Page 1 of 3
Hey everybody, I was curious about different people's opinions on anabolic steroid use to build muscle. For the longest time I thought they were illegal and frowned upon in all competitive settings, similar to the way they are in cycling, baseball and the olympics. But it recently came to my attention that anabolic steroids are basically inherent to competitive body building, that they're not federally illegal, and that all the famous body builders such as Frank Zane and Arnold Schwarzenegger relied on steroids as well as exercise, proper diet, and other lifestyle modifications to reach the level of success they had as body builders. This is something I don't know how to feel about. I've been well taught (brain washed?) by years of anti-drug education to think that steroids are a bad thing, but I know there are undisputed side effects associated with them. But is it possible to use them healthily, or at least less harmfully, as part of a training regimen or something? There's a large community of "natural" body builders who are opposed to steroid use, but there is also an entire community associated with steroid culture, so there are definitely people who feel strongly both ways on this issue. If you were into body building, would you use steroids? (Please keep from discussing/criticizing body building as a whole, I know many people are opposed to it as a practice but that's not the point of this thread). Thanks.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
building legos is way more fun, anyways.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
If you don't think roids are good for sports, I'll shove my foot up your ass
I frown upon anyone who uses steroids, for any non-medical reason.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I want to live in a world where people with bionic limbs and steroid abuse compete against each other in contests that only gods could partake in.
No, because this guy is stronger and scarier then anyone who roids up.

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
well if anybody roids it makes a fair match doesn't it?
i think there are even 2 different leagues for bodybuilders, those who roid and those who are natural. because there's no way somebody can put on 250lbs muscle on a 5ft7 frame without help of science.

in my gym there are a few who have done some cycles (winstrol mainly) and gained 10lbs lean muscle per cycle however this was only for aesthetic goals and not for competition.
most people with a nerve disease like ASL of MS can be aided by roids so they can use they're muscles longer because they don't disintegrate as fast.
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Quote by Simsimius
No, because this guy is stronger and scarier then anyone who roids up.

What was that?

It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
A bloke I work with owns a gym and pushes steroids. I now look on any relatively muscular person with suspicion.

I couldn't care less if people use them non-competitively.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by lt mittens
well if anybody roids it makes a fair match doesn't it?
i think there are even 2 different leagues for bodybuilders, those who roid and those who are natural. because there's no way somebody can put on 250lbs muscle on a 5ft7 frame without help of science.

It mittens, you're totally right about there being two different leagues. I'm just not sure how much of a competition it is when everyone is taking steroids, in the anything-goes body builder competitions. Does it encourage them to take more steroid in less healthy ways? Can it still be fair even if some competitors are willing to over do it to the point of long-term bodily injury, while others feel the need to remain careful and not damage their bodies even if that hinders their success in competition?
I Want One!!!

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
building legos is way more fun, anyways.

I used to play with Lego as a kid and I can safely say it was much more fun once my parents started giving me steriods (age 9).
Roids in body building is like distortion in metal
you're never as free as when you are lost
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Roids in body building is like distortion in metal

Body building's nowhere near as gay as metal.

And body building's full of FAGS who look at each others biceps and are going to go to HELL for their sins.
Steroids turn you gay.
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
If you need a hormonal "performance enhancer" to participate in sport, you shouldn't be participating in sport in the first place.

Body building, in itself, seems quite an attractive thing to me, but as a contest, quite silly. I do not think there is any way that you will have no side effects by taking the amount of steroids you would now require to be taken seriously in a non-monitored contest.
Back in Arnold's day steroids were legal and they were openly discussed amongst bodybuilders. Arnold claims he only used them to maintain muscle which, if you've seen pictures of him when he was young, is sort of believable (he was already pretty big before he started taking them.) Also back then then used smaller doses.

Now modern bodybuilders uses more and they also use other things like human growth hormone (Sylvester Stallone uses this, it's also illeagle) and I seem to remember hearing something about people taking insulin but I can't remember exactly why it helped ( and no they aren't taking it for diabetes)
The use of Anabolic steroids without the written consent of a doctor for a medical reason is considered steroid abuse and is extremely illegal in many countries with the U.S. having the strictest rules as in the U.S. anabolic steroids are classified as a schedule III narcotic. Prolonged use of anabolic steroids can cause blood pressure and cholesterol level issues, and can also damage the liver.

The hair on your head will fall out, but you will grow more on your chest, back and ass; however on the upside you could end up with gynecomastia and all of a sudden have your own tits to play with, which is ok because odds are by then you will be so sterile and infertile from shrunken testicles.

If you get ripped while juicing and then stop for a long period of time the muscles will atrophy and essentially turn to fat. Muscle mass and muscle strength can be increased rapidly using steroids; however it doesn't strengthen your joints or ligaments, both injuries are common for serious body builders that use steroids.

And finally there is the good old roid rage, this is due to the steroids causing a neurological imbalance that causes the brain to stop producing serotonin, the enzyme that makes up "happy" prolonged use can increase depression and aggression, extended prolonged use can cause this to become permanent.

Now I put that all in there because I lift, I don't due it to be a builder or anything I just like being fit, I have seen a lot of people have problems when doing roids, I personally stayed away after seeing this stuff first hand. But with that said as with anything in moderation and properly controlled you can do some crazy shit with them, but of course there is always the risks. Just lift normally and feel great when you get natural muscles.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by bass-fale47
Back in Arnold's day steroids were legal and they were openly discussed amongst bodybuilders. Arnold claims he only used them to maintain muscle which, if you've seen pictures of him when he was young, is sort of believable (he was already pretty big before he started taking them.) Also back then then used smaller doses.)

Hearing that he only used steroid sparingly to maintain muscle is interesting because it implies his usage of them wasn't especially harmful. I know that steroid technology has improved since Arnold's hey-day, and if he was taking smaller doses back then he probably was not getting nearly the effect many modern body builders go for. But for all we know that could be bullshit, and it's possible that Arnold was greatly understating his steroid use. Do you think he's an example of relatively healthy steroid use? He probably felt some of the side effects, but nothing that slowed down his incredibly successful career.
I Want One!!!

Quote by JimmyBanks6
I frown upon anyone who uses steroids, for any non-medical reason.

Even if someone just uses them to achieve a certain aesthetic look with no intent to compete? If so, I think it's kind of silly for judging someone because of the way they want to look.
I'm far to lazy to read all that, but I'll just assume by roids you mean hemorrhoids, and by body building, you mean body building.

No, I do not get spontaneous hemorrhoids when body building.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If you are talking about competitive bodybuilding, I don't really care. The whole idea is to look super muscular and ripped. If they help get that look, go for it.
Quote by TheChaz
Even if someone just uses them to achieve a certain aesthetic look with no intent to compete? If so, I think it's kind of silly for judging someone because of the way they want to look.

Even more so then.

I have worked my ass off at the gym to get to a body that I wanted. 100% natural. I just got back from a 1.5 hour chest workout.

Edit/ not to mention the side effects. The drug is a hormone it effects your body very heavily.

There is a reason doctors are so hesitant to subscribe steroids.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Mar 12, 2013,
I think the use of steriods in any sport really disconnects the athletes from the audience. Most of us at least have a mate who is achieving highly in sports, and its nice to think that there is a chance for 'ordinary guys' to succeed. If I have a damn good game in sunday league rugby, then I can watch some poor pro standards and feel like I could roll with them in a few years. Rugby union is not a sport where steriod use is a problem.

However, if I was an aspiring sprinter, I would find it extremely disheartening to hear just how many top flight sprinters had to resort to unnatural means to succeed.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Even more so then.

I have worked my ass off at the gym to get to a body that I wanted. 100% natural. I just got back from a 1.5 hour chest workout.

Edit/ not to mention the side effects. The drug is a hormone it effects your body very heavily.

You do realize that just taking steroids doesn't grant you the "body that you want". Body builders who take steroids also work out more than natural ones do.
Quote by Salute to Jaco
incredibly successful career.

.... so are you going to become a tough guy actor with an atrociously funny accent or are you planning on being California's next governor?
Quote by Aralingh
You do realize that just taking steroids doesn't grant you the "body that you want". Body builders who take steroids also work out more than natural ones do.

His point is he has to work his ass off and DOESN'T use the aid of drugs to get the desired results...

edit: double post.. im a horrible person .... ....
Last edited by Scorpyin at Mar 12, 2013,
Quote by Scorpyin
His point is he has to work his ass off and DOESN'T use the aid of drugs to get the desired results...

edit: double post.. im a horrible person .... ....

His point is that if a person uses external products to better themselves or achieve a certain image, then he is clearly inferior to him.
Quote by Aralingh
His point is that if a person uses external products to better themselves or achieve a certain image, then he is clearly inferior to him.

Really, that was my point?
Well that's news to me.

You on roids? You're getting pretty defensive over this.

Quote by Aralingh
You do realize that just taking steroids doesn't grant you the "body that you want".

Not at all relevant to what was originally said, but I'll bite...

If it didnt give you such an advantage to obtaining the "body that you want", people wouldn't bother with it and its side-effects.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
There is a pretty good documentary titled "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" about this very issue. I recommend it.

My personal opinion: Getting bodybuilder big looks silly and hilarious; those guys can't even put their arms all the way down or touch their shoulders.

For personal use? Sure, I have no reason why people would need to recreationally take steroids, but there's no reason they should be illegal if they administered safely.

In sports? Difficult question to answer. I guess it levels the playing field if everyone can take steroids, the problem is in sports where there are highly specialized positions for each player, it would imbalance the game.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Really, that was my point?
Well that's news to me.

You on roids? You're getting pretty defensive over this.

Not at all relevant to what was originally said, but I'll bite...

If it didnt give you such an advantage to obtaining the "body that you want", people wouldn't bother with it and its side-effects.

I'm not.

But, I don't see why you consider people using this a problem. You understand yourself that there is risk to be taken in this, and if people are willing to take it, what's the issue?

Also, that really depends on the "body that you want", if you look at the really steroid-abusive body builders in the scene, I think you could honestly claim that there is no way that a well-built person would be able to achieve that without using a surplus of hormones. So if you want to have a body that is unrealistic to achieve without the use of steroids, why would you object to using them?
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Even more so then.

Yeah, people who use roids have to work out insanely hard to get that body though.

EDIT: I'm specifically talking about the super bulky look.
Last edited by TheChaz at Mar 12, 2013,
Quote by TheChaz
Yeah, people who use roids have to work out insanely hard to get that body though.

EDIT: I'm specifically talking about the super bulky look.

For that post I wasn't. Probably should have been, looking back at your post.

^Aralign i will get to your post in a minute, im trying to develop my thoughts first.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
For that post I wasn't. Probably should have been, looking back at your post.

^Aralign i will get to your post in a minute, im trying to develop my thoughts first.

Idk. I have no problem with people using roids. I don't want that bulgy, hulkish look, but for those that do, steroids are one of the most effective tools to get them there. They still have to work their asses off. Really I don't even care if people use roids to more easily maintain a reasonably muscular physique because it's no business of mine what someone puts in their body.
I really should be studying for a midterm and not discussing this, but ah well.

I've been thinking of the best way to explain my thoughts, and its going to be tough, but we will see:

IMO this is also a much deeper conversation than what we are going to get into here, which would also have a heavy focus on psychology and society.
Quote by Aralingh
I don't see why you consider people using this a problem. You understand yourself that there is risk to be taken in this, and if people are willing to take it, what's the issue?

The benefits outweight the risks, if the person is taking them in moderation as implied by this question, the goals that they can get with the steroids, can be had with a good nutrition and determination. Instead the person had to look to unnatural gains, with the inclusion of the possibility of multiple serious side-effects.

It mainly comes down to the fact that the goals a person have, can be completed with proper nutrition, determination, without the possibly severe side-effects that can be had from the use of steroids to get a little jump.

And since i keep bringing up side-effects, the psychiatric side-effects really stand out as alarming to me, they can cause violence, mania, depression, i've heard of it causing psychosis. It's not possible for me to approve of a person using a hormone that can cause these effects, for a quick boost at the gym. I am an advocate of "for each his own" to a certain limit, and steroids doesn't fit into that.

If the side-effects didn't have the possibility of being so severe, doctors would prescribe them much more commonly for medical reasons.

Also, that really depends on the "body that you want", if you look at the really steroid-abusive body builders in the scene, I think you could honestly claim that there is no way that a well-built person would be able to achieve that without using a surplus of hormones. So if you want to have a body that is unrealistic to achieve without the use of steroids, why would you object to using them?

At this point it is likely the person has become addicted to size gain and/or interested in making money at competitions. The size-gain would be a psychological discussion that i dont really feel the need to get into.

For the same reason that I don't approve of steroids in cycling, and other professional sports, it creates an impossibility for others to compete without having taking a body-harming substance.
Im an advocate for people having dreams, and not having to use drugs/hormones that will cause adverse effects to achieve them.
Allowing steroids into the mix for competing, eliminates that ability.

Now, if there are steroid and non-steroid competitions, that is another story, however, it still makes it impossible for the non-hormone injecting person to truly obtain being the best-of-the-best.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by TheChaz
Idk. I have no problem with people using roids. I don't want that bulgy, hulkish look, but for those that do, steroids are one of the most effective tools to get them there. They still have to work their asses off. Really I don't even care if people use roids to more easily maintain a reasonably muscular physique because it's no business of mine what someone puts in their body.

see above post for my thoughts

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
They shrivel your balls.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
see above post for my thoughts

Completely understandable POV, but I disagree almost entirely
Page 1 of 3