakers." then offer to get them some new ones. It's pretty straight forward standard practice for when you break something that belongs to someone else really.

Seriously though, what damage did you do to the speakers? (although I know it happened when the other guy screamed through them, you borrowed it, you let the guy scream through it, so you are responsible for it) Are the cones torn? If so you can actualy repair the tears in them with patches made from ladies nylon tights or stockings and nail varnish. Paint the varnish on around the tear, both sides. Then place a patch cut out from the tights over the tear so that it sticks to the varnish and give it another coat of varnish.
Honestly, unless you've already done this before, you wouldn't believe how effective a speaker patch this method makes.

Also, calm down. You're just telling your grandparents than you screwed up, it's not the end of the world y'know.
Remember, these folks are your grandparents, they love you, they realise that you're young and that everyone makes mistakes and, if you confess to it and offer to put it right, they should also be impressed with your honesty. It's not like they are about to beat you to a pulp or lock you up for your mistakes, it's not like they are going to broadcast tio everyone in the town that you are untrustworthy and cause you to become a social recluse. It's just a pair of speakers.

They may shout at you, they may look at you in a disappointed manner, but seriously, put it into perspective for a minute, all that shouting or looking disappointed will do is make you feel some mild embarrasment or discomfort for a short while, is it really something that you should be afraid of?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 12, 2013,
Quote by sloppyjoe24
I cannot provide any good advice here. But this story is goddamn hilarious.

i use to play that chord in your sig when i was at this chicks house and she ended up blowing me twice, so i think youre doing it wrong
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
i use to play that chord in your sig when i was at this chicks house and she ended up blowing me twice, so i think youre doing it wrong

Sticking your knob in the hoover whilst playing this chord doesnt fecking count
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Sticking your knob in the hoover whilst playing this chord doesnt fecking count

i gave that bitch a flat nine, bitches love flat nines.
Quote by blake1221

Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
Am I the only one that finds referring to the singer as a "screamer" is hysterical? This whole thing is a joke right?
You're the guy who left the mean comment on my profile! Screw you
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
You're the guy who left the mean comment on my profile! Screw you

You don't like Star Wars, screw you.
Page 1 of 2