I'm not 100% sure exactly what DI boxes are for. I usually record direct from my Peavey 6505+'s preamp out into my interface and use cab simulators in my DAW. Should I have a DI box between the amp and the interface?
Nope. They're basically used to turn an instrument-level signal (what comes out of your guitar) into a line-level signal for using with a mixing desk/recording gear.

Your preamp output is probably already a line-level signal. Even if not, your interface will have both line and instrument-level inputs anyway.

An example of correct use of a DI box would be recording bass guitar in a studio.
The preamps on those big, old, large-format mixing desks don't tend to have an instrument level input like modern interfaces, so you'd plug the bass into a DI box.

The DI box would send a line-level signal to the desk at the correct impedance for recording, and could also feed the original signal through into a bass amp so they can hear themselves play.
Quote by kyle62
Nope. They're basically used to turn an instrument-level signal (what comes out of your guitar) into a line-level signal for using with a mixing desk/recording gear.

Your preamp output is probably already a line-level signal. Even if not, your interface will have both line and instrument-level inputs anyway.

An example of correct use of a DI box would be recording bass guitar in a studio.
The preamps on those big, old, large-format mixing desks don't tend to have an instrument level input like modern interfaces, so you'd plug the bass into a DI box.

The DI box would send a line-level signal to the desk at the correct impedance for recording, and could also feed the original signal through into a bass amp so they can hear themselves play.

Ahh ok. This reply answered a lot of questions.

Thanks