I had a question regarding this song: http://youtu.be/7IndxxjZe1c?t=1m43s

During the solo portion, the chords played are C and D, but I can't identify what key it is in, and what scales would be appropriate to use over a vamp like this. Some guidance would be appreciated.
Honestly, you could play many things over that C - D vamp. It fits in G major well, you could play in either C or D mixolydian respectively, Em pentatonic might fit, or any combination of the three.

The important part about improv is to focus on what sounds good to you, not whether or not it fits in a scale. Do some exploring and find out what sounds good to you.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I'm going to toss my limited knowledge out there and say it isn't in any key. You can't apply a key to it if there are only 2 chords being played. The only other thing I would say would be to play off of the other chords used in the verse and/or chorus, besides the C and D chords in the solo riff, somehow

Again, very limited knowledge. Read purple below.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I'm going to toss my limited knowledge out there and say it isn't in any key. You can't apply a key to it if there are only 2 chords being played.

what lol

TS: transcribe what dweezil plays. this will help you a buttload - who knows better how to approach a zappa song than a zappa?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.